Repetitive buck movement

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Repetitive buck movement

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:25 am

I agree with Dave, with the exception that I still see patterns during rut... Probably the best ones in pre-rut.

One thing to remember is that the oldest (which are usually the biggest) bucks tend to repeat more than the younger ones... And, some properties are fragile... One hunt can screw them up for a long time. Better to move in when a shooter shows, and to know right where he will show... Is it for every situation? No, of coarse not, but as Dave stated, its just another tool.

I like the odds of 1 out of 4 vs 1 out of 20 any day...

When I was younger and more bull headed and aggressive, I rarely did observation sits and often paid the price by being a little off mark, or dirting up the area keeping everything nocturnal and inconsistent by adding human intrusion. Now I hunt smarter with the things I learned though many years of learning lessons...

One more factor you may not have considered... If you observe 1st you may find a nice buck you would surly shoot coming out, then a little while later a much bigger buck you would pass the 1st for... That's exactly what happened with me when I observed the "400 pound beast buck". the 1st buck coming out was a 140 class buck I would of gladly shot if I did not watch 1st and see a monster behind... I ended up passing the 140 and shooting the beast a little while later.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:53 am

Lockdown you say setting on the bench and watching instead of being in the box and in the game. Well I look at it like this, I'm watching game film, as all the greats do. I'm observing and looking for a weakness. For future bouts with the next hunt. A tipped pitch, a small tell....all for future success. It's not always about the hunt today, but it's always about the kill tomorrow and for the future. Observation stands are overlooking known bedding or suspecting bedding that's holding bucks and does year in year out that I know produce. I don't care if I have 100 stands set up, for me going in when the buck reveals himself to be using an in daylight pays off huge. Number one even if he's not in that bed when you do hunt it, you know he's up now in daylight and moving. So you have to start hunting the beds you've scouted in that area, and it's why I've said it takes time to learn all the locations and how your area is used. Yes they win sometimes, more times than we do, that's hunting. But armed with knowledge and knowing a buck is moving in daylight, I like my chances. 25% of the time, 1/4 hunts your seeing repetitive movement, and that usually results in a kill for me. And if not a kill, I'm only learning more about how they move and how to refine my setup for the next crack at that place. Repetitive buck movements and predictions leads to repetitive bucks in the kill thread :lol:

Now in saying this, I want to be clear, I don't set all observation stands all the time. I use them when I believe the buck I'm after is in a location and I want to confirm he is before I go in on my one crack. Plus you can observe travel route that only breeds confidence on the kill set up. I don't sit observation stands in the rut. I'm setting doe bedding and travel routes to and from. But see observation stands help here as well because you can also learn how the does use the area and where they bed adjacent to bucks and it helps pay off. So much to gain from observing from afar. Your only arming yourself with knowledge and watching how deer use an area. Most guys want that instant potential, but setting yourself up for years is what I want to do so I'm taking mature bucks every year I can with consistency, I don't like the chance he could be here or maybe here game. I like physical evidence and intel, then go in and assassinate that slob :lol:

Not all the tactics in here will be for everyone. But they can work for everyone, if used properly. There are many hunters off this site who's knowledge of how to kill mature bucks are worth their weight in gold and are worth a try. But your area is ultimately up to you on what works best. I personally like the challenge of the chess match, he makes a move, I make a move and it's the first one to checkmate. Many times sitting observation stands I acquire other bucks worth pursuing. Constant learning and adapting is what works best for me. When you do something and it produces it's hard to shy away from it. Plus I truly realized how little mature bucks can move in daylight on high pressure public I hunt. Every decision I make has to be calculated and precise or I'm shooting myself in the foot and only giving him more education that he's being hunted. Hunters can also have repetitive patterns that deer also learn and adapt to. I once hunted lots of different areas in different stands continuously but I felt like I was spinning my wheels because I may not see what I hoped for and learned nothing but an empty sit. Didn't mean the spot wasn't good. Just meant I didn't see what I hoped for. This is where observation stands pay off. Without burning an area you get to see the bigger picture from afar. The scene unfolds before your eyes. I've had several Ah Ha moments. Many times hunters don't truly know the area they are hunting and how mature deer, not just deer, use the area. I have a hard time swallowing the waiting game. From one hunters prospective to the next.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:55 am

dan wrote:I agree with Dave, with the exception that I still see patterns during rut... Probably the best ones in pre-rut.

