Northern Missouri Public Land

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Aaron1987
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aaron.warbritton.3

Re: Northern Missouri Public Land

Unread postby Aaron1987 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:35 am

TNRiverRat wrote:I am looking to try my first non-resident DIY hunt. I have selected the great state of Missouri. I will be bow hunting and want to be up there for a week. What would be the best time of year for that area? Early or mid Nov? I was thinking if I hit an archery only CA, during gun season then I may not have near as much trouble with other people. Also any specific conservation areas yal would recommend? I am looking at Shanks right now, and hunting during the gun season 12th - 22nd. Hoping the gun hunters over on Dupont and Anderson may run some biggins over onto Shanks. I was hoping I could rely on the good fellows here on the Beast to provide me with some tips. Coordinates appreciated ;)

I grew up about an hour from Shanks. Remember duck hunting there one year right before Thanksgiving. Back in 04 or 05 maybe? We came out with 0 ducks but saw two different hunters with nice bucks in the parking lot. A beast could do some damage in there. Been several years since I've been over there though.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:21 am

One thing I learned and will remember if I make it back...

Make sure you know where the duck hunting is taking place! 1st morning in my stand I had Duck hunters shooting @ legal.
Holy crap they where on 150 yards away while strapped to a tree. Thank God for flash lights. I believe we all walked away pissed off...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:22 pm

timberwolf311 wrote:
Bucky wrote:Because of EHD in 2012-2013... I have not been back

The # of mature bucks fell off a cliff

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I wonder how long it takes that to TRUELY recover? I know it hit the old bucks hard but wouldn't the younger guys be mature now? Not being a jerk, truely curious. I saw 10 bucks in the last day last year and none where mature. I figured that was a me problem tbough lol.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

They are back in KS. This year, saw the 4 and 5yr olds. Summer of 2012, they got hit hard. 2012-2014 was pretty rough for mature bucks in KS.
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:54 pm

I've been planning this trip since last winter. I've never been out of state and like you I picked N MO. There's so many conservation areas to pick from that researching them is a chore. I had planned on going out there in the spring but work got busy so that was a no go. I might try to sneak away early season and get out there for a long weekend but my main focus will be the first or second week of November.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”