Over hunting a rut stand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Over hunting a rut stand

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:13 pm

[glow=red]Keeping a low profile is paramount when bed hunting. As Beast members we know that.[/glow] I see a lot of people, and some very respected members, saying they only sit stands once or twice... even during the rut.

I'm by no means saying they're wrong and I'm right, this thread is all about discussion.... but I can't imagine only hunting my two best rut sets once a piece. Furthermore, convince me that twice is a crime.

:think:

Some don't like hunting the rut as much as earlier in the year or mid/late October because they "never know where that buck will be come rut". I completely understand that logic and it makes perfect sense!

To me, a great rut set is a great rut set and worthy of multiple sits. We all talk about how a buck can be here one day and 2 miles away the next. :? Lots of people shoot mature bucks they've never seen before. Honestly nobody knows what's going to happen and that's what makes the rut so fun.

My point is, pre-Beast, I over hunted the crap out of ALL of my stands. But I was still successful during rut EVERY year when I started applying myself and scouting more. Since I've joined, I've tipped toe'd around WAY more and actually been less successful. Of course luck always play a big part.

I know I'm far from proficient with Beast tactics and deer behavior varies by region, but I think this is a good topic for discussion. To me, you shouldn't feel guilty about sitting that "Ace in the Hole" rut stand 3 times, maybe more.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Over hunting a rut stand

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:23 pm

Here's my thoughts.... after years of using cameras i find bucks during the rut have travel cycles. They usually come back through once every three to six days (esp if they find a receptive doe). They are working their home range and checking doe bedding areas for the most part. It's a total crap shoot to think you can hit it once and expect consistent results during the rut. While other deer might pick up your scent the target buck won't until he gets back in the area. This is why I frequently hunt the same funnels for several days in a row. I might change trees if there is a wind shift but if the sign is hot I often hunt it three to four days in a row during the peak rut and few days after.

I do think it is more productive to hunt it 3 days in a row compared to hunting it there separate days over the course of the week or so. Once he comes through he will be on to you.

Just how one old fart approaches it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:34 pm

If it's a good rut spot it's a good rut spot, if I have confidence in the spot, I will hunt it more than once. The buck you educate on day one probably won't be the buck you kill on day two or three. I bounce around alot, but have no problem hunting the same stand again during the peak rut.....for me this usually means 11/7 until 11/13 give or take a couple of days.

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:43 pm

Two things that I think are important to consider (no surprises) here.

1. Access. If I can hunt the outside bend of a river oxbow or similarly clean access stand where I can use the water or a ditch, etc to access and not cross any deer trails, if the wind is consistent and there is a target buck in the area, I personally would hunt it more than twice. But it's a judgment call at that point.

If I have to walk across lots of deer trails to get to a good rut set, I'm less inclined to give it multiple sits.

2. Resident does - While I think does are a little less prone to abandon an area due to repeated sits, it doesn't take that much longer for them to catch on. If the does catch on to my set, the jig is up in my opinion and I'm definitely looking to move on at that point. No point in being in a doe free zone during the rut.

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:51 pm

I think it depends on the stand site. Access is everything imop for multiple sits period. If a buck smells your stand site or access trail after you leave it could end the gig for that buck but another "might" cruise in the rut is tough for me. Having said that i think old deer are old by not cruising willy nilly in rut. 3.5 and younger not a big deal for multiple sits. But older deer have core areas they like and stick to them pretty consistently. They maybe separate rut core areas. So I still like bed hunting in the afternoon in rut especially early on. There something about the element of suprise on a first sit that you could potentially lose on multiple sits. I will usually throw another sit at a prime area but more often than not my best rut sits are still 1st time but I have had 2 sit of a area produce.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:01 pm

I've got some trail cam pics that I'll dig up along with details, but until then I'd like to mention something. The thing that stuck out to me in Marsh Bucks/Hill Country Bucks was when Dan said "People are using rut tactics all year long". That was me to a tee. And I'd felt like I wasted all my early season hunts my whole life.

But I was still successful during the rut in my "old stand by" stand location even though it was my 3rd, 4th, maybe even 5th sit...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:08 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:Two things that I think are important to consider (no surprises) here.

1. Access. If I can hunt the outside bend of a river oxbow or similarly clean access stand where I can use the water or a ditch, etc to access and not cross any deer trails, if the wind is consistent and there is a target buck in the area, I personally would hunt it more than twice. But it's a judgment call at that point.

If I have to walk across lots of deer trails to get to a good rut set, I'm less inclined to give it multiple sits.

