Entry/exit, lesser of 2 evils??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Entry/exit, lesser of 2 evils??

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:38 am

Which is the most likely to have the most negative impact from a pressure standpoint on a property:

1) An entry/exit in which the wind is blowing your scent to an area away from deer travel and doesn't cross trails for the most part but does go parallel to trails and is a longer walk, say 200-300 yards to the stand and would ultimately cross trails that the does use or

2) Entry/exit that is only 50/60 yards and is much cleaner (not touching branches, etc on the way in) and is a direct straight-line to the stand but is not wind favorable from an entry/exit and crosses the trail the buck uses but not before you could get a shot off.

In entry/exit #1 the hunter is leaving his scent over a longer distance that is potentially detectable by does or any bucks that would use the trails but much of the scent could be blown to a safer zone although I am not sure how much ground scent gets blown away. In #2, the hunter's scent is over a much shorter distance but it is directly in the area that mature bucks are known to travel or are most likely to travel.

Again, this is not a question as it relates to impacting success or not on the particular day's hunt but more about the impact of the hunt on property pressure after the hunter leaves.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Entry/exit, lesser of 2 evils??

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:16 am

I'll take #1 all day every day.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:18 am

Stanley wrote:I'll take #1 all day every day.

X2
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:30 am

I don't ever want the deer I'm after crossing my scent at any point to my set up, but hunting just off winds I've been flirting with places where I had a spot to shoot and if he passed that location he could have winded me. That's where being aware of your thermals comes into play big time.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:44 am

whitetailassasin wrote:I don't ever want the deer I'm after crossing my scent at any point to my set up, but hunting just off winds I've been flirting with places where I had a spot to shoot and if he passed that location he could have winded me. That's where being aware of your thermals comes into play big time.

Have you ever observed thermals moving horizontally as opposed to upward or downward like we normally talk about? An area I hunt has a lake nearby, not a huge lake, and I noticed the milkweed appeared to be getting sucked back toward the lake during an evening with calm winds. The only conclusion I could draw is that it was thermals affected by the lake as it was otherwise a calm evening. I was only about 10 feet inside the woods at my stand.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:01 am

Water/lake thermals can play a huge roll, I deal with them all the time and often plan my setups so I don't get busted wind and or thermals. The bucks seem to love them too, catch the wind all day and still have a steady evening thermal to rely on.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:56 am

mheichelbech wrote:
whitetailassasin wrote:I don't ever want the deer I'm after crossing my scent at any point to my set up, but hunting just off winds I've been flirting with places where I had a spot to shoot and if he passed that location he could have winded me. That's where being aware of your thermals comes into play big time.

Have you ever observed thermals moving horizontally as opposed to upward or downward like we normally talk about? An area I hunt has a lake nearby, not a huge lake, and I noticed the milkweed appeared to be getting sucked back toward the lake during an evening with calm winds. The only conclusion I could draw is that it was thermals affected by the lake as it was otherwise a calm evening. I was only about 10 feet inside the woods at my stand.

Water warmed from the sun during the day is causing a thermal to go straight up as the air temps drop, in a column over the body of water (think of an air geyser coming straight up out of the water). Pulls the surrounding air in to the water via a vacuum effect similar to the thermal tunnel, making it seem like it is moving horizontal to the ground from all directions around the water if there is no wind. Certainly situations where you can exploit this, or where it can hurt you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”