Cool video of buck bedded in hill country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Cool video of buck bedded in hill country

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:00 am

[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_EozV_lmuE[/bbvideo]

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Cool video of buck bedded in hill country

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:32 am

I don't like the decision to shoot at all but I agree it is a cool video of how a buck beds.

interesting to see the only direction he looked periodically other than straight in front was his intended travel route to the right...on film anyway. Telegraphing his next move? Interesting stuff.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:49 am

JoeRE wrote:I don't like the decision to shoot at all but I agree it is a cool video of how a buck beds.

interesting to see the only direction he looked periodically other than straight in front was his intended travel route to the right...on film anyway. Telegraphing his next move? Interesting stuff.

Great point Joe about buck telegraphing his exit.... i totally missed that.... and I agree shot should never have been taken at 400 yards with that much brush

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:15 am

Cool vid. Looks right about the 1/3 elevation

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:17 am

I would sure love to hunt hill country. Neat bedding situation that mirrors everything we talk about here. Making that shot was unacceptable with wind and brush factors. With the time spent watching him, I would have done a huge loop around and try the backdoor.

RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:26 am

At the range of that deer do you think it would've been possible to at least get closer? I'm not that good at killing big bucks yet but I've definitely gotten much closer to them without them spooking. Probably could've at least cut off half that distance but then maybe he would'nt be able to find his bed from a different angle... ;)
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:22 am

wickedbruiser wrote:I would sure love to hunt hill country. Neat bedding situation that mirrors everything we talk about here. Making that shot was unacceptable with wind and brush factors. With the time spent watching him, I would have done a huge loop around and try the backdoor.

The whole time I was watching it I was thinking " dude, loop around and side hill to him!" It's also easy for me to say that from my point of view but I agree with you.

The bedding aspect was very cool. Thanks for sharing Dan.

P.S. Wicked, there's lots of hills here. You're welcome to come down sometime!!

bowkill00

Unread postby bowkill00 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:50 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Cool vid. Looks right about the 1/3 elevation

Yep...I noticed that too

9pt
500 Club

Unread postby 9pt » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:45 pm

I liked seeing the bullet making shockwaves. I thought he was going to move closer though.

Helpful illustration, Dan. Thanks.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:56 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:
JoeRE wrote:I don't like the decision to shoot at all but I agree it is a cool video of how a buck beds.

Great point Joe about buck telegraphing his exit.... i totally missed that.... and I agree shot should never have been taken at 400 yards with that much brush

Yea watching this video was the first time that ever popped into my head. Goes to show there is always something new to learn....something to look for the next bedded buck I see, curious if that is typical behavior.

With the highly variable wind patterns going on, some branches waving like crazy, some still, and wind clearly in the microphone....the guy would be doing good to hit a 3' circle at 400 yards not to mention the brush in the way and the moving target.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:23 pm

RidgeReaper wrote:At the range of that deer do you think it would've been possible to at least get closer? I'm not that good at killing big bucks yet but I've definitely gotten much closer to them without them spooking. Probably could've at least cut off half that distance but then maybe he would'nt be able to find his bed from a different angle... ;)

I agree.

He didn't even sound confident in making the shot. Lucky he didn't wound the buck.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:46 pm

Good stuff. I think most of us would have tried to close the distance. I know I would have, but I'd be using a bow not a gun.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:15 pm

I shot a Turkey @ 363 yards via range finder...

I've heard of people shooting deer running in swamps @ 200 yards ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:41 am

DeerDylan wrote:
wickedbruiser wrote:I would sure love to hunt hill country. Neat bedding situation that mirrors everything we talk about here. Making that shot was unacceptable with wind and brush factors. With the time spent watching him, I would have done a huge loop around and try the backdoor.

The whole time I was watching it I was thinking " dude, loop around and side hill to him!" It's also easy for me to say that from my point of view but I agree with you.

The bedding aspect was very cool. Thanks for sharing Dan.

P.S. Wicked, there's lots of hills here. You're welcome to come down sometime!!

Dude! I am all over it for 2017. It's been in the back of my head to hunt the hills in western MA or upstate NY for quite some time.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:37 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:I shot a Turkey @ 363 yards via range finder...

[glow=red]I've heard of people shooting deer running in swamps @ 200 yards ;[/glow])

Yep and for every one that is recovered there's at least half a dozen that are missed or wounded and aren't mentioned by those people.

Was the turkey you shot in highly variable winds gusting to 30 mph Ed? Say the guy was shooting an average load out of a 300 win mag - wind drift at 400 yards would be around 12 inches with "only" a consistent 10 mph wind, and the wind was far from consistent. There was no way the guy could have confidently put a bullet in an 8" circle at that range, particularly with brush...AND a moving target...just like the folks shooting at long range running deer in swamps :cry:

I am not against long shots, just against slob hunters...I have taken several deer in the 200 yard range with a muzzlelaoder and someday expect to kill one at 300 with that gun, which for a muzzleloader is loooong...but its going to be in ideal conditions. I have practiced at those ranges, and I will know the target is going to die when the hammer drops. To date I have not had a single chance at those ranges where I felt like that and I am not in a rush to prove anything. Anybody can do the same with proper practice, good gun and optics, and knowledge of what conditions are necessary...but many don't bother and have no business doing it. I am sick of finding lost deer and finishing off badly wounded deer in the woods.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”