One thing to remember is that the oldest (which are usually the biggest) bucks tend to repeat more than the younger ones... And, some properties are fragile... One hunt can screw them up for a long time. Better to move in when a shooter shows, and to know right where he will show... Is it for every situation? No, of coarse not, but as Dave stated, its just another tool.

I like the odds of 1 out of 4 vs 1 out of 20 any day...

[glow=red]When I was younger and more bull headed and aggressive, I rarely did observation sits and often paid the price by being a little off mark, or dirting up the area keeping everything nocturnal and inconsistent by adding human intrusion. Now I hunt smarter with the things I learned though many years of learning lessons...[/glow]
One more factor you may not have considered... If you observe 1st you may find a nice buck you would surly shoot coming out, then a little while later a much bigger buck you would pass the 1st for... That's exactly what happened with me when I observed the "400 pound beast buck". the 1st buck coming out was a 140 class buck I would of gladly shot if I did not watch 1st and see a monster behind... I ended up passing the 140 and shooting the beast a little while later.

Interesting information. You sound just like a good friend of mine. I'm just about the opposite. I'm more aggressive now than I was 30 years ago. I have always been a low impact type hunter and still am. That said I think time and the Beast site has made me a bit more aggressive. I think that is a good thing for me. I have always been a measure twice cut once type of guy.

It is easy to find guys that can do the job fast. It is also easy to find guys that can do the job very well. The tough part is to guys that can do the job fast and very well. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:59 am

I think as we spend more time in the woods that things become more apparent and we know when we should step back during the season and watch more then hunt?. I usually have a gut feeling when I am close but need to sit an observation stand to confirm something I suspect. Like I said above, in my personal experience, the very best time to pattern a buck is late summer up to beginning of October when they are on a bed/feed/bed pattern or then again in late winter when they are on the same kind of pattern. During these two specific times buck only have two things on their mind - safety and eating. I focus most of my observation stands in July-Aug and then again immediately after season - or, like last year, if I tag out early you bet I am out during rest of season looking.

My post about not relying on observation sits for Rut and sometimes not for pre-rut is due to the very unpredictable nature of bucks during this time. Food becomes less a priority and preparation for and the actual breeding consumes their thoughts. Seldom can you count on a buck doing the same thing two days in a row from 3rd week of Oct until late November. But, as we all know, every deer is different - so if you have a buck that is repeating patterns in pre-rut/rut, and you don't have it nailed down then yes sit an observation stand if you can get in/out and see the location you want to see.

What I do during pre-rut and rut, if I want to sit for observation (at this point I know a buck is present just need confirmation to establish what and when) I am going to sit in a funnel or travel corridor that might give me a crack at him. I personally feel you will have far better odds sitting funnels and travel corridors then a [glow=red]true observation stand[/glow]. While it has happened, seldom has sitting an [glow=red]observation stand[/glow]during pre-rut and rut led to my killing a buck..... however, I have killed many while sitting chosen funnels and travel corridors that allowed some glassing of an area I suspected the buck was using or bedding in. But the truth is my areas don't allow a lot of glassing where I am hunting - way too thick. The rare exception is for guys waiting for the bucks to start chasing, you know a good place year in and year out that will get hot, so you sit and observe and wait for the action to happen and then move in. I have several of these stands.... however, I usually an hunting and once I observe rutting behavior then I move in. Another exception is for out-of-state hunts where I just don't have the time to scout and do my normal process of inventory and stand selection.

In truth though, [glow=red]I think all stands are observation stands, or dang well should be[/glow]. We should be seeing and learning and logging buck behavior as we see it to establish patterns for upcoming years. That 2 1/2 year old basket 8 might be a deer you want to take a crack at in 2 years. I know some mention they don't carry binoculars on their daily hunts, man I cannot imagine hunting without my binoculars. They have allowed me to pick a antler tip in heavy brush, zoom in to really see what was on a deer's head, allow me to see a distant ridge, etc.... another tool that should be in the tool box IMHO.

BLUF: I would almost never sit a stand from 3rd week of Oct until end of Nov where I thought no shot could possibly present itself. I would much rather pick a stand in a funnel or corridor that is closer and one that might afford me a shot.... even if that meant I might have limited glassing opportunity.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:52 am

Lockdown wrote:Lots of great posts and an excellent learning thread! Let's go back to talking about the observation sit itself.

