Will you shoot a doe, with her fawn? (Poll)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Will you shoot the Doe, with her fawn?

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 120
Rich M
500 Club

Re: Will you shoot a doe, with her fawn? (Poll)

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:51 am

I put "yes" but... really do not go looking to shoot a doe with a yearling. I would prefer to shoot the little one.

Down here in the south, momma is about the size of a yearling button buck up north, yearling is about the size of a springer spaniel. Makes it hard to fill the freezer on the little one - sometimes just shoot them both and not feel guilty either way.

Then folks look unkindly on you for shooting a baby. LOL! My uncle was a macho kind of guy - shows up at bear camp and asks the guy who shot a small bear if he was gonna make a hat out of the skin - best part is that he shot a little one too! LOL! He'd hang his head to tell that story.

Almost the same thing for deer - his wife and son would hound him for shooting yearlings, which he typically did due to thick cover deer drives. We shot what came by...

I've seen a cow that hung around a pen where the young one was taken from. Cow stood there, waiting for her lil one for about a week.

purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:20 am

If I'm in fill freezer mode a doe with fawns has no bearing on a shot being taken.
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:23 am

When I'm out looking to put a doe in the freezer, the fawn does not play a factor.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:27 am

Nope. I personally don't enjoy shooting does unless it's last resort for meat.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:29 am

Yes, as long as i feel herd numbers are good. Fills the freezer, so i can let a younger buck walk if no chance at a mature buck, for the year.

Great real life practice in preparation when a mature buck finally shows.

No, if deer numbers are low and/or the freezer still has a sufficient amount of venison to get through the year. My family just gets cut off on venison if deer numbers are low like they have been :lol:

Some of those old does are harder to kill than a mature buck, IMHO that's an accomplishment
"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:45 am

Not usually. I don't enjoy seeing the fawns crying days after looking for mom. I saw 2 fawns once after our muzzleloader week where a guy took the mom and the fawns would walk around near the roads and ditches lookin for mom. Didn't sit well with me

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:16 am

I have but I voted no because I usually only shoot does in late season if I need more deer meat. Unless you have to shoot a doe to earn a buck tag, if your objective is to shoot a buck than its counter productive. Early season all my hunts are first time sits that I've been waiting for the perfect timing to sit. If I shoot a doe an hour before dark, I've probably done some damage. Who knows maybe the buck goes out the other way and I see him 70 yards away but don't get a chance. If I hadn't shot that doe I can just adjust for tomorrow. If I do and now I gotta go stomping through the area and dragging out a deer, it's a missed opportunity.

If you want to shoot the doe and that's your objective than by all means have at it. You won't hear a complaint out of me. As for me, I'll probably just let her go by and hope she doesn't blow my cover.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:23 am

Where I live it is looked at as almost a civic duty for a hunter to take does. We have an abundance of them. Its kind of an unwritten law that hunters should harvest at least a couple a year. Id rather have them in my freezer than splattered up and down the roads.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:28 am

An old monarch doe is probably a better test of a hunter's skill then a lot of bucks

I seldom get picked off drawing down on a buck but those old ladies have pegged me on many occasions.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:32 am

The last time I held off on an old doe that had young ones with her another doe stepped out alone and I shot her then her youngin came out like 5 minutes later.

I've done both and the next time I want meat and the opportunity arises I'm taking it.

Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:55 am

oldrank wrote:I will kill a doe with fawns. I will kill a doe with out fawns and I will kill a doe fawn. Yum.

X2!

UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:18 am

Generally if I'm not hunting for a buck, or I have room in freezer, or a person asking for a deer, the fawn doesn't change anything for me.

Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
Iabow

Unread postby Iabow » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:30 am

JoeRE wrote:With our Oct 1 opener - yea no problem, most "fawns" are not fawns anymore - they are 80+ lbs...but ONLY if I decide not to shoot the fawn (doe fawn) itself. I am not kidding either. They are really tasty. Steaks you can cut with a fork.

I do a doe management hunt inside the city limits, I asked the DNR about taking out momma does with fawns and she said at that time of year the fawns are old enough to be fine on their own. I am with JoeRE though, those young ones taste pretty good!
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:31 am

Having shot a momma doe and watched the young one walk up and nudge it and stand around wondering what the heck happened...and beaahhhing...I'm not doing that anymore. I am sure everyone is different but I still feel guilty about that and I wouldn't do it again on purpose. As for shooting the little ones...I've done this and didn't pay close enough attention to what they were and ended up taking 2 button bucks out of the herd in an area that doesn't have enough bucks to begin with. My brother shot 2 like that last year when I put him on some deer for meat...I've banned him from hunting my areas. Maybe in Iowa or Wisconsin it's fine but around here we need every buck we can get.

I am very picky about what deer and in what situation, besides a shooter buck, that I will shoot. Some areas I just don't want any deer having had a bad experience if I can help it. I think some can remember it and I don't want a doe avoiding my area in the rut. I am sure many will disagree with me but I just don't need the meat that bad.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:53 am

Yeah if I'm trying to shoot a doe. If you are waiting for a perfect scenario of a lone old doe a lot of times that turns it to more hunts then it has too. Give me a good clean shot opportunity on a doe hunt and I'm taking it. I have shot doe fawn's as well. Great eating and easy drag. I've seen doe fawns that look super small and think no way at times. BUT once they get to a decent size game on.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”