The switch

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Divergent
500 Club

The switch

Unread postby Divergent » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:34 pm

We talk a lot about the switch in summer to fall patterns. Is there also a switch in bedding locations?

I feel like the deer are bedding a lot along creeks during the summer months. My assumption is it's cooler and closer to water. Or, is the lack of thermals just not as beneficial?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

hunter10
500 Club

Re: The switch

Unread postby hunter10 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:16 pm

I am interested to hear about this too. I wonder if although bucks shift their patterns the best bedding on a property would be filled with the mature back that will move in even if it's not the one you have on camera or have seen glassing etc

Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:29 pm

Anyone with some input?

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:59 am

Deer in general, I kick them up bedded in areas in summer I never see used for bedding during fall/winter. Not sure if this has to do with leaf drop, increased human intrusion or both...

Big bucks I kick up during summer are right down in the same kind of secure beds I see them use during fall/winter.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:23 am

In farm and hill country, yes there often is a shift. So much changes from about mid-Sept to mid Oct around here. Crops come out, leaf drop starts, summer foliage dies down, maybe a killing frost occurs, hunting pressure picks up, herd dominance is established, testosterone starts to rise, food sources change. All that means bedding is likely to change as well...not always but most of the time even for big bucks.

Summer bedding occurs in a lot of areas that open up so much as to make deer uncomfortable come October. I see bedding in a lot of exterior edges in the summer. Note depending on the buck, core areas may or may not stay the same, but bedding is likely to shift some. Once again, would not be surprised to see that vary by terrain - this is farm and hill country.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:31 am

The reason I ask is because I blanketed an area last year with trail cams. I noticed a lot more deer in the bottoms as opposed to trails along the top 1/3. I also jumped more deer along creeks, beaver ponds, and caves.

Last week I found several beds along the military crest. Only one of them looked like it was currently being used. All of them had hair, but the hair was beneath an inch of pine straw. This led me to questiom if there was summer bedding in addition to your typical 1/3 elevation fall/winter bedding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”