Do we do an observation sit or don't we? Sit back and watch, or go for it and hope for the 1st sit kill? :think:

Stanley wrote:For the most part it is a crap shoot.

If I had to guess I would suspect about a 3% chance a buck holds pattern.

mainebowhunter wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:Assuming a buck is not otherwise disturbed by hunter presence and stable weather, what is the likelihood that a mature buck will move the same way he did the day before? Or out another way, you do an observation sit and see a target buck go down a specific trail or through an area, what are the chances he does the same thing the next day such that if you set up on him you will have a shot opportunity?

Honestly, I kind of give up on the repetitive buck movement. Sometimes it happens. But not often.

dan wrote:When I see a buck hunting or observing and move in the next day for a kill, I think my odds of seeing that buck the next day are about 40%...

whitetailassasin wrote:One major thing that stuck out to me in the last couple posts is this, look at the % Dan is listing as top of the line, and then figure [glow=red]even if your chances are 25% success,[/glow] your out hunting 99% of the guys out there. You've hunted the animal with a purpose and didn't just sit back. Check those odds of sitting back and "waiting" not HUNTING, guarantee your in a low single digit success rate for the majority.

Let's use WTA's number of 25%. I think for most of us (myself included) our number would be lower than that.

Even Stanley and Maine, who are both reputable big buck killers, are saying its really tough to pattern and kill a buck. "Will he be here [glow=red]tomorrow[/glow]?" We want the same movement twice in a row... that's it. I wouldn't even really call that a pattern.

25% he'll be back. To me those are OK odds, but not all THAT great! At some point too many observation sits will be counter productive. I believe I will only lay eyes on a couple shooter bucks each fall, so if I'm [glow=red]sitting back and watching from a distance[/glow], am I overjoyed that I have a 25% chance that he'll be back the next day? :think:

I'm not knocking observation sits. I know they have their place. But [glow=red]when[/glow]do they? I've got more trees and ground blinds than I can possibly hunt, and most places I'm only going to sit once. With all those spots if I play it safe and wait to verify a shooter is there I won't be hunting much at all. Then you're going to tell me I've got a 25% chance that he'll be there next time?

Sorry but I'll be in the kill tree most often. To me its better to be in the batter's box anxiously awaiting that pitch, not sitting on the bench seeing what the pitcher can do. Some of the best home run hitters strike out a lot because they swing for the fence all the time.

I look at it this way. Sure, when you are able to observe it is great because the bedding is left untouched and you can hunt it in the future. But there is still nothing saying a buck will be there in three weeks or a month. Common sense tells us we will also have missed opportunities by not being in the game.

Its a guessing came filled with pros and cons.

Do you guys see what I'm getting at? If I'm out [glow=red]hunting[/glow]and I see a buck do something that I can make a play on, I'm absolutely going to do it. I have a 25% chance of seeing him again! 8-) Being in the batter's box and seeing something is totally different than seeing something from the sideline. I'm just worried a few of the newer members will read all of this stuff about observing and spend too much time out of the game.

I'd like to hear from the experienced guys on [glow=red]WHEN and WHY they choose to observe certain bedding areas.[/glow]

Lockdown - yep, I have had a lot of the same thoughts. Again, a lot of this is just learning and applying it to your situation. Lots of guys on here have killed more bucks than I and use this tool to their advantage. I choose to purchase as many trail cams as I can afford and I camera bomb a lot of areas. I really also try to use the cameras to let know a buck is in the area and hopefully I can figure out what bed he is using.

Dave mentioned it below. Its a tool. I am hunting lots of thicker cover with lower deer numbers. I observe through the summer...but mostly from a vehicle. And very very few spots do I ever see big bucks around in daylight during the summer. Only one spot consistently. Summer observation can be a big deal if you have a season opener that is in September. Most times though, I hunt in the timber so laying your eyeballs on a buck during the season usually means he is in killing distance or very very close. Most of my sets I cannot see more than 50yds. Some, even less. We just have so much cover here. Most of the time, I carry a rangefinder but rarely do I use it. Binoculars, in some spots, I do bring them.

I would say in KS, observations have played a bigger role in alerting me to a terrain feature that I have missed. I kept seeing deer do a certain thing whenever they came through there. Prompted me to figure out why. Where I killed buck last year, thats based upon a lot of previous years observations not so much in the season observations. A big buck pattern of them being in that area later on in the season. A break in a fence, along with the terrain creates a wicked pinch that ALL of the deer go through when moving from one end of the property to the other. Binoculars are an absolute must here. NEVER leave home without them.

