What have you learned as a Beast lately??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

What have you learned as a Beast lately??

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:15 pm

I listen to Moons podcast the other day and really enjoyed his breakdown of how he set his cams and patterns his deer. His enthusiasm is contagious n has motivated me to try some different things.

I watched DaveTs video on a treesaddle footrest out of a lonewolf seat. Super cool!!

Dan n I did a map review. Picked up some great tips. It was cool to here Dan getting pumped about deer too. I could tell he loves hunting n we were talking about my area.

Just a few things that have stuck with me the last few weeks. Its amazing the amount of knowledge we can all share here. This is the Greatest deer hunting site...OF ALL TIME!!! (A little Ali..RIP)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: What have you learned as a Beast lately??

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:20 pm

This place is awesome! Dave gave me some good ideas with some of his posts about trailcams. Sometimes a light bulb goes on and I think I should be doing that. We're lucky to have great hunters posting free knowledge

Last edited by Hawthorne on Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:45 pm

I'm really studying up on hill country thermals as I am planning on a hunt to Wisconsin in 2017 and I want to give both marsh and hill country a shot..... giving up my Ohio trip for this so I've been hitting the archives and trying to learn as much as i can about an area I've never hunted. I'm probably going to west central area and may even try a little minnesota..... trouble is it is so far scouting is probably out.... so cyber scouting and Scout and hunt is what I'm leaning towards.

BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:53 pm

I've been studying old threads learning hill country for my upcoming Illinois public land hunt. Also doing some summer scouting here in Louisiana applying a few of the things I'm reading to see what works and what don't. Besides that I've learned it's HOT and the snakes are out in full force!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:53 pm

I've been studying old threads learning hill country for my upcoming Illinois public land hunt. Also doing some summer scouting here in Louisiana applying a few of the things I'm reading to see what works and what don't. Besides that I've learned it's HOT and the snakes are out in full force!

Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:31 pm

Summer scouting!!!!! There is a ton more a guy can do in the summer other than just run trail cameras and expect them to do all the work. I always run cams and do some glassing. But this summer I am going to run more cams than ever, spend more time behind the binos and spotting scope, and really start putting in the effort on identifying particular tracks. I want to be fully confident that I am going to kill a buck on October 1.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:33 pm

I sat for two hours today slowly releasing milkweed in one of my setups... The wind was pretty calm, and it was pretty shocking to see just how much area your scent can cover on an almost dead calm day. Probably my first true in person lesson with that, dang that milkweed is great stuff.

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:51 pm

Looking at some fantastic opportunities for this upcoming season. Put a bug in a buddies ear about 6 mos ago about some property he said we could probably get on. Well, he made some calls and made it happen. Been doing a bunch of research on state I have never hunted and ended landing what appears to be an opportunity we all dream about. So today...work was hard to concentrate on.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:17 pm

Never did much hill country hunting but this year I'm diving in head first. Can't express enough to all you guys that helped me cut the learning curve how much I appreciate it. Scouting is pretty much done and cams are now collecting info on my findings. Can't wait to put it all to test on Oct. 1.

vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:31 am

One thread that I really enjoyed reading and really took my time reading was the edge thread. I always knew deer are creatures of the edge, but I didn't understand that edges could be more than hardwoods to conifers. Blew my mind that things such as rivers and any difference really is an edge :doh:

Since reading that very informative thread I have focused my scouting efforts on all the different edges that I can find. Granted, most of my scouting has been online aerial maps, I can't wait to put what I learned to practice and find those areas that are holding bucks, find where they are using these edges and track back to beds.
-Rick
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:58 am

That I don't keep enough notes.....
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:45 am

I have mainly been learning trail cam strategies, since most of my summer scouting this year will be through trail cams. Re-listened to the bucky podcast. I am trying to adapt his strategies to my own hunting areas. I have had a couple successes and a couple failures this summer so far (i guess it is technically still spring right now).

Trying to get my cams close enough, but not too close to the bedding. So far my most aggressive camera placement has yielded the best results. ~300 yards from buck bedding. My least aggressive cam placement (over 1/4 mile from buck bedding) has given me a bunch of doe and fawn photos.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:02 am

I learned I am not in nearly good enough shape to be a beast yet, but I'm on my way. Longest scout to date all day 7am to 4pm last thursday 12.3 miles of swamp/palmetto fields. Oh and the snakes are in full force right now, so many moccasins and pygmy rattlers. Confirmed a couple of hunches on a new to me WMA and shot down a couple places that I thought would be good. I will say the things I have learned on here about cyber scouting are second only to actually getting your boot nasty and seeing the proof on the ground.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:44 am

I am constantly picking up little things here and there. Right now working on a saddle platform mod inspired by what DaveT uses, among others.

The last major epiphany I had was how bucks use hill country thermal hubs in their pre-rut seeking behavior. Last year sometime I realized just what I had been seeing.

Long Live the Beast :D
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:56 pm

I learned that the woods are wet this year and the antlers are growing big and fast then most years.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”