2. Resident does - While I think does are a little less prone to abandon an area due to repeated sits, it doesn't take that much longer for them to catch on. If the does catch on to my set, the jig is up in my opinion and I'm definitely looking to move on at that point. No point in being in a doe free zone during the rut.

You hit the nail on the head with tipping off does. That is my biggest issue with sitting multiple days in one rut spot. My best rut spots are very dependent on doe movement and estrous does in particular. If they figure you out, and you can bet that will happen, then all that good scent bucks are looking for will be taking them somewhere else. Spook the does and your in for some very slow all day sit's. I have gotten away with two sits in a row but beyond that sightings take a drastic nosedive.

If your hunting downwind of doe bedding like many of us do during the rut I think multiple day sits can hurt you. The best plan of attack is save it for the right day if you have some history with a spot. It's uncanny how you can pinpoint peak chasing down to the day if all other conditions are right. I have one spot that I get real excited about a south wind on November 2nd. It's unbelievable how much action I can get with that pattern in that spot and killed my two biggest bucks this way while hunting downwind of the doe bedding area. The action can be nothing short of spectacular...........until I get busted by a few does.

I think you can get away with multiple day sits easier in areas where travel is more terrain dependent and not so much near doe bedding. Hill country comes to mind but I don't have a ton of experience putting that to test. Hope to figure that out this fall.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:25 pm

I tend to move around the same area even during the rut. I will also hunt a stand until it goes cold, wind tends to dictate a lot of stand changes. Mostly because as has been mentioned, what deer shows today, may not be back that way for a week. I have had a lot of luck hunting certain funnels in doe bedding areas during the rut. Buck I killed this year, knew he was around but it was the first time I had ever seen him come through the funnel. Got bunch pics of him. Another great buck that I passed, only saw him come through the funnel once in 2 weeks. 2 cams there. I saw him again on the farm but never again in that funnel.

And buck #3 that I was hunting in that same area, saw him from the funnel stand...but he never actually came through the funnel 1x in 2 weeks. Saw a few different 2.5 and 3.5 use the funnel regularly.

I think the hardest thing with rut funnels /travel corridors is learning to be patient, sit and wait. Sitting in a funnel for 6 days on the right wind just might not be your style. I typically am in the woods from dawn till dark as long as their are no "chores" that need to be attended to. I do switch up though. Beds in the morning through afternoon. Food for the last couple hours of the night. Really just want to catch a hot doe bringing a buck to the food source.

There is no better place I want to be in November then right near a doe bed, watching the does file back and disappear into their beds.

You just have to roll with the tactic / method that works for you on the properties you hunt. I will also say, a lot of my tactics are based on the fact I am rut hunting for 2 weeks. Have to scout, have to hang sets, have to push into an area and make it work.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:46 pm

I often bounce from spot to spot during the rut in attempt to find that hot doe hanging out in her area. She will stay in her area a lot of times an get pushed around by several bucks. I will set usually one morning an evening an next morning. If I do not see what I want I move again. I know a lot of people that will see a good buck an hang up right there for days. I sit maybe a evening an the next morning I'm sitting where it looks to be the next best area he was headed. That may not be but the next set of hills, bottoms or other end of last years clear cut over.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:04 pm

If you believe Telemetry studies, the overwhelming majority of bucks only stay with a doe about 36 hours or less to breed her..... and while he is with her he is pretty unpredictable. So if you are waiting to see a mature buck with a hot doe and set up the next day there's a very good chance you will find yourself behind the action?

IMHO, the best chance to get him is while he is searching for a hot doe...... and mature bucks have a method to find them... they don't just walk around randomly, their moves are very purposeful. So, by using past years info, you can try to predict, at least to some degree, when a doe family group will come into heat..... and trust me the bucks know this. So trying to get out in front of him is how I personally approach rut hunting... I know sooner or later a buck will be there.... my job is to get in, wait for that opportunity when he comes looking.

As far as getting in and out, yes you still have to think that through.... a good rut stand is not just randomly thrown up in a tree..... at least that's not how i do it.... ALL MY STANDS ARE PICKED BECAUSE THEY HAVE GOOD APPROACH AND EXIT STRATEGIES...... i don't hunt stands that I haven't thought that through???? Some have creeks, some have barriers, some I've had the farmer drop me off at with his tractor, some are on hiking trails where the deer are used to it, etc... you have to think hings out and I don't care if it's an early season, rut or late season stand, if you are not factoring in entrance and exit strategues you are NOT optimizing your sits.

