HOW HAS THE BEAST HELPED YOU?????

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edcyclopedia

Re: HOW HAS THE BEAST HELPED YOU?????

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:05 am

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:02 am

1. There are people as crazy as me out there

2. How much I do not know. Which opened the door for growth.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:27 am

Kraftd wrote:I'd echo to bury in on the tactical threads. That has been the most important thing to me, realizing how many moving pieces there are and how much effort it takes to even approach getting where some of the folks on here are. THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS.

Basically, it's all important.

X2

Naming a few things that helped the most would be hard. So much great info here that needs to be read and applied to your specific hunting style. All one needs is an open mind and ability to learn from your mistakes. There is no short route to success. It comes from hard work.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:13 am

The guys here are proof that deer season CAN be year round adventure. That mentality will help put nice bucks on the ground.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:09 am

That I need to set up close to his bed to kill him and to scout out where he prefers to bed.Bucks in my area 3.5 and older just don't show themselves off en in daylight. In the past I would set up and hope and pray one would walk out of bedding. Most of the time I was set up on doe bedding or young buck bedding. Why I only did good during rut most of the time . I did kill my biggest buck 10 years ago in early season. Looking back I was set up probably 50 yde from his bed and didn't know it. I just thought hey that thicket over there looks pretty good I'll put my stand here.

vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:28 am

I think the biggest thing that I have taken out of this website is to not think yourself out of a spot. For me, my mind is my biggest problem, I overthink things and often find myself leaving a spot because I start to beleive that there isn't any deer in the area.
-Rick
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:40 am

The site gives you exposure to a lot of really good hunters. One thing I have learned is that one common trait amongst all good hunters is that they are awfully persistent in their pursuit. I think that makes a huge difference in being a hunter vs a very good hunter.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:11 am

It really has revolutionized my scouting efficiency. I go into the woods now with very specific target areas to scout. Also, it taught me the importance of edge. I had always essentially scouted grids. I covered a lot of wasted ground.

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
JohnFunn

Unread postby JohnFunn » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:33 am

....that you gotta go hunt um, not just sit back and wait for um to walk by....and that you can't have too many spots to hunt even if you have a large chunk of private. ..Even if the private has mature bucks on it.

Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:05 pm

Leeward side of ridges is a big thing that I have learned.

Also, I think differently on scouting now as well. I think its really helped me learn to think like a deer rather than to think where I think deer will go. If I pick a stand site, there is a specific reason for that rather than "This looks like a heavily used deer trail".
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:21 pm

PK_ wrote:1. There are people as crazy as me out there

2. How much I do not know. Which opened the door for growth.

Only thing I will add to this, and it's something I constantly remind myself of daily when scouting.

You can blind a deer, and they'd still survive just off their nose...to me it's an eye opener, and it makes how you look at the woods when scouting seem very different.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:54 pm

9pt wrote:http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24471
[glow=red]Link to the thread that WA rec'd.[/glow]

Another big fan of this thread. Read all of them when I first came here few months back. Also, read some of the journals. Really, great stories to read.

This place really has fueled my passion for doing what I love. I go at this pretty hard but many of my hunting buddies do not. So when I find a bedding area that I am jacked about on January 21st, there really is no one to share it with. Or I share but most guys look at me like I am nuts. Over the last 5yrs, there really has never been much of an "offseason" for me. Especially the last 2 or 3.

I am always pushing for more. Just not a lot of guys that enjoy the "technical" details of chasing big bucks. I have always kind of been a bed hunter...but this year, turned it up a notch. Lot of what I have picked up here has been tweaking and tuning techniques I have all ready been using. Also picked up a lot of great on DIY gear ideas.

Where I live is a pretty cold climate to the "easy" hunting ways of the midwest lol. Its pretty sad that most guys knock what they have never tried. Never heard many midwest guys bad mouth NE guys but most NE guys think all of the midwest are high fenced ranches. :doh: :doh: What most fail to realize is that midwest guys spend so much time around big bucks, who better to talk about big buck behaviour? Add to that, most northern guys just want to talk about snow tracking deer.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:13 pm

AutumnNinja's post on thermal hubs took it to another level for me.

olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:09 pm

It's helped me freshen up my hunting tactics

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”