Northern Missouri Public Land

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TNRiverRat

Northern Missouri Public Land

Unread postby TNRiverRat » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:25 am

I am looking to try my first non-resident DIY hunt. I have selected the great state of Missouri. I will be bow hunting and want to be up there for a week. What would be the best time of year for that area? Early or mid Nov? I was thinking if I hit an archery only CA, during gun season then I may not have near as much trouble with other people. Also any specific conservation areas yal would recommend? I am looking at Shanks right now, and hunting during the gun season 12th - 22nd. Hoping the gun hunters over on Dupont and Anderson may run some biggins over onto Shanks. I was hoping I could rely on the good fellows here on the Beast to provide me with some tips. Coordinates appreciated ;)

Bucky

Re: Northern Missouri Public Land

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:38 am

Bow only CA during gun sounds like solid plan. Our group has killed some good bucks Nov 10-20th... so mid month time frame is good as far as rut goes in MO

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:18 am

Question to add on, may help TNRiverRat as well.

If I were to buy an archery license in MO, is that good during gun season as well?

My plans were to hunt the opening weekend and then return the weekend of the gun opener and bow hunt like RiverRat is talking about. Is that archery license good for both?
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:28 am

thwack16 wrote:Question to add on, may help TNRiverRat as well.

If I were to buy an archery license in MO, is that good during gun season as well?

My plans were to hunt the opening weekend and then return the weekend of the gun opener and bow hunt like RiverRat is talking about. Is that archery license good for both?

You would have to purchase a rifle tag in order to hunt at all during the rifle season timeframe. You are allowed to bow hunt during the rifle season but again have to do so using rifle tag.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:37 am

Bowhunter4life wrote:
thwack16 wrote:Question to add on, may help TNRiverRat as well.

You would have to purchase a rifle tag in order to hunt at all during the rifle season timeframe. You are allowed to bow hunt during the rifle season but again have to do so using rifle tag.

Thought so. Thanks.
TNRiverRat

Unread postby TNRiverRat » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:43 am

Anyone have any experience hunting Shanks, Dupont, and Anderson? From what I am able to figure out, is that Shanks is bow only, Dupont is muzzleloader/bow, and Anderson is fully open rifle season. Does this sound correct?
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:08 pm

I've been to shanks...lots of ducks. Most ducks I have ever seen in my life. Lots of pressure on the deer

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:22 pm

I have seen the bucks rolling in at a meat processer over in bowling Green near that area.
Gun season morning has some brutes taken. Shanks is all floodplain if I recall. Is that right?

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:50 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:I have seen the bucks rolling in at a meat processer over in bowling Green near that area.
Gun season morning has some brutes taken. Shanks is all floodplain if I recall. Is that right?

Yes when I was there everything was flooded but I think it's on a lock system. I think they can regulate water a little bit in there. A lot of ag in there they flood for ducks.

briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:21 am

I used to live in North Mo for a bit. A beautiful CA is Rebels Cove in waaaaaaaaaaay north mo. Its very close to the IA border. I never bowhunted there but I coonhunted a bit and never really saw any sign of hunter pressue, but I could be totally off. A very muddy river runs though it and I am betting with a little river crossing you could get to some areas that aren't hit very hard.
TNRiverRat

Unread postby TNRiverRat » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:47 am

briar wrote:I used to live in North Mo for a bit. A beautiful CA is Rebels Cove in waaaaaaaaaaay north mo. Its very close to the IA border. I never bowhunted there but I coonhunted a bit and never really saw any sign of hunter pressue, but I could be totally off. A very muddy river runs though it and I am betting with a little river crossing you could get to some areas that aren't hit very hard.

I will look into Rebel's Cove. Thanks for the info. Anybody know if NE MO has been hit by EHD or CWD recently? I heard NW MO was hit pretty hard.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:56 am

Here's some info on NW region hunt in MO...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18686
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:58 am

Because of EHD in 2012-2013... I have not been back

The # of mature bucks fell off a cliff

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
TNRiverRat

Unread postby TNRiverRat » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:03 am

Bucky wrote:Because of EHD in 2012-2013... I have not been back

The # of mature bucks fell off a cliff

Are you talking about NE or NW MO?

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:54 am

N / NE

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”