How do you Bowhunt?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jlaneb
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SENDITTV/

How do you Bowhunt?

Unread postby Jlaneb » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:26 am

I'll keep it as short as I can.

Back Story
I grew up hunting with my dad. We shot deer out of blinds at long range with rifles. I killed three as a kid. I haven't been hunting in many years. This year, I'm taking up bowhunting. I've shot a compound bow several times and it came natural. I love the outdoors and have spent most of my adulthood in the military. This season I'll be hunting public (military installation) land in the South East. I plan to hunt whitetail primarily, but turkey and pigs are plentiful. I've done a ton of reading and have some great friends who are helping me get started. Below I'll post a list of the things I plan to purchase (I haven't bought anything yet other than literature) and some questions I'd like some experienced Bowhunters' opinions on. Thanks so much for your help!

My Plan Budget: $1200
Bow: 2016 Diamond Deploy SB
Stand: A climber of some sort (I'll be on public land and won't really be able to have a permanent set up)
Safety Harness: Need Advice
Range Finder: Need Advice
Camo: BDUs/OCP (military stuff until I can afford hunting camo)
Knife: Need Advice GPS: Garmin 401 Foretrex (purchased)

Questions What other gear do I need? How do I choose where to set up my climber? Should I buy my bow in a pro shop or online? What climbers should I look at? What am I missing? What tips do you have for a new bowhunter? What is a pinch point, sign, funnel, food source, water source etc? (I understand the theory, but how do I identify them?) What sources are out there that will teach me the basics? I can't wait for the season to start. I'm already obsessed with a hobby that I've never known.

Thanks again for the help.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

hunter_mike

Re: How do you Bowhunt?

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:47 am

Glad to have you on the beast!

Here is a link to a good thread to look through to get you started: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22881&hilit=must+have+equipment

Keep it simple and have fun is what I try to do!

For a safety harness and mobile hunting I would suggest you research a rock climbing harness. Much more useful for a mobile hunter. I use a Black Diamond Alpine Bod Climbing Harness and it has served me well for a couple years now.

Tree stand, hard to beat some silenced lone wolf climbing sticks and some sort of lightweight hang on tree stand.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
jcz

Unread postby jcz » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:01 am

Thank you for your service!!!
JackKnifeJake

Unread postby JackKnifeJake » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:01 am

the search button is your new best friend.......and welcome to the beast!
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:31 am

Jlaneb wrote:I'll keep it as short as I can.

Questions What other gear do I need? How do I choose where to set up my climber? Should I buy my bow in a pro shop or online? What climbers should I look at? What am I missing? What tips do you have for a new bowhunter? What is a pinch point, sign, funnel, food source, water source etc? (I understand the theory, but how do I identify them?) What sources are out there that will teach me the basics? I can't wait for the season to start. I'm already obsessed with a hobby that I've never known.

Thanks again for the help.

Thanks for your service.

Gear must haves- stand, harness, bow, compass, internet/maps

Stand - I'd recommend a hang-on & stick(s), advantage is this setup gets you hunting where others with climbers can't. In the SE 80%-90% of hunters use climbers because we have climber friendly trees. So think about it if you can avoid 80-90% of the pressure you'll already be in the game.

Harness - as mentioned rock climbing harness, safer, lighter, & gives you climbing setup options a traditional back harness can't

Bow - I'd strongly suggest used, check archery talk classified. You can probably get a fully rigged bow for $800 only a yr or 2 old

Compass - any quality unit. Your phone is also a very valuable gps unit get a good gps app.

internet - mapping sites bing, caltopo, county gis, state game departments. This site for mature buck tactics. Here is another great read to start finding & killing deer (deer not mature bucks) as this can be a tough task here in the SE. I highly recommend finding & hunting "hot" food sources. This writeup outlines it to a T.

http://www.outdoorcore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9190

Get a system that allows you to be mobile & be MOBILE. Never settle for marginal sign. Scout at least twice as much as you hunt.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:10 am

First if you are hunting in the south invest in a thermacell and permethrin. There are threads on here about both of those products. That will keep the bugs at bay.

Most bows on the market are very good and you don't have to buy the latest and greatest model. There are tiny advances every year but not enough to warrant a new one but about every 10-12yrs. I would look for something in the diamond,mission, ect. They are not super expensive and will get the job done. Put preference on quiet and smooth. Also being new to archery I would buy from a shop. They know more about set up than you do. It's that simple.

