Question for wader/hip boot users

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ZSV
500 Club

Question for wader/hip boot users

Unread postby ZSV » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:20 am

Most of the public land in my area has some good creeks/rivers going through them, which is why I will be focusing my rut hunting around the funnels they create.
Most of these rut hunts will just be cyber scouting then going in blind. So not knowing how deep the water will be I'll be wearing hip boots to stay dry and I plan to setup right next to the creeks/rivers.

My question is: What do you do with your waders or hip boots when you get to your stand site? You don't wear them in stand do you? I would like to leave them on the ground, but worry about my scent on them since I plan to setup right next to the water. If I'm playing the wind right and hunt with my scent blowing toward the creek with my boots at the base of my tree would that work?

Thanks in advance for your help!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
Beauford

Re: Question for wader/hip boot users

Unread postby Beauford » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:43 am

I wear hip boots for most my sit's. It depends on the weather really. If it's not that cold I just leave them on for the hunt. Closer to the rut and longer sits I take another pair of boots & socks with me and change below my stand. Last year the buck I shot with my bow was straight below me mere feet away from my hip boots, he never smelled them or seen them. He was so close I had to have him walk away for the shot. I do like to try and put a little ground dirt or leaves over them for the smell part. Also got longer time on stand I like taking another pair of boots, hip boots can make your feet and back hurt while on stand.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:56 am

I wear them in the stand. Don't usually use waders anymore but when I do I carry a pair of shoes and change in tree or at the base

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Make It Happen
Whitecanoe

Unread postby Whitecanoe » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:38 am

I wear them.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:11 am

I wear them and change into boots at the base of the tree, or sometimes immediately after crossing a creek. My biggest buck I arrowed as he was smelling my hip boots :lol:

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:36 am

Mine are neoprene uppers so I just roll the top down and wear them on stand or keep them up if cold. Don't want to carry extra boots on long walks.

mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:37 am

I will take them off immediately after crossing the creek and leave them there. Over the past few seasons I have been busted by old does that spot the waders at the base of my tree even though I dumped leaves and brush over them... but those stinkin' deer know their stomping grounds and picked out "something wrong" and blew out. Now i always leave them at the creek crossing and haven't had an issue.
ZSV
500 Club

Unread postby ZSV » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:07 pm

Thanks for the help everyone! Dewey, I like your idea of rolling down your neoprene hip boots. I'll have to look into getting some. Just saw a good deal on fieldsupply.com.

“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:17 pm

I prefer frog legs. They can be custom constructed with a boot of your preference.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:18 pm

mibowhunter wrote:I will take them off immediately after crossing the creek and leave them there. Over the past few seasons I have been busted by old does that spot the waders at the base of my tree even though I dumped leaves and brush over them... but those stinkin' deer know their stomping grounds and picked out "something wrong" and blew out. Now i always leave them at the creek crossing and haven't had an issue.

X2.... I carry one of those lawn and garden contractor trash bags and when I cross the creek I simply take them off and put them in the bag until I return that evening. Just trying to limit the amount of scent that carries down the creek from leaving then laying on the bank

jessejames

Unread postby jessejames » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:42 am

I tie my rubber boots to my stand and change after crossing the water. I have rolled them down as some suggested but I found them to be uncomfortable esp when your feet are sweaty from the hike in.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:10 am

If its cold enough out i just wear my hip boots the whole hunt and even wear lightweight pants over them to protect them. If its warmer weather up to mid october i just wear wool and wade, carrying an extra pair of dry socks and shoes for sitting in the stand. Still trying to find the perfect solution/process.

If i need chest waders, i only wear them when making a crossing and take them off on the other side. Too uncomfortable to hike and sit in.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:37 am

I'm also in the just wear them group. Even chest waders if I need them. Neoprene Chest waders can be nice and warm for colder rut hunts too! Never had an issue.
rff

Unread postby rff » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:31 am

Good friend of mine wears his waders right in tree while wearing a tree saddle. He puts the hammer to big bucks, as in 166 inch, every year in SE Michigan.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

I bought a pair of rubber lacrosse hip waders for last season. They're ok about 60 degrees and lower after that I don't like wearing them I just get wet

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”