Help me figure out how to hunt this spot this October

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ladykiller

Help me figure out how to hunt this spot this October

Unread postby Ladykiller » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:41 pm

Okay guys, I've lurked around here for awhile, did a lot of reading, and really enjoy this site. Now it's time for me to get involved.

Unfortunately, in the area that I hunt, hunting the major bedding areas is not an option. There are plenty of big bucks around however for me to chase when they leave their sanctuary/refuge. There are also some minor, smaller bedding areas. Below is one such minor bedding area that I suspect holds a buck or two, probably not older than 3.5 years old. However I'd still like to hunt it in October just to sharpen my skills. And hey, maybe I will get lucky and a big buck will be there. November I will be hunting elsewhere.

So here's a primer on the spot:
1) 3300 public land peninsula jutting out into a lake
2) Midwest terrain, typically flat with hardwoods, hedgerows, and farmland
3) 50% of the area is huntable, the rest if off-limits
4) Accessible by boat or by foot
5) Bedding area is only about 200-ft in diameter and slightly higher elevation than the rest of the peninsula

I'm thinking the best way to hunt this spot is to drive my boat in about 2 hours before light and setup near the bucks bed. I only plan to hunt it 1 or 2 times in October and that is it. I still have to scout it to look for beds and the j-hook and to see what wind direction is best. Until then, what say you? How should I hunt this spot?

Below is a satellite image of the spot.

TNstalker

Re: Help me figure out how to hunt this spot this October

Unread postby TNstalker » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:57 pm

Idk if it's just me but can't see ur image but if ur hunting river points coming in by boat is the definitively the best way to excess the spot. An u want the wind blowing down the point to the water. I have a river that I will be hunting this year that I haven't got to scout yet bc water stayed up an I haven't had time to make it back. But I marked a bunch of spots with water to water pinches sometimes they would have a high spot in them. I feel like these areas have a lot going on there if there is any cover there should be a buck bedded there.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:52 pm

Ok see ur pic now. That's a lot different from the river I will be hunting lol. Is that grass ur circled?

Ladykiller

Unread postby Ladykiller » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:43 am

The area circled is a small patch of hardwoods I think. I've only walked around the area, never into it yet.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:01 am

Don't overlook the low wet area in the field just to the north. If the field offers visibility a buck can lay there with many escape options and be pretty much untouchable with stick and string.

I have tried hunting some hard wood points like you have circled and they never really panned out for buck bedding.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:10 am

PK_ wrote:I have tried hunting some hard wood points like you have circled and they never really panned out for buck bedding.

Same here... I know deer will swim, but I think the buck might feel a little "trapped" in that spot with limited escape routes.
1bhtr

Unread postby 1bhtr » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:02 am

Ladykiller wrote:Okay guys, I've lurked around here for awhile, did a lot of reading, and really enjoy this site. Now it's time for me to get involved.

Unfortunately, in the area that I hunt, hunting the major bedding areas is not an option. There are plenty of big bucks around however for me to chase when they leave their sanctuary/refuge. There are also some minor, smaller bedding areas. Below is one such minor bedding area that I suspect holds a buck or two, probably not older than 3.5 years old. However I'd still like to hunt it in October just to sharpen my skills. And hey, maybe I will get lucky and a big buck will be there. November I will be hunting elsewhere.

So here's a primer on the spot:
1) 3300 public land peninsula jutting out into a lake
2) Midwest terrain, typically flat with hardwoods, hedgerows, and farmland
3) 50% of the area is huntable, the rest if off-limits
4) Accessible by boat or by foot
5) Bedding area is only about 200-ft in diameter and slightly higher elevation than the rest of the peninsula

I'm thinking the best way to hunt this spot is to drive my boat in about 2 hours before light and setup near the bucks bed. I only plan to hunt it 1 or 2 times in October and that is it. I still have to scout it to look for beds and the j-hook and to see what wind direction is best. Until then, what say you? How should I hunt this spot?

Below is a satellite image of the spot.

Wow... I never thought I'd see the area I hunt on this forum... lol... I've spent a few hours in this area and yes most of the bucks do bed on the lakes edge but they have to have an escape and cover. on this particular area there was 52 hunters on opening day last year on the 3300 acres, my buddy and I were two of them... Funny thing is that most people are like what you are saying and only hunt this place early in october and then hunt their prime places in during the rut. The place is over run with deer and sign so its hard to sort through all of it sometimes, I had an encounter with a 150" two year ago in the rut and my buddy had some great hunts that same year with some smaller bucks chasing does all around. When driving through here on the way to camp last year at night I saw the biggest typical I have ever seen which was at least B&C or better. I'm not planning on hunting hear much at all this season so I'll help all I can. I scouted some other areas around here in January but not this park. Also note that around this area most of the beds I found on the edge of the lake were on a willow tree that had fallen and left a bump of raised ground for the buck to bed on. Also there is a type of honeysuckle vine that grows around the edge of the fields that they like to use as screen, they back up against it based on wind so nothing can get to them from behind. If I can figure out how to post pics I post some of beds I found here. By the way don't try to sneak across the road and hunt, the warden catches multiple out of staters that do that every year, just an FYI...
The particular area you highlighted would most likely be a doe bedding area, they like to bed on the elevated knobs and there are probably oaks on the knob as well, I would check the four or five humps of dirt just to the north west of the circle. Many places around the lake you will find truck load piles of dirt that have been there for years and are grown up with brush, the deer love to bed on these, the more secluded the better. This particular parking lot always has multiple vehicles in it as well... When my buddy and I get back in the evenings after hunting we always drive through here and usually 50-100 deer after dark, most come out of the no hunting area right around dusk.
Ladykiller

Unread postby Ladykiller » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:25 pm

1bhtr ... small world ... lol. I did not think I'd run into anyone on this site either that was hunting this public area. Oh well. I've known about the deer in this area the last 4 years, but only the last 2 years did I get back into deer hunting. I wish I would have started hunting it 4 years ago however. There are some real nice deer around here. I typically hunt this area all season long, and it's my November hot spot for now. I just hunt a few other stands that are more productive during November. For instance, last fall I missed two large bucks (135-150 inches) a half hour apart one morning. They were late coming back to their beds. About 30 yards each, same trail. Shot over the first one, shot under the second one, to make a long story short. Fast forward 2-3 weeks later and I shot & killed a nice 9-pt. Not five minutes later I shot a large 150 class buck, but the shot was high and I lost the deer.

Chances are we've ran into each other out there. I'll take this conversation offline and PM you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”