Could I Cover Both Sides?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BA-IV

Could I Cover Both Sides?

Unread postby BA-IV » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:04 pm

This spot jumps out at me as maybe a cruising type of saddle. The hilltop splits the saddle in half so it seems, so could I get away with hunting just East of the 268 hilltop and cover both my left and right and be productive? Critiquing is more then welcome and much appreciated.

BA-IV

Re: Could I Cover Both Sides?

Unread postby BA-IV » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:05 pm

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:35 am

Why not just play the wind to your best advantage? Figure out several stand sites and use the best one for a given day?

I like your saddle and also have my eyes drawn up and to the right - there are two gently sloping points that have my attention...
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:46 am

Great looking area with a lot of options. If that is public and pressured I recall reading in Mapping Trophy Bucks about bucks point hopping to avoid pressure and how Bead Herndon was able to effectivey use other hunters to drive a shooter to him in gun season.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:06 am

This is public land...mostly an archery only area with two weekends for gun and muzzleloader. The pressure comes from other uses like squirrel hunters and horseback riders. This is an area I just found scanning a topo looking for areas like this where the terrain helps. I've never set foot on this spot, but it caught my attention.

BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:08 am

I'd really be interested how you would hunt this with which winds.

I might do one early season sit just to get the lay of the land and scout while going in one evening, and then reserve it for a pre-rut and rut sit.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:26 am

If it were me, and it was rut, my set up on a west Wind would be about where the 2 is in "268" The buck your after will most likely cruise right thru there on a west wind if he comes thru that area.
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:14 am

Dan,

Going in blind like I'm doing, would you hunt this spot one time in the early season?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:59 am

BA-IV wrote:Dan,

Going in blind like I'm doing, would you hunt this spot one time in the early season?

Early season blind I would likely go back further. Not sure about that road/trail south of your set up? Or how much pressure? But if I liked the area I would be past the saddle and cutting off movement coming from those irregular shaped points and knobs at the end of the ridge. If in the am I would be below, but I would want to see it before an am hunt to know where they hook up the hill.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”