I'm a believer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: I'm a believer

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:40 am

BA-IV wrote:This is the most in depth study I've found regarding deer and gps studies...you'd have to do your own correlation with the moon though.

http://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/proj ... -buck-8917

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Yea that is a good article. While I am really happy they are doing studies like this, it also highlights the limitation of many telemetry studies. In the fall it takes a reading every 3 hours (outside of rifle season - where hunting pressure blows all other factors out of the water) and assumes movement is a straight line between those points. Any correlation with a "moon time" is impossible with 3 hr increments. They would need something closer to those 20 minute readings for any kind of analysis...yea that's a whole lot of data, but technology is there to handle it. IMO 3 hr increments is too great to capture even much effect from weather or much else for that matter. A buck is going to eat and bed every single day rain or shine...but WHEN and what effects that WHEN? A cold front hits and a buck gets up an hour earlier to feed....good chance it won't be detected. I don't mean to be too hard on these researchers, they are doing a good job with limited funding and man-power and most importantly, working to do better. We will see this improve.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:57 am

JoeRE wrote:
BA-IV wrote:This is the most in depth study I've found regarding deer and gps studies...you'd have to do your own correlation with the moon though.

http://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/proj ... -buck-8917

Yea that is a good article. While I am really happy they are doing studies like this, it also highlights the limitation of many telemetry studies. In the fall it takes a reading every 3 hours (outside of rifle season - where hunting pressure blows all other factors out of the water) and assumes movement is a straight line between those points. Any correlation with a "moon time" is impossible with 3 hr increments. They would need something closer to those 20 minute readings for any kind of analysis...yea that's a whole lot of data, but technology is there to handle it. IMO 3 hr increments is too great to capture even much effect from weather or much else for that matter. A buck is going to eat and bed every single day rain or shine...but WHEN and what effects that WHEN? A cold front hits and a buck gets up an hour earlier to feed....good chance it won't be detected. I don't mean to be too hard on these researchers, they are doing a good job with limited funding and man-power and most importantly, working to do better. We will see this improve.

I concur Joe

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:38 am

For those interested, Bill Vale, pressured deer fame, puts out a three to four month calendar showing all the best times according to moon phase, underfoot and overhead... I've used it the past three years and have had mixed results. But you cannot argue with Bill's success in Michigan, very few have killed the Bucks that he's killed in that state.

TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:45 am

The calendar of bills is based a lot off ambient light in the atmoshpere. Meaning less of it is when it looks dark outside to a deer. There are 2 times during day light hours to a deer one is more intense than the other. He also deals with pergie. Don't think I spelled that right lol. But that's when the moon is the closet to earth in its cycle. There's a lot to that calendar.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:44 am

Been getting a bunch of mid-day movement pics on my celluar cam the last few days between 11 am to 1 pm. Still getting typical movement first and last hour but flurry of activity in the middle of the day is eye opening for sure.

Can't argue with the peak movement times on my iSolunar app since I have been finding them to be spot on with pics I have coming in.

bowkill00

Unread postby bowkill00 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:45 am

Right on

bowkill00

Unread postby bowkill00 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:31 am

Saw 5 mature does in a soybean field today at 2:05 pm. Primary moon phase was roughly 1:30 pm to 4:30 pm. Temp was 95 degrees only deer I saw all day

Bubbles

Unread postby Bubbles » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:47 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:Stan's results...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27757&start=105

This was the same thread. The tally, not the results.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:06 pm

Without gong into what others are saying, I can tell you I've noticed spiked movements on moon overhead and underfoot days. In mature deer. Last year I saw bucks in the am on there feet at 9am-10am, and two hours before dark up and moving. Made me realize it's not to be ignored. It's not the tell all, but it's something to keep in mind and use to your advantage. And that was high pressure Michigan public land outside of the rut. First day of new moon I saw 12 does no bucks, I remembered hearing bucks will feed later and bed later, so I took day off of work and hunted next am, saw 9 bucks come back to a primary bedding location or move through along with prob 10 does. Was awesome sight and all late morning. Just my 2 cents and what I've saw personally.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”