What are the five best deer states?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

What are the five best deer states?

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:58 am

In your opinion, what are the five best deer hunting states? I don't want to know what the best states were 10 years ago, I want to know what you think the 5 best are now, in 2010. These are the states you would go to if you could. So, what do you think?

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: What are the five best deer states?

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:41 am

Kansas
Iowa
Ohio
Illinois
Wisconsin

However, some of these states require access to the spots that hold the deer... Kansas, Iowa, and Illinois, probably have the best public land opportunities of the 5 I picked. I think Nebraska is really starting to look good too, but I have never been there.
Wisconsin could be the best state of all if the deer herd was managed for a diverse age class that allowed bucks to grow to potential. The genetics in some areas of Wisconsin is incredible. Iowa on the other hand has so many mature bucks that odds are good of getting a good buck, but the average
4 or 5 year old buck scores around 150/160 where as in S.E. Wisconsin the same average 4 to year old buck would gross 180/190 but the deer rarely get to age in S.E. Wisconsin...
So really, comparing states is kind of a mute point cause it really depends on exactly what properties exactly your hunting, what area of the state, what management is going on on the property and the neighboring property, etc.
If I blindly had to just choose one state not knowing where or on what property I would end up, it would likely be Iowa cause it seems to have consistent mature bucks in most areas of the state pretty equally spread out.
bowhntrxtrme

Unread postby bowhntrxtrme » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:48 am

I agreeI did a diy public hunt in Ohio in the beginning of november and a lot off the land was over run with bird hunters.saw a lot of nice bucks on the wall at the local sporting good store all over 160"
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:00 am

Wisconsin still in the top 5?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:03 am

Spysar wrote:Wisconsin still in the top 5?

Depends on where your hunting and if you have access to private managed land... ;)
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:07 am

I also fear for Iowa. They have an awful lot of random gun seasons. An early ML, and that late antlerless season where most bucks have lost their antlers. Not to mention the party hunting.....Deer numbers are going down somewhat there.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:12 am

I wouldn't leave Missouri out of that mix... the Conservation department in that state is foward thinking with the way they are managing their public land/deer population

I would say WI is definetly top 5, even though the DNR has made a mess of our hunting season/structure

I hope to hunt IL next year
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:15 am

...And Montana, ND, Kentucky.....
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:16 am

People used to put Texas right up there....
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:20 am

Kentucky seems to be spitting out a ton of huge public land deer lately...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:23 am

It really should be broken down... States good for hunting public land, States good for buying good hunting ground, and states where purchasing guided hunts or getting access to private ground pays off...
Big difference between where the biggest bucks are, and where you can hunt the biggest bucks on public land.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:58 am

I lived in Iowa for three years. Unfortunately I am back in Wisconsin, and all I can think about is going back. A lot more opportunities to hunt quality private and public land.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:30 am

KS, West WI, SASK (if that can be counted)MO, OH and ND.

Thats whats on my radar anyway. There might be "better" areas, but these are ones I can see myself hitting in the near future.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:32 am

dan wrote:It really should be broken down... States good for hunting public land, States good for buying good hunting ground, and states where purchasing guided hunts or getting access to private ground pays off...
Big difference between where the biggest bucks are, and where you can hunt the biggest bucks on public land.

Well said, I care the same for a guided private land buck as Andrae does for a gun shot deer. I'd leave em both in the yard for the dog. :lol: Thats just my opinion and of course yours is all that matters for you. :mrgreen:

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:05 am

I'm going to start looking into Indiana in the future, but I have access to private land.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”