Northern guys/big woods guys...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JohnFunn

Northern guys/big woods guys...

Unread postby JohnFunn » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:51 pm

Just wondering. ...(for those of us without corn and soybeans) how often have you seen deer out feeding on popal cuts during the summer or early fall? If at all? I know late season they are the "up north" version of a food plot....

[ Post made via Android ] Image

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: Northern guys/big woods guys...

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:12 am

JohnFunn wrote:Just wondering. ...(for those of us without corn and soybeans) how often have you seen deer out feeding on popal cuts during the summer or early fall? If at all? I know late season they are the "up north" version of a food plot....

I don't see bucks often anywhere observing during the summer. August is the best month and I will be lucky to get eyeballs on a couple bucks in one of my better areas.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:14 am

When you can drive by an apple orchard and they don't cage any of their young trees, you know the deer densities are low.
JohnFunn

Unread postby JohnFunn » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:25 am

mainebowhunter wrote:When you can drive by an apple orchard and they don't cage any of their young trees, you know the deer densities are low.

Yikes! Thats rough no doubt! I feel for you...we've had a few rough years up here too... (or down here to you!) but the tide is definitely turning

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:05 am

You aren't going to have much luck glassing them in a recent cutting, not saying it can't happen but after dozens of attempts I've never spotted one. The thing about bigwoods deer is they are use to cover 100% of the time so if they don't have to they will not step out into the open until after dark. Also it only takes a couple of years for that new grows to reach 6-8 feet so often they might be out there but it's nearly impossible to see them.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:26 am

headgear wrote:You aren't going to have much luck glassing them in a recent cutting, not saying it can't happen but after dozens of attempts I've never spotted one. The thing about bigwoods deer is they are use to cover 100% of the time so if they don't have to they will not step out into the open until after dark. Also it only takes a couple of years for that new grows to reach 6-8 feet so often they might be out there but it's nearly impossible to see them.

Pretty much is why I never see them until August when the apples start dropping. There is no reason for them to come out of the cover.
JohnFunn

Unread postby JohnFunn » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:57 am

headgear wrote:You aren't going to have much luck glassing them in a recent cutting, not saying it can't happen but after dozens of attempts I've never spotted one. The thing about bigwoods deer is they are use to cover 100% of the time so if they don't have to they will not step out into the open until after dark. Also it only takes a couple of years for that new grows to reach 6-8 feet so often they might be out there but it's nearly impossible to see them.

Roger that, good info! Still curious though if the'll be out there feeding on the leaves as a food source...or maybe its way down on thier list?...will have to rule in or rule out either way....

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:08 am

mainebowhunter wrote:Pretty much is why I never see them until August when the apples start dropping. There is no reason for them to come out of the cover.

We don't seem to have much for apples in Northern MN save for a few back yard trees and rare orchard but most of those seem much further south anyway so I see almost no daytime activity out in the open. The bucks are certainly moving during the day but just stay in cover at all times.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:30 am

headgear wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:Pretty much is why I never see them until August when the apples start dropping. There is no reason for them to come out of the cover.

We don't seem to have much for apples in Northern MN save for a few back yard trees and rare orchard but most of those seem much further south anyway so I see almost no daytime activity out in the open. The bucks are certainly moving during the day but just stay in cover at all times.

Without the apples, pretty much would do the same thing here. You do see a few here and there on hayfields. But not many.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:50 am

JohnFunn wrote:Just wondering. ...(for those of us without corn and soybeans) how often have you seen deer out feeding on popal cuts during the summer or early fall? If at all? I know late season they are the "up north" version of a food plot....

They will eat the leaves and small stems right now and well into August in the cuts- it is just one of many in-woods food sources they take advantage of. If the cut is not disturbed and they do not detect any predator scent, mature bucks will sometimes show and feed during the daylight. They don't like being in the open and our trailcam pics show them in cuts that have 6 feet or more of growth. The biggest we have a pic of in daylight is a 150+ ten point from a few years back, he was in velvet when the trailcam took the shot. Glassing these bucks would be difficult as the cover is so thick.
JohnFunn

Unread postby JohnFunn » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:58 am

Singing Bridge wrote:

They will eat the leaves and small stems right now and well into August in the cuts- it is just one of many in-woods food sources they take advantage of. If the cut is not disturbed and they do not detect any predator scent, mature bucks will sometimes show and feed during the daylight. They don't like being in the open and our trailcam pics show them in cuts that have 6 feet or more of growth. The biggest we have a pic of in daylight is a 150+ ten point from a few years back, he was in velvet when the trailcam took the shot. Glassing these bucks would be difficult as the cover is so thick.

Excellent! So they are probably there...day or night.. just hard to get a Visual on them....i was more curious if they are using them vs setting up right in the cut

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:16 pm

Excellent! So they are probably there...day or night.. just hard to get a Visual on them....i was more curious if they are using them vs setting up right in the cut

Sometimes...
If the cut isn't disturbed and bedding is nearby or in the cut itself, or on the transition of the cut, we see daytime movement.

One of the best ways to get onto a good buck near a cut, if you have no prior intel, is to scout the transition line of the cut and the main woods the first ten days of September- preferrably when it is raining. This is early and the bucks are just starting to shed velvet. It isn't uncommon to find a good rub then (Michigan) along the transition and I have found it to be a good buck (3 or older) most of the time. Bucks typically do not move a bunch at this time of the year and when I find one of these rubs the buck is often bedded nearby.

Disturbing the buck with human scent can be costly- being as low impact as possible is important.
JohnFunn

Unread postby JohnFunn » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:37 am

Singing Bridge wrote:

Sometimes...
If the cut isn't disturbed and bedding is nearby or in the cut itself, or on the transition of the cut, we see daytime movement.

One of the best ways to get onto a good buck near a cut, if you have no prior intel, is to scout the transition line of the cut and the main woods the first ten days of September- preferrably when it is raining. This is early and the bucks are just starting to shed velvet. It isn't uncommon to find a good rub then (Michigan) along the transition and I have found it to be a good buck (3 or older) most of the time. Bucks typically do not move a bunch at this time of the year and when I find one of these rubs the buck is often bedded nearby.

Disturbing the buck with human scent can be costly- being as low impact as possible is important.

Thank you Singing Bridge! Great info on scouting a new(er) cut first part of sept...makes perfect sense but i wouldnt have thought of it. Secondly, i have leared to love rain days after seeing first hand how a mature buck reacts to my bootprints (sure wish i knew how to add emogies here!)

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:11 am

JohnFunn wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:

Sometimes...

Thank you Singing Bridge! Great info on scouting a new(er) cut first part of sept...makes perfect sense but i wouldnt have thought of it. Secondly, i have leared to love rain days after seeing first hand how a mature buck reacts to my bootprints (sure wish i knew how to add emogies here!)

I should add that oversized buck tracks and / or oversized droppings will have the same impact on me as finding one of the rubs I mentioned. I try to never get completely caught up in interpreting a single type of buck sign.
JohnFunn

Unread postby JohnFunn » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:18 am

Singing Bridge wrote:
JohnFunn wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:

Sometimes...

I should add that oversized buck tracks and / or oversized droppings will have the same impact on me as finding one of the rubs I mentioned. I try to never get completely caught up in interpreting a single type of buck sign.

Roger that! Thank you S.B.!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”