Sometimes, the "smarter not harder" mentality comes from just the sheer amount of knowledge you have about a given area. Years and years of experience. When you are just getting started out, you don't have the collected amount of data to rely on. So you hunt harder because you have nothing else. I do a lot of spot checking through the season...I know if I see tracks, droppings rubs or deer sign, I know a good buck is in the area. I know where I can probably catch him at. Sometimes its a buck I have observed 1/2 mile away in another spot.

At the end of the day, I want to be at the spot, if I see a good buck doing something in an area -- observed or on cam-- if my scouting is done right and a little luck on my side, I should know where I can catch him at. Whether that is from an observation sit 1 day prior or 1 year prior, I am trying to improve my odds by going through all of the data, trying to make sense of the data that I have. Its all about trying to get ahead of the deer not hunting behind him.

And this discussion is why I joined the beast in the first place. Everyone putting their heads together and banging out, hashing over a question. Its all about learning.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:20 pm

This is a top notch thread! Lots of real world knowledge being brought to the table.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:56 pm

Figured I would take a picture to illustrate why I don't do many observation sits and also why most times, when I see the buck I am after for the first time, he is usually in range. Access was the reason I was in this spot tonight. Wanted to see how I could get a low impact access to hunt the bed/staging area...and I got it. Now can hunt the bedding area on an east wind.

To the right of this spot, 75 yds, there are beds. Between me and the beds are about 60-70 old/new rubs from past years. Got pics of 2 good bucks in this area last week. Thinking this may be a primary bedding area. So I might hear a buck coming...might catch a glimpse of him...but I cannot see much thats for sure. I wish it was not this way but it is. Many spots, I either see a buck or I don't and I do not really learn much more than that.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:30 pm

You nailed it to me Maine, years and years of collect knowledge and watching from afar and then applying what you've learned. Cams observe an area you are overlooking, and allow you to push the envelope without setting foot in there more than you need to. Cell cams are going to revolutionize how we observe and also lead to higher percentages of kills.

Dave you also hit on a great point, observing in the rut can be super effective from previous years patterns and locations that get hot. Any time you can put the pieces together and translate that into encounters and kills, your doing your job.

I can see how Stan and others could be more aggressive and how someone whose more aggressive could learn when to be and when not to be and become more patient. I think it takes an even keel of both when the time calls for it.

I personally have been hunting a specific one mile square section for about 7-8 years. The first couple years I was sitting where I thought they would bed, and sign from the season. Then I took some pages from a few guys here and went to work. I started seeing older bucks and better hunts. Then I started locating all the beds I could and starting observing as well, those beds, feeling as though I could help myself way more by learning the timing and when I'm seeing mature bucks in them and what beds primarily held younger bucks. I knew it would take time but that in time I'd be more successful once I knew how the bucks moved and why. Four years in a row, at this particular place I've arrowed mature bucks and target bucks at that. And every year I'm only improving and increasing odds with less sits in this area. I'm doing the same thing in another area and when I learn that one like this one I'll take on another. I can't hunt 100 places in one season. I don't have the time to do so, so I have to know what areas are the best I have to offer and know them intimately. I hunted this section 8 times last year observing 5 of those times. On the sits I didn't observe, I passed two 3.5 year olds and shot 2 4.5+ bucks. On my observation sits, I saw both those bucks I shot before I hunted them. Only one observation sit yielded no mature buck movement.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:50 am

Its post like this that draw me to the Beast. Great info from a lot of good hunters and different styles. Each terrain, buck and situation is so different..... I like reading all the thoughts and tactics.

I kind of look at it like a savings account. The more I read and study tactics and techniques and I file them away in my hair covered computer - it is like making a deposit. If I make enough, then when a situation arises I will have something to withdraw. Let's just say that with the Beast site I am, and have made, a lot of deposits that should pay out for me in the future. Have to say thanks to Dan and all the contributors for making this site such a wealth of free information from a lot of above average hunters.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:41 am

For guys like WA or Dan who are observing or attempting to observe bucks in or around their beds prior to going in for the kill, how are you doing this without boogering up the area with your scent or spooking other deer, etc? It seems like in most cases you would need to get pretty close to see this kind of activity by a buck. Or, are most of your observation sits such that you are making some educated guesses for movement?

