Watched something weird tonight

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Watched something weird tonight

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:10 pm

I was glassing some fields tonight n on the way home pulled up to one I could check from the road. There were about 10 deer in it. I scanned the field n caught three bucks feeding. Two were nice bucks. Just as I was trying to get a good look at the biggest one he got nervous and took off running. However when the other deer were jumping and bounding through the corn the big buck hunkered down almost below the thigh high corn. He layed his ears back n tipped his head back n bolted out super low to the ground..It was weird. Im not sure if he had a front leg injury or something. He seemed to be moving fine before he took off. Ive seen em sneak low while moving through thickets during gun season but never run off like that. It looked like he was trying to hide his body and protect his rack from the corn stalks. Hmmm

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Watched something weird tonight

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:49 pm

Cool to see stuff like that. When I went hunting for woodland caribou in Newfoundland I heard story's of moose doing that also to get thru the thickets

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:39 pm

A few years back my buddy was heading over to my house one evening to pick me up to go look for deer. When he got there he said there was a good buck right across the road from my house (which I never saw) and that when he stopped to glass it, the thing laid down flat in the beans and could not be seen. Crazy how they can know to hide like that....survival at it's best.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:35 pm

Ack wrote:A few years back my buddy was heading over to my house one evening to pick me up to go look for deer. When he got there he said there was a good buck right across the road from my house (which I never saw) and that when he stopped to glass it, the thing laid down flat in the beans and could not be seen. Crazy how they can know to hide like that....survival at it's best.

I have seen them do that many times while shining.
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:59 pm

You never know what wild animals are going to do. They adapt to us, better than we adapt to them.
-Rick
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:14 am

I wish I would have got him on video. I had my cam but didnt get a chance to get it out cause he took off to quick.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:01 am

Ack wrote:A few years back my buddy was heading over to my house one evening to pick me up to go look for deer. When he got there he said there was a good buck right across the road from my house (which I never saw) and that when he stopped to glass it, the thing laid down flat in the beans and could not be seen. Crazy how they can know to hide like that....survival at it's best.

There was a bean field my dad and I used to set up on in the summer to scout, a bachelor group would routinely be laying in it. If I remember correctly there were 4 bucks in this group, a half rack, 2 shooters and a young buck. You could not see them without the side of a spotting scope or binos. They would lay low until about 45 mins before dark then rise and feed. Every once in awhile you would see one or two tip there head back, assuming they were checking wind, and then they would lay back down and disappear. Back then it was kind of eye opening how low they could get and hide themselves.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:26 pm

I used to have deer in my backyard, when I lived in the country (next to a citrus grove). Set a buddy up where I had seen 7 deer day prior and his son on the edge where the deer would run. Buddy shot doe and there were deer bouncing all over the place, except by the kid - a deer crawled by him at 20-25 yards through 12 inch tall grass - kinda freaked the lad out and he never did shoot even though he had shotgun & buckshot.

I've seen them run straight without bounding, and do 30-ft long leaps/bounds, but not crawling or running real low.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”