He busted you...what next

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

He busted you...what next

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:39 pm

Was wondering about your experience with a buck once he has busted you...scent, sight or otherwise, have you been able to go back to the same stand or close by and get another chance?

What difference has it made if he got your ground scent or winded you while in the tree or simply saw you? Is that spot burned for the season, a week, a month or does it typically take more than one time of being busted to mess up the area?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
JohnFunn

Re: He busted you...what next

Unread postby JohnFunn » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:02 pm

mheichelbech wrote:Was wondering about your experience with a buck once he has busted you...scent, sight or otherwise, have you been able to go back to the same stand or close by and get another chance?

What difference has it made if he got your ground scent or winded you while in the tree or simply saw you? Is that spot burned for the season, a week, a month or does it typically take more than one time of being busted to mess up the area?

Have you listened to Dans podcast with the guys from midwest whitetails? He talks about this exact topic.. belive he said a deer would be just fine without eyes! Check it out and i highly recommend all of the hunting beast podcasts....if you havnt listened already.....

[ Post made via Android ] Image
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:47 pm

Andrae D. busts them and then sets up shop. It'a a solid tactic and he loves to do it. I've been busted and came back the next day and won. Either get right back in there or let it cool off. It depends on pressure and the time of year IMHO.

mheichelbech wrote:Was wondering about your experience with a buck once he has busted you...scent, sight or otherwise, have you been able to go back to the same stand or close by and get another chance?

If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:01 am

Once the buck knows he is being hunted, it can be very hard to outsmart him. one smell ,might or might not do that... I have seen deer completely avoid an area, or come right back. The absolute best is to kill him the 1st time rather than after he understands the rules of the game... Its "game on" once you slap him across the rear and announce your intentions.

Of the deer that smell you and come back there is also the factor of how many times will he smell you and come back?

Smell is much worse than sight. However, big bucks often get down wind to confirm what they saw, or come thru later and smell where they saw you. The only difference between wind scent and ground scent is the current danger factor of smelling you "now". either way he knows you were there. Of coarse I think the current factor is "scarier" and being scared will leave a lasting memory.

The biggest thing about ground scent is where you leave it... A lot of new hunters really don't get that. Deer will tolerate human scent in certain areas, and not in others. Usually the areas they tolerate human scent are not areas they move in daylight. Occasionally there are spots where tolerate and daylight movement overlap, but a guy needs to understand that those type of scenarios don't work with every deer.

For me the key to killing really big old bucks is to penetrate the zone where a big buck moves in daylight, and to kill him the 1st day before he has a chance to get rear slapped and game on burned into his mind by smelling that I have been there.

For some, they think they can cheat the game with scent control. But no matter what you do, or what you use, deer will smell you have been there. If your in the no tolerance zone and leave scent, they know you were there.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:00 am

If you did get busted, and it's a buck you really wanted, would you get right back in the area to get him and take chance on running him out or give the area a break and come back later? Or does it just depend on the circumstances?

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:52 am

mheichelbech wrote:If you did get busted, and it's a buck you really wanted, would you get right back in the area to get him and take chance on running him out or give the area a break and come back later? Or does it just depend on the circumstances?

If its a buck I really want Im getting right back in there. But, it does depend a little on circumstances.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:54 am

mheichelbech wrote:If you did get busted, and it's a buck you really wanted, would you get right back in the area to get him and take chance on running him out or give the area a break and come back later? Or does it just depend on the circumstances?

I would have to say it depends on the circumstances. Time of the year, was he in his bed, or on his way to or from it.

If he was in his bed then like said above about Andrea, that would be a situation for what he calls a "bump and dump". Set up shop right then and there then get right back in there way before daylight. He's thinking that his spot worked and will most likely return. If you set up and give it a few days he will likely figure out the game being played.

Coming from his bed I would think would be the same in a way but he could just change course.

DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:03 am

One thing to note is during the breeding phase of the rut if you bump a group of bucks or a single buck that you'd want to kill locked down with a doe and they didn't smell you/run to the next county, there is a good chance of them coming back into that spot. from what I've experienced at least.

Last year my dad called me and said someone saw a good one cross a road into an area I could hunt ( I shined one nearby the night before). I had a slow morning where I was so I packed up and headed in there. I bumped a decent buck pretty quick and then the woods exploded with deer. I decided to go to a tree I've hunted before a ways away. Right after I got set up, Dad called and had shot a buck and needed help finding it so I packed up and walked back through. I blew that whole group out again in the same thicket.

The next time I have that happen and I have a feeling/ know a good one is in the neighborhood, I'm climbing a tree.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”