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:22 am

The more I think about this topic, the more I think it is VERY situational. Not all regions are conducive for observing (big woods like Maine is dealing with)... Not all terrain types are going to see the same amount of repetitive movement... Sometimes the property itself won't be conducive for observing, deer density/buck quality/hunting pressure all factor in. The list could go on and on.

WTA I am thinking that you are a big advocate of observing because of your [glow=red]specificity for one of a few select bucks[/glow]. You only have a couple bucks on your hit list, and running around bedding area to bedding area isn't the best approach for you. Throw in the fact that you have a property that is capable of producing big bucks annually, you know the property like the back of your hand due to YEARS of scouting observation and hard work, and you are able to observe without being too intrusive. Saying it the way I just did is probably making it sound far easier than it actually is. I know the amount of effort you put in! You have your recipe for success figured out and it works well.

For me on the other hand, I'm gunning for [glow=red]ANY[/glow] 3.5 or better. I don't care what he scores. This was only my 3rd year scouting (2nd for my best property). I don't have the intimate knowledge of this property that I need in order to feel confident that "If he's not in this bedding area this time of year, I'd be willing to bet he's bedding over here." There is quite a level of "crap shoot" for my situation. On top of that, often times if I observe and he's not there, he's likely on the private land next door.

My biggest issue is the availability of observation stands. I can't see most of my bedding until I'm either in my kill tree or close enough that I feel I'm burning that bridge trying to observe. Especially since I'm not targeting a specific buck(s), I feel that HUNTING SMART and hunting these beds one by one is the best option [glow=red]for me[/glow] at this point in time.

I'm not trying to tell anyone else what to do, but like I said before I would hate for some of the new guys to be sitting back in observation stands more than they should thinking they're doing the right thing. You have "passive" and "aggressive"... the right combination of both is likely different for a lot of hunters. Being too passive will cost you deer, as will being too aggressive.

One of Dan's comments stuck out to me regarding our 25% chance of seeing the buck after observing. "I'd rather have a 1 in 4 chance than a 1 in 20". Me too :mrgreen: The problem I have with that statement is to get to that one in four, how many of those 1 in 20 sits did you have? Like I said before, I typically see 1 or 2 shooters PER YEAR. (I'm confident that number will rise in the future due to becoming more proficient with Beast tactics.) If we're going by numbers, I would need to lay eyes on 4 shooters a year to "guarantee" that I will be effective with my 25% success rate. In theory one of the 4 will show up. If I'm only seeing one or two shooters a year, MOST years I'm not going to punch a tag.

The argument could be made: "If you back off a little more, maybe your sightings will go up." That may be true :think:

My way of thinking is that as long as I play my cards right and hunt smart, I'm going to be in the game on those one or two encounters. Now let's take Dan's situation. He's got a lot of bedding nailed down and a lot of experience. Correct me if I'm wrong Dan, but if you bowhunted hard I'm betting you could lay eyes on 4 or 5 shooter bucks a year. That's just a guess. With that many encounters his likelihood for success that season is much higher, because is afforded that 25% chance two or three times as much as someone in a situation similar to mine.

Love the discussion guys! Like Dave said, this is why I love the Beast.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:27 am

I was thinking a while back that I should observe as much as possible the week before the season opens. Maybe that will get me in the 25% category on opening day?? :think:

If we have the time, why WOULDN'T we observe? Maybe I should tell the wife that opener is a week before the actual date :lol:
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:34 am

Lockdown wrote:The more I think about this topic, the more I think it is VERY situational. Not all regions are conducive for observing (big woods like Maine is dealing with)... Not all terrain types are going to see the same amount of repetitive movement... Sometimes the property itself won't be conducive for observing, deer density/buck quality/hunting pressure all factor in. The list could go on and on.

WTA I am thinking that you are a big advocate of observing because of your specificity for one of a few select bucks. You only have a couple bucks on your hit list, and running around bedding area to bedding area isn't the best approach for you. Throw in the fact that you have a property that is capable of producing big bucks annually, you know the property like the back of your hand due to YEARS of scouting observation and hard work, and you are able to observe without being too intrusive. Saying it the way I just did is probably making it sound far easier than it actually is. I know the amount of effort you put in! You have your recipe for success figured out and it works well.

