2016 Rut

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: 2016 Rut

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:22 pm

Stanley wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:Best Rut Strategy spend every available hour you can in a tree between Halloween and Thanksgiving.... .

Lot of truth in this statement.

I'd take early September (or earlier) over the rut to kill any good buck, especially private or larger public tracts. The patterns are so much more consistent.

This statement still is applicable though. I hunt a fair amount of spillover on smaller pieces of public. The best time to kill these deer is between Halloween and Thanksgiving. They are so much more unpredictable though. A single hot doe can chew up a half week of stand time. Its exciting though.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:13 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Stanley wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:Best Rut Strategy spend every available hour you can in a tree between Halloween and Thanksgiving.... .

Lot of truth in this statement.

I'd take early September (or earlier) over the rut to kill any good buck, especially private or larger public tracts. The patterns are so much more consistent.

This statement still is applicable though. I hunt a fair amount of spillover on smaller pieces of public. The best time to kill these deer is between Halloween and Thanksgiving. They are so much more unpredictable though. A single hot doe can chew up a half week of stand time. Its exciting though.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I hear ya and don't disagree however, only a small handful of states have Sept seasons... and I agree it is probably the easiest time during the season to pattern a mature buck (with the exception of late season bean fields) - but very few record book deer are killed in Sept... even among the Beast hunters very few get on and kill a great buck in Sept. I know it happens, but not very consistently...... if I could I would dang sure be after them in Sept. However, I personally wouldn't give up my Nov rut hunt in Ohio for an early season Sept hunt there..... we don't even hunt most of Oct - we wait for the last weekend in Oct.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:19 am

i take off 36-38 days every fall a few days before Halloween to a few days after thanksgiving and I do just that, spend as many hours in a tree as I can. I feel like I need a vacation after that marathon is over every year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”