Over looked spots

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TNstalker

Over looked spots

Unread postby TNstalker » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:29 pm

So what makes these places good besides the absense of pressure? I have a place that a big buck was jumped at after deer season earlier this year. It's on the edge of private and public. My buddy has permission on the private. All that stands out to me at this spot is a drainage ditch that's not deep an old railroad bed an a thicket that buts up close to the drainage. There also an old house an a church thats not in use. It's close to a major highway so I think that's why no one hunts close to that spot bc of the highway. So what do y'all see in ur over looked spots besides absense of pressure an the normal things we look at cyber scout an out in the woods scouting. Trying to get some ideas before I go find where this buck is.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

oldrank

Re: Over looked spots

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:59 am

What I see on the public I hunt is most guys wanna hunt areas that are classic deer areas. The stuff you see on tv n read about in magazines. They hunt easy to see funnels, deer trails crossing the roads, field edges n so on. They also like to have long views of sight. I bypass all of that because its just gonna cause me to have hunts that are ruined by bumping into other hunters. The sign looks great but most of it is night time activity. I look for small pot holes that can provide bedding. I look for small thickets of wild blackberries or grape vine tangles. Anything different then the mature open woods. The deer are surviving by moving through cover. Sometimes it is tough to see n is easy to walk by. Ive noticed alot of fire lanes n hiking trails that get cleared frequently get a little more light to them n will have a little more ground cover on either side of the trail. A few spots I hunt the deer travel parallel to the human trail on the inside of that transition. Ive also noticed any type of classic hill style bedding point with thicker cover will usually have bedding. Stuff just off the road with substantial distance between parking seems to get over looked. Anything you have to walk a distance with no human trails gets over looked. Getting around to the backside of anything with cover works great. If its a lake n it has parking on one side but the back is marshy n has no trails leading to it, usually that will hold deer. Same with large thick cover. The furthest cover from human intrusion will hold deer. I know deer n big bucks are different but what Im finding is once you located the deer in this cover you will find the buck is using the most secure area in this cover. He will be in the bed that has the most advantages to escape danger.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:02 am

Old abandoned home spots are great overlooked places especially if it's overgrown and brushy/thick. IMHO Ol'Drank hit the nail on the head.
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:57 am

The old home place there will definitely be looked at. Always can be good spots. Just seeing what people have to say seeing if there is a common theme hear besides pressure an cover.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:18 am

No trees big enough for a stand = overlooked spot. There still needs to be some cover, but only enough to hide bedded deer. If there is 2-3' tall grass or brush or weeds, that can be plenty. Deer don't necessarily live "in the woods".
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:42 am

Old abandoned home spots are great overlooked places especially if it's overgrown and brushy/thick. IMHO Ol'Drank hit the nail on the head.
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”