Non-hunter pressure

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Abishai

Re: Non-hunter pressure

Unread postby Abishai » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:53 am

mheichelbech wrote:
Tufrthnails wrote:My cousin was telling me the story of his 150" buck he killed in 2010 last year. His Ex-wife used to like to go sit in his stands and take pictures of deer, turkeys, squirrels that kind of stuff, during the off season. she had a lot of pics of a pretty nice buck. that was pretty wide. Of course he wanted to kill that buck so he hunted it for two seasons (with no regard to the wind) of course this buck busted him everytime. The third season he decided he was going to trick this buck so he grabbed his wife's jacket and sprayed himself down with her perfume. He killed that buck that season during late archery. I don't know that is why he was able to do it, but I'm thinking her scent was something the buck was accustom to and accepted for whatever reason and it may have been just enough throw him off his game.

I have read so many stories similar to this that it leads me to think that maybe we put off some kind different scent when we are in predator mode. If someone gave me a HECS suit, I would try it.

I guess some of us just smell like stone cold killers. :think:

“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:56 am

I think the key is if the activity is routine or not. Deer get used to humans doing routine things, but if someone stumbles through a buck's bedding area and that buck does not expect a human to be there, that has a lot bigger impact. So if humans are sticking to trails, that sort of thing, I think there can be good hunting literally right next to those areas. Even dogs are not necessarily going to clear deer out of an area, some dogs chase aggressively and that can be really bad but lots of them are just the neighbor's muts stupidly wandering around and deer watch them pass and everything returns to normal. I have watched that happen quite a few times.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:46 pm

Similar instance happened to me, I had met this woman with a plant nursery in her back yard, she only had 3.5 acres and also had a pond. She said she had a deer problem so I went over one afternoon in mid December of 2010.

My skills were not nearly as good as they are now. I had a 1998 pse nova that I hadn't even practiced with. She seemed to enjoy the deer as pets but hated the damage they did. She seemed hesitant but said I could bow hunt it. I had a climber and walked her property with her. She talked loudly and wore patchouli. She had a moss walk way to the back corner and kept all the leaves blown. I decide the back corner was the only spot really even worth trying.

I felt like such a fool walking over there and setting up in plain sight. I could see her next door neighbor with a leaf blower doing yard work 150 yards away. Before I set up I looked over and noticed a football diameter cedar tree that was shredded by rubbing. I thought well maybe this might be ok...

As I'm climbing up I stopped and looked over and there was a nice buck walking down the fence line 25-30 yards away. I'm banging around and he acted like he didn't care. I got the stand set on a red oak tree and the buck never fully went away. Looking back I think he was bedded close by. After watching him munch acorns for 20-30 minutes he started walking back towards me. I was shaking so badly when I shot, arrow went about 4 inches high over his back at 25-30 yards. He jumped to about 35-40 yards and stood there watching. He simply turned and walked away. Now that I think about it he was at least an 8 point and a good sized body I'd say a 3.5 yr old.

I was quite embarrassed about missing. I told the lady what happened and she seemed like it was normal. That was my only trip out there. I don't know why I never asked to go back. I guess it didn't really feel like hunting, to me. I also think both her and I would have felt bad about dragging a deer off of there. Also her house was about an hour drive away. At the time I didn't know much about hunting and wasn't near the killer I am now, but that afternoon felt like such an anomaly. I felt like I could try that same thing 10 more times and never get another shot at that buck. For some reason, I was ok just letting it be what it was.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:03 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:Similar instance happened to me, I had met this woman with a plant nursery in her back yard, she only had 3.5 acres and also had a pond. She said she had a deer problem so I went over one afternoon in mid December of 2010.

My skills were not nearly as good as they are now. I had a 1998 pse nova that I hadn't even practiced with. She seemed to enjoy the deer as pets but hated the damage they did. She seemed hesitant but said I could bow hunt it. I had a climber and walked her property with her. She talked loudly and wore patchouli. She had a moss walk way to the back corner and kept all the leaves blown. I decide the back corner was the only spot really even worth trying.

I felt like such a fool walking over there and setting up in plain sight. I could see her next door neighbor with a leaf blower doing yard work 150 yards away. Before I set up I looked over and noticed a football diameter cedar tree that was shredded by rubbing. I thought well maybe this might be ok...

As I'm climbing up I stopped and looked over and there was a nice buck walking down the fence line 25-30 yards away. I'm banging around and he acted like he didn't care. I got the stand set on a red oak tree and the buck never fully went away. Looking back I think he was bedded close by. After watching him munch acorns for 20-30 minutes he started walking back towards me. I was shaking so badly when I shot, arrow went about 4 inches high over his back at 25-30 yards. He jumped to about 35-40 yards and stood there watching. He simply turned and walked away. Now that I think about it he was at least an 8 point and a good sized body I'd say a 3.5 yr old.

I was quite embarrassed about missing. I told the lady what happened and she seemed like it was normal. That was my only trip out there. I don't know why I never asked to go back. I guess it didn't really feel like hunting, to me. I also think both her and I would have felt bad about dragging a deer off of there. Also her house was about an hour drive away. At the time I didn't know much about hunting and wasn't near the killer I am now, but that afternoon felt like such an anomaly. I felt like I could try that same thing 10 more times and never get another shot at that buck. For some reason, I was ok just letting it be what it was.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Neat story, backyard hunting has a much different experience.
One property I have permission on is like your describing. I have stayed with it mostly because the owner HATES deer getting a free meal. He is a vegetable farmer and I can't make a noticeable difference in the local herd. He uses electric fences now.
Watching people leave for work and the school bus going by is NOT hunting by most standards. But the friendship has been good.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:42 am

Paul Brunner did a video years ago called Street Smart Bucks.... worth it if you can find a copy.... desks with suburban deer hunting back east

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”