New York private land/how should I hunt it?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

New York private land/how should I hunt it?

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:24 pm

This is some private land I started hunting late November last year. The red is the outline of the 135 acres, white is where I believe they bed, and green is apple trees. The other portion outlined at the top is a pasture that has some apple trees as well. Acorns drop around the woods too. I've got a small buck on cam and several does. I'm curious what you might recommend as far as hunting it goes? I'll be bow hunting this year which starts October first here in New York and rut is usually around the second week of November I believe. Any feedback is appreciated! I can only think to hunt to bedding/funnels during rut in hopes of some bucks cruising around. My uncle took a decent 8 point years ago and I saw a bit of old rubs last year and scrapes too so I hope to see some action this year!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: New York private land/how should I hunt it?

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:48 pm

I like the transition in the woods to the west along the creek bottom. Looks like the type of trees change. I would hunt all the inner transitions in the woods. Boots on the ground to verify the best ones. Next winter look for the beds. I would also sit back and do some observation sits before diving in. I also see a small ox bow in the creek would be a good place to check

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:53 pm

First thing I would want to do would be to try and get some inventory of the bucks using the property. I would want to know what food sources are producing this year. Apples and acorns are a big one. I see a lot of transition lines (edges) that you could be walking.

For the rut to be good, you need to know where your doe groups bed. For October, you really need to know where your bucks bed. BUT sometimes you can get lucky and bucks will be close to a hot food source and you can catch a good buck first week of Oct feeding on apples or acorns in broad daylight. Thats why cameras on the apple trees and oak trees would be super important to me. All of us here in the Northeast have killed our fair share of good bucks on early season food sources back in the timber, many of my buddies have no idea where the buck is bedding at.

It looks like there are some roads that run through it...you should be able to get a fair amount of intel also glassing. I would be driving it as many evenings as I can in August / September looking...again just trying to get an inventory of the bucks that are using it.

Bottom line, you cannot kill what is not there.
Mschmeiske
500 Club

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:09 am

I found scrapes and rubs last year so something was running around but it was late season so who knows if they survived or of what caliber they were. I've had cameras near trails and the creek bottom. I think I might go check them this weekend and get them on apples/acorns and leave them there for awhile. If there's not many bucks around but several does, would it still be a good idea to hunt during rut for cruising bucks? There's definitely does and breeding going on near by. I've noticed heavy traffic on the right hand side and they were running the back edge of the pasture too. I kicked some deer in the creek bottom and left hand woods too but no bucks that I could tell.. Definitely gonna take my time and be more stealth when I'm in there. Last year taught me a lot but I have a long ways to go!

DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:26 am

Inside corner with a double edge because of creek and tree species change. It might be good in the rut depending on what it connects to and from. There looks to be a little topography in the general area.

Red dot: Image

[ Post made via Android ] Image
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:47 am

I'm really liking that inside corner near the creek that deerdylan suggested. Try and get to a good vantage point and do some glossing during the evening. If you can try and shine real late into the night.
Getting to cams transitioned on to apples would be a solid move. Hopefully they are producing this year on your property. I haven't seen much for growth. Make sure you take a pair of binos with you and glass the tops of oaks to try and get a good feel on the crop this year and maybe get a good gut feeling on one that may drop first.

I was also thinking about that land above you, it may get enough pressure to help stack them over on your property.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:54 am

I can't see it real well but I like the brushy transition in the far upper right - looks like some good transitions and close to some apple trees that might be a food dependent bedding when the apples drop. From what I can see it looks like some points jut out to the east into the brush?

Like Maine mentioned there are several good transitions to walk and there are several inside corners as mentioned.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:02 am

tbunao wrote:I'm really liking that inside corner near the creek that deerdylan suggested. Try and get to a good vantage point and do some glossing during the evening. If you can try and shine real late into the night.
Getting to cams transitioned on to apples would be a solid move. Hopefully they are producing this year on your property. I haven't seen much for growth. [glow=red]Make sure you take a pair of binos with you and glass the tops of oaks to try and get a good feel on the crop this year and maybe get a good gut feeling on one that may drop first[/glow].

I was also thinking about that land above you, it may get enough pressure to help stack them over on your property.

I always carry a pair of binos with me this time of year for the very same purpose. Everytime I check cams, I check my food sources. I also use it to check apples.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:21 pm

Scribble out where deer aren't, you will walk, your wind will go and that ROW (NY shooting lane). Glass and/or cam what's left. This is NY- don't hunt it wo a specific purpose when your fact gathering tells you all the variables are lined up. Deer don't know your pressure from your neighbors.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:48 pm

gjs4 wrote:Scribble out where deer aren't, you will walk, your wind will go and that ROW (NY shooting lane). Glass and/or cam what's left. This is NY- don't hunt it wo a specific purpose when your fact gathering tells you all the variables are lined up. Deer don't know your pressure from your neighbors.

Right there! And the part about the deer don't know the difference between you and your neighbors. If I remember right the land to the north is public. Let them stink that out and keep your spot fresh.

DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:58 pm

tbunao wrote:
gjs4 wrote:Scribble out where deer aren't, you will walk, your wind will go and that ROW (NY shooting lane). Glass and/or cam what's left. This is NY- don't hunt it wo a specific purpose when your fact gathering tells you all the variables are lined up. Deer don't know your pressure from your neighbors.

Right there! And the part about the deer don't know the difference between you and your neighbors. If I remember right the land to the north is public. Let them stink that out and keep your spot fresh.

I knew I liked you guys for some reason haha

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Mschmeiske
500 Club

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:38 pm

Just below that corner you guys like I believe I found a bed last year at the top of the ridge with a steep trail that dropped down to the crick! And Tbunao you are correct, state land to the north and south east and a little farther south west. I've been up there every couple or few weeks for the past two months just to check cams. Always some does or small buck on cam. Should I go up before the end of this month and check the food and get cameras set up there and just leave it for the next two months to let it cool before season opens? If so.. When should I check the cams again? There's slight pressure because my grandpa lives there and has cows to feed in the pasture (I kicked something out of there last year) and cuts trees now and again, but it didn't seem to keep deer away last year.. Although a mature buck might be a different story...another question... Would the deer be more likely to run the creek bed itself or the ridge??

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”