Treestand, I hunted out of an API climber for years. They are solid and comfortable enough however a hang on(lone wolf style) with sticks is much more versatile. XOP are a little cheaper. I've got a millennium that is super comfy but it makes some noise. Hang ons go in crooked trees and skinny trees.

I use a hunter safety system. It's light

Rangefinder pick one. I've got a Nikon. It was on sale after hunting season.

I carry a shrade to cut the guts out and bust through the brisket but you can clean deer with a regular ol sod buster pocket knife. It doesn't have to be fancy.

Get Dan's DVDs and for reading material mapping trophy whitetails. That should explain funnels and pinch points.

Good luck and check out the all time threads

JSnake

Unread postby JSnake » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:47 am

I'm gonna guess you are at Fort Stewart based on the hogs comment. If so, Thermacell, permethrin, and short sleeves :dance:

I have a climber but have also grown to prefer sticks and a hang on for the versatility.

Being in a similar situation as you last year, I was initially going to buy one of the lower range PSEs (which are great btw) but ended up spending a little more to get a fully set up/tuned 2015 Obsession from a local small shop for less than a grand. Ended up very happy with my decision. Like someone else stated, ArcheryTalk classifieds is where it's at.

Thank you for your service and happy hunting!
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:32 am

Be aware of what a killing shot will be with a bow. Coming from gun hunting it is a difference, a BIG difference.
This site and all of the regular members acknowledge that the pursuit of game is a lifelong learning process.
You can make huge jumps in knowledge and experience here and in the woods. Later on we pick up small tricks and adjustments to our overall skill set.
Good luck and stay safe.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:45 am

Trim shooting lanes - arrows are not bullets:)

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:51 am

I bought a $100 halo rangefinder and it lasted about 6-8 seasons for me. I am on 2 years now with a $150 bushnell. The pricey range finders are nice but not a necessity.

Do yourself a favor if you have to hunt a distance form vehicle access and buy a game cart.

If you are going to spend any money on camo get something open pattern, ASAT, predator, enigma etc… ASAT makes a 3d leafy suit that you can use in hot weather and also wear it over warm winter clothes, so you don't have to worry about buying a bunch of camo for different weather, just wear the leafy suit over clothes you already have.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:18 am

X2 on what PK said. Leafy suit is a great investment if you are just starting out because you can just throw it on over just about anything. Also the comment about not needing the latest and greatest bow is spot on. I shoot a 2013 PSE Brute X (around $500 ready to shoot I think it was) and routinely practice with it out to 76 yards in the back yard. Prior to that I hunted with a PSE Nova that I bought used for $100 for 8 or 9 seasons. I killed many deer and hogs with it. Just keep the shots within 30 yards and it will do the trick with a solid broadhead. Take some time to learn the anatomy of a deer and exactly where an arrow needs to be placed. For broadheads look into the Slicktricks. ALWAYS carry a Compass.

With $1200 this would be my list:

Bow $500 (you pick the one you are comfortable) Any bow in that price range will be 100x more capable then the old PSE Nova I hunted with.
Knife Gerber Copperhead w/guthook $30 is a decent all around blade and a Kershaw Cryo $30 is my everyday carry for the smaller more detailed work.
GPS: you got that covered already
Clothes: Leafy suit $100
Stand: Lone Wolf and sticks $500ish
Harness: I use the ones that comes with stands and i prob have 10 of them still in the package. Hit me up if you want one to try I'll send it to you for the cost of Shipping.
I am looking into the rock harnesses now.
Education: a few of Dan's hunting vids to start you down the path correctly $15ea I think.
Rangefinder: Hit Ebay up I think I got my Busnell around $70 and I have had it since 2006.

Total: somewhere around $1200
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:42 am

A couple tips when you purchase your bow.

Draw weight should be in a range you can EASILY draw from all angles and situations. To many new guys think its a macho contest to have their bows cranked up.

Make sure the bow fits you. Shoot lots of em before you decide on one. Go to a reputable dealer. They should help you. If you feel like they are pushing, rushing or just trying to make a sale go some where else.

Spend your money on a good bow and a good stand. They are your bread and butter.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:26 am

X2

oldrank wrote:
Draw weight should be in a range you can EASILY draw from all angles and situations.

Spend your money on a good bow and a good stand. They are your bread and butter.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:31 am

Cut shooting lanes - arrows are not bullets:)

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:57 am

Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back. Nothing wrong with a little beginners luck. Kill a big one! Thanks for your service

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”