Thermals

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Thermals

Unread postby Jrichard » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:16 am

Okay so I am going to start off by saying this is my second year hunting (this season). So I am very new. Not to mention I have not harvested a deer yet. So to say I am very eager is a very large understatement. But anyways, can someone explain thermals to me. I have heard this on many many different sites and forums, but for some reason I have never found a clear explanation of thermals. I know it has to do with atmospheric pressure and stuff like that. But how do you know what it is doing? lol All the information I can get will be very helpful.

Jcol6268

Re: Thermals

Unread postby Jcol6268 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:00 am

I am a newbie when it comes to the hunting beast myself, but I can try to help you out. Think of a thermal as a slight wind. Its like at the end of the night at the bottom of a hill you just feel a slight wind coming from the top of the hill. Thats a thermal settling. Thermals are pretty easy to figure out what they do. When the day is beginning and things begin to heat up, thermals will rise. In the evening, when things are cooling thermals will fall. To imagine how thermals move think of it as water flowing. Granted you wouldnt have water flowing UP a hill but if it could, thats how it would move, with the geography of the land affecting it. These thermals will carry scent where ever they go.
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:24 am

The best explanation I've heard/read/seen are from Dan, Andrae, and a book called "Mapping Trophy Bucks".
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:54 am

burkhart wrote:

check out hill country bucks. best 15$ you can spend

You won't regret getting the video. I usually re-watch it a few times a year to keep things fresh.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:09 pm

check out hill country bucks. best 15$ you can spend

Store is down right now... it should be back up this weekend.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:04 pm

In a nutshell hot air rises & cold air drops and the topography of the landscape affects this. It's somewhat in depth and guys like Dan can and have explained it much better before, check out the "All Time Best Tactical" threads and Mapping Trophy Bucks as well as Dan's videos have been very informative to me as well, probably why they've been mentioned already. But once you fully understand what an impact thermals have you will become a more efficient hunter.

Good luck & welcome to the forums
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:39 pm

Don't forget water thermals. Water warmer than the air will pull ur scent to it water colder than the air will push it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:38 am

Jrichard wrote:Okay so I am going to start off by saying this is my second year hunting (this season). So I am very new. Not to mention I have not harvested a deer yet. So to say I am very eager is a very large understatement. But anyways, can someone explain thermals to me. I have heard this on many many different sites and forums, but for some reason I have never found a clear explanation of thermals. I know it has to do with atmospheric pressure and stuff like that. But how do you know what it is doing? lol All the information I can get will be very helpful.

Welcome aboard. It is nice to see you here.

This thread is a good primer:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25745

I also agree that Mapping Trophy bucks is a good read but Dan's video is better. I have the Hill Country Bucks and it is a great video.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:29 am

Thank you everyone! I think I will look into all those things. I do want to get the book "Mapping Trophy Bucks". Just to get a better understand of all the features of a TOPO map. I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of them. But some guys can just look at a map and say oh yeah that shelf there is where I would look because...and before I read the because I try to guess why. And I am never right. I am eager to learn a lot. I just have so many questions lol.

But anyways, back on topic. I feel like I have a lot of great spots, and I always tried to play the wind. So if the weather people would say it was blowing out of the SE and I would get to my parking space a mile away from my hunting spot and test it, they would be correct. But when I got to my spot in the morning (which is in and around a very large gully) the wind would be the same as the sun came up/ went down. But something weird would happen. And after poking around and chatting on other forums, I have been trying to put the pieces together. And I feel like the thermals were completely playing with me because the wind would be hitting me in the face and when I used my wind checker, the dust would go by me then make a hard U turn and go right down into the gully. I would try it every couple of minutes while in my stand because I didn't feel like I was seeing it right. But apparently I was. I feel stupid and embarrassed telling you all this. But its true, and I am going to try to not make that same mistake this year. Gotta find new trees that aren't on a down slope.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:11 am

Jrichard wrote:Thank you everyone! I think I will look into all those things. I do want to get the book "Mapping Trophy Bucks". Just to get a better understand of all the features of a TOPO map. I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of them. But some guys can just look at a map and say oh yeah that shelf there is where I would look because...and before I read the because I try to guess why. And I am never right. I am eager to learn a lot. I just have so many questions lol.

But anyways, back on topic. I feel like I have a lot of great spots, and I always tried to play the wind. So if the weather people would say it was blowing out of the SE and I would get to my parking space a mile away from my hunting spot and test it, they would be correct. But when I got to my spot in the morning (which is in and around a very large gully) the wind would be the same as the sun came up/ went down. But something weird would happen. And after poking around and chatting on other forums, I have been trying to put the pieces together. And I feel like the thermals were completely playing with me because the wind would be hitting me in the face and when I used my wind checker, the dust would go by me then make a hard U turn and go right down into the gully. I would try it every couple of minutes while in my stand because I didn't feel like I was seeing it right. But apparently I was. I feel stupid and embarrassed telling you all this. But its true, and I am going to try to not make that same mistake this year. Gotta find new trees that aren't on a down slope.

Don't feel stupid or embarrassed, everyone starts somewhere. Most people go their whole lives without ever paying attention to the wind/thermals, you're well on your way with an open mind.

I agree 100% with the responses. Get mapping trophy bucks and Dan's dvds.

Here's a thread and link to Dan''s podcast on this exact subject: viewtopic.php?f=295&t=30397

Pick some milk weed this fall and use that for a windicator. It works fantastic.

Also remember a lot of things in hunting are a general rule. You have to go into your spots and learn how the wind/thermals travel in YOUR area.

Goodluck and have fun!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:16 am

You see the guys talking about milkweed pods on here for the fluffy seed thingies. They float better than the scent check powder and you can follow the seed a long time (of course you only let the fluffy part go).

I found 2 areas on 1 property that had heavy deer crossings and I couldn't figure why. Then I took my brother in law for a sit and felt the wind being pulled into the crossing - a slight depression - hardly noticeable except that it was calm at the time. I went to set him up on the other side and felt a slight wind into the depression. So, I had a N wind and the air from the E and W were being pulled into this spot. The deer had 3 sides covered. Amazing!

NO WONDER the deer were using it as a travel route.

I went and watched 3 antlerless deer at the other spot with a similar thermal thing happening. I had to back up about 75 yards to get a different air flow... The next day I told him where to go and where to sit. He didn't listen, he went and sat right on the other crossing that had the same thermal thing happening. He later complained that the deer all blew and ran away. I tried to explain what happened but he wouldn't listen.

I asked a question about thermals and the consensus was that thermals will pull your scent, even if the wind is blowing to the side. That's significant! Lots to learn...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”