I also think a huge rut factor is the number of mature bucks you have running around. In the midwest you are far more likely to just put a stand up randomly in a funnel or near doe bedding area and have a good Buck walk by... why? because there are more of them per sq mile..... that is just the fact of hunting prime midwest areas. When I hunt Ohio, it is not that uncommon to see five or six mature bucks on any given hunt. However, if you are hunting an area in the rest of the country, where you may only have one, possibly two mature bucks in any given square mile, hopping around and hoping you link up your timing with the Bucks timing is a crapshoot at best IMHO. In these areas, waiting to see that one buck with a doe during hunting hours and then setting up there hoping he comes back by the next day... well good luck with that.... not very likely in areas with low numbers of mature bucks IMO.

Last edited by DaveT1963 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:28 pm

One other misconception I think needs more discussion is what we define as the "rut.". I often hear the rut defined at two or three weeks in Nov. However, breeding can and DOES occur as soon as the buck rubs off his velvet all the way to well past January in most areas of the United States. The intensity or peak of the rut yes usually occurs in a very specific short time span in November in most parts of the country, but bucks are willing to breed any hot doe from late September all the way to January and even into February in some areas. And the intensity or peak actually happens several times.... with a peak of rutting action in Oct, Nov , Dec and even Jan in some areas of the south. The primary peak is in Nov but there are does coming in all through the whitetail season in most of the US. and these peaks usually are consistent from year to year in the same areas. I personally believe most of us would be better off if we paid far more attention to the does and their annual cycles.

Last edited by DaveT1963 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:34 pm

One other misconception I think needs more discussion is what we define as the "rut.". I often here the rut defined at two or three weeks in Nov. However, breeding can occur as soon as the buck rubs off his velvet all the way to well past January in most areas of the United States. The intensity or peak of the rut yes usually occurs in a very specific short time span in November in most parts of the country, but bucks are willing to breed any hot doe from late September all the way to January and even into February in some areas. And the intensity or peak actually happens several times.... in with a peak of action in Oct, Nov , Dec and even Jan in some areas in the south. The primary peak is in Nov but there are dues coming in all through the whitetail season in most of the US. and these peaks usually are consistent from year to year in the sand areas. I personally believe most of us would be better off if we paid far more attention to the does and their annual cycles.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:50 pm

Those of you who mentioned access are definitely right. There is a huge difference between the amount of scent left in open hardwoods vs a marsh or swamp.

Back in my SD days, I had a great rut stand where a river pushed into the side of a steep hill. It was a 300 yard long oxbow with bedding on each side. Most bucks would go around it (and right past me) rather than swim the river twice.

The last weekend before rifle opener in 2008 I hunted that stand (I actually had 2 set up for different winds) Friday night after work, morning and evening Saturday, then morning and evening Sunday. I'll never forget my friends and family slug hunting back home in MN had poor hunting with only a couple deer down. I passed 6 bucks that weekend, as I had already filled my buck tag early season.

I know I'd hunted that stand earlier in the year a couple times, and I'll have to check my records but it might have been the same year I took a doe there in early October.

I knew I was hunting the ever living heck out of it, but it kept producing. Granted, I wasn't seeing 4 and 5 year old deer, but one was a 2 yr old 10 point and another was a 3 year old half racked 8.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:11 am

seazofcheeze wrote:Two things that I think are important to consider (no surprises) here.

I agree with this. My hottest rut spots will burn because I tip off the does. I can usually get a few sits in a row then they are toast. I can tighten up my rotation but still gotto watch about over hunting them.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:43 am

There are definitely some success stories out there from guys sitting a good rut stand half a dozen or more times and killing a big buck. I just am not convinced that is as high odds as hunting half a dozen different good spots once each. Looking back through my hunting log sitting a spot repeatedly simply never worked. For instance in 2010 I was after a specific buck I was convinced would come through a great funnel at some point in November. I hunted it 5 times and never saw him or any other big buck, have other examples of doing that and getting burned too. I have not killed a buck from a spot I sat in more than twice in the last 10 years.

Some good points made about access. The better the access the less deer you alert no doubt about that. Its tempting to think that with access up a waterway or something like that, and wind blowing out over a bluff, deer can't possibly detect you but I just have not been able to hunt a stand more than a couple times and see good deer movement sit after sit - ever. The big difference is in older deer seen - old mature does and bucks. After a while I realize all I am seeing is fawns and yearlings, maybe a 2 year old buck. Nothing mature. Can a non-resident buck stroll through on day 6 from somewhere miles away - sure it can. That idea is what keeps hunters in the same tree I suppose.

Maybe I have never found the perfect rut spot but when after a truly mature buck its a different ball game, far less margin of error than after younger deer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”