Cold front movement

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Cold front movement

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:56 pm

Curious about experiences with movement related to cold fronts. After a front passes, for how long do you normally see additional early movement? Is it just the day of, day after, 2 days? Does the severity of the front plant a role?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Re: Cold front movement

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:20 am

In my opionon there are a few factors that make a front good or bad. If the front brings in some cooler weather along with a good rain in october, I like the day after the best. That is probably my favorite type of front to hunt. As far as how long the movement is good for, I'm not really sure to be honest.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:54 am

I reference the Drury's for weather stuff quite a bit... QDM says the day after a cool front is great for summer scouting bucks, plus what Mibowfreak ^^^ just said I have to agree w. For me...life doesn't get much better, than a October morning that is still wet and cool from the day before.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:56 am

The day after when the winds calm. One of the best days I've ever had hunting was right after a cold front in early November. Me and my cousin doubled on a 12 point and an 8 point. I remember that same day and the day after a ton of big bucks were shot on social media

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:04 am

A good cold front may be one of the best determining factors for big buck hunting that day. A good cold front at the start of the rut can really get things rolling.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
SonofUlam

Unread postby SonofUlam » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:37 am

I might be totally off here, but it seems like I often see quite a bit of activity just before the brunt of a front hits (like 8hrs or so prior). It's almost like they can sense the storm about to hit and start to both eat and move for cover in preperation. Anyone else seen that or am I imagining things?

[glow=green]1 Chronicles 8:40, "The sons of Ulam were brave warriors who could handle the bow..."[/glow]
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:33 am

I like the day before/ or of a cold front and then the 3 days after it lets up..... basically anytime the pressure rises or drops I see increased mvoement
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:44 am

Its one of those things that gets more complex the closer you look at it.

On a BIG front, with big low pressure with a lot of bad weather/percip expected as the front moves through, I see a spike in movement before, while the barometer is still falling. On smaller to average fronts I don't see much movement beforehand. Deer know they can just sit tight.

The best movement I see is right after the cold front moves through and high pressure begins to build in - the winds are northerly, cool, and pressure is climbing. The higher the pressure climb, the better. Usually this is 6-24 hrs after the bad weather moves through, so basically the next morning or evening.

For whatever reason I also see better movement on the tail end of high pressure systems, when pressure is still high but beginning to fall. Often the wind is switching which I have wondered may contribute to the deer movement - adjusting to new bedding locations.

My advice is hunt cold fronts by the barometer. Try to hit that rising-to-high pressure. If its a giant front with a huge low pressure, then try to hunt before the front too.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:42 am

Amazing to me how you always see more people at the grocery before a storm. I never paid much attention to the after.

Do you all tend to see them moving more throughout the day or just earlier (evening) and later coming back in the morning? Outside the rut just wondering if it would make sense for an all day sit post cold front.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:31 am

If you haven't had a chance to listen to this podcast, take the time to check it out. A bunch of great topics about deer movement. Mainly the talk is about weather and high pressure systems.

http://wiredtohunt.com/2015/07/09/the-w ... ark-drury/

Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:45 pm

Heres what I typically see down south...
Our storms typically come thru at the end of the day. Just before the storm...The morning and midday movement is good and then evening has little to no movement. Storm passes thru over night and the following day brings high winds with little movement. The following morning is much cooler with calmer winds and movement is excellent. I can say that my trail cameras tell me the BUCKS move more on windy days...not high winds though. They tend to move more with 10-20 mph winds.
Higher barometric pressure equals better chances for DEER movement.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”