Question for Dan...anyone can help though!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RidgeReaper

Question for Dan...anyone can help though!

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:12 pm

I was re-listening to an old podcast yesterday from wired to hunt where you, (Dan) were interviewed about the "October Lull". In that episode you had explained where in hill country, when a buck is choosing to bed at the top third elevation, it is better to be above them on their exit route. This way you can avoid being detected via thermals...I totally see that point and my question is this...Do you think that still comes into effect in hilly farm country where major food sources are "below" them? Do you think they exit bedding going away from easier more obvious foods often?
My situation is a private farm I hunt sometimes and last year I killed my best buck off of his bed just "below" him on a slope. I had a wind coming over his back in the forecast but my thermals were pulling almost straight up to him. Thankfully I was East of his bed (I went and found his bed after bow season) just far enough to where my thermal went just past him to his East giving him that false security walking into the thermal toward me. I would guess that more often than not he is going to go downhill when exiting his bed because of the food. I witnessed a much bigger buck (that my wife actually missed) a few hundred yards from this location, do the exact same thing...heading down to feed from his bed. I found his bed too and I guess this is where doing my own research and making all of these tips and strategies work for my area come into play. Not all areas will yield the same situations...I was just curious as to what you think about this. Thanks Dan and to anyone else who may want to add anything as well.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Question for Dan...anyone can help though!

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:28 am

I didn't mean to imply that you should hunt a deer from above if he is dropping... Its just easier. You do have to hunt them in the direction there heading. Its just harder to evening hunt a buck that is dropping. What you pulled off is kinda what I refer to a "just off wind" in your case a thermal though...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”