For me on the other hand, I'm gunning for ANY 3.5 or better. I don't care what he scores. This was only my 3rd year scouting (2nd for my best property). I don't have the intimate knowledge of this property that I need in order to feel confident that "If he's not in this bedding area this time of year, I'd be willing to bet he's bedding over here." There is quite a level of "crap shoot" for my situation. On top of that, often times if I observe and he's not there, he's likely on the private land next door.

My biggest issue is the availability of observation stands. I can't see most of my bedding until I'm either in my kill tree or close enough that I feel I'm burning that bridge trying to observe. Especially since I'm not targeting a specific buck(s), I feel that HUNTING SMART and hunting these beds one by one is the best option for me at this point in time.

I'm not trying to tell anyone else what to do, but like I said before I would hate for some of the new guys to be sitting back in observation stands more than they should thinking they're doing the right thing. You have "passive" and "aggressive"... the right combination of both is likely different for a lot of hunters. Being too passive will cost you deer, as will being too aggressive.

One of Dan's comments stuck out to me regarding our [glow=red]25% chance of seeing the buck after observing[/glow]. "I'd rather have a 1 in 4 chance than a 1 in 20". Me too :mrgreen: The problem I have with that statement is to get to that one in four, how many of those 1 in 20 sits did you have? Like I said before, I typically see 1 or 2 shooters PER YEAR. (I'm confident that number will rise in the future due to becoming more proficient with Beast tactics.) If we're going by numbers, I would need to lay eyes on 4 shooters a year to "guarantee" that I will be effective with my 25% success rate. In theory one of the 4 will show up. If I'm only seeing one or two shooters a year, MOST years I'm not going to punch a tag.

The argument could be made: "If you back off a little more, maybe your sightings will go up." That may be true :think:

My way of thinking is that as long as I play my cards right and hunt smart, I'm going to be in the game on those one or two encounters. Now let's take Dan's situation. He's got a lot of bedding nailed down and a lot of experience. Correct me if I'm wrong Dan, but if you bowhunted hard I'm betting you could lay eyes on 4 or 5 shooter bucks a year. That's just a guess. With that many encounters his likelihood for success that season is much higher, because is afforded that 25% chance two or three times as much as someone in a situation similar to mine.

Love the discussion guys! Like Dave said, this is why I love the Beast.

but what this does not factor in is the overall success rate of observation stands themselves. If the whole theory is a buck will not get up and move far in daylight the overall % of successful observation stands probably is not all that high and diminishes as deer feel or perceive pressure. I think once hunting season starts it becomes less likely, especially in some terrains, to be able to find a vantage point where a buck will expose himself during daylight. I know for me, the bucks I usually am after there just is no way to observe them once dove season kicks in Sept - they just don't come out of the heavy cover. Yes they move around a lot in that cover during daylight, but being able to find a observation point that allows you to see into this cover is not very likely. Like mentioned above, in KS and Montana - due to more open terrain and high vantage points it was easier. In Ohio, TX, OK and other states it just is not as feasible.

I personally feel Its a tool that works in some areas and some times better at certain times. The rut can change this and bucks may pop out into the open more - however, I find it extremely difficult to pattern a buck that is cruising and chasing - they just are not all that "routine" to where an observation stand will show you where to set up in most cases. Now it might give you a clue into a new area of a big buck being in the area - then its a study of map, finding sign and setting up.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:15 am

mheichelbech wrote:For guys like WA or Dan who are observing or attempting to observe bucks in or around their beds prior to going in for the kill, how are you doing this without boogering up the area with your scent or spooking other deer, etc? It seems like in most cases you would need to get pretty close to see this kind of activity by a buck. Or, are most of your observation sits such that you are making some educated guesses for movement?

On the farm I can sit back and with optics watch the whole farm without getting scent in there, or spooking deer... In the marshs and swamps I can sit in a position where I won't spook but can see a certain location or two...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:23 am

Lockdown wrote:I was thinking a while back that I should observe as much as possible the week before the season opens. Maybe that will get me in the 25% category on opening day?? :think:

If we have the time, why WOULDN'T we observe? Maybe I should tell the wife that opener is a week before the actual date :lol:

This is actually how I have gotten a lot of my bucks... A lot were on the 1st hunt, some were shot because I hunted the area because of a buck observed, and I would not of been hunting there if it were not for observing... I actually think that it was summer observing that really pushed me into in-season observing, when I experienced a lot of success with summer observing, and started getting on better bucks...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”