summer traits

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DeerDylan
500 Club

summer traits

Unread postby DeerDylan » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:33 am

I was re-listening to Dan and Mario's podcast on summer scouting. Something Dan said about certain bucks using the same area during the summer into hunting season sparked my brain. I used to dismiss summer traits of deer, thinking " well that doesn't mean they'll be there during season" because I had heard that from someone else that most likely wasn't very successful in the woods.

I shot a buck 10/15/2013, 200 yards from where I observed him that summer. Last year I came close to getting a crack at one on 10/30 walking the same exact trail I watched him exit a bedding area in the summer while crops were short.

This is no news to a lot of you but a reminder to some newer hunters that summer scouting can be very beneficial when done correctly and having a positive mindset can never be understated.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: summer traits

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:26 am

Good point...I have seen bucks relocate quite a ways from summer to fall ranges, and telemetry studies have found that as well, but just as often the bucks stay in the same area so its always worth keeping track of where they are in the summer. I think the trap a lot of hunters fall into is hunting the summer travel route or food source without confirming a buck is still doing that, often they are on a different pattern even if in the same small area.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:37 am

That's a very good point too, Joe. The one last year I had some pics of him in the general area so I did know he was around still.
msailor

Unread postby msailor » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:34 am

I think it all depends on the property and individual deer you are hunting. Even so, I have a lot of trail camera evidence that demonstrates bucks revisit their summertime stomping grounds during the rut.

I used to say things like you did Dylan, "Well that was August, this is Oct/Nov, that deer has moved on" or "that deer disappeared, he's dead". These statements were based on no shred of evidence and were influenced by non-trustworthy outside sources. They weren't reasons, they were excuses why I couldn't connect. In actuality the bucks are just approaching things differently; what's important to a buck in July isn't as important to a buck in Oct/Nov, what's important in Oct/Nov isn't important to a buck in February...etc.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:13 am

JoeRE wrote:Good point...I have seen bucks relocate quite a ways from summer to fall ranges, and telemetry studies have found that as well, but just as often the bucks stay in the same area so its always worth keeping track of where they are in the summer. I think the trap a lot of hunters fall into is hunting the summer travel route or food source without confirming a buck is still doing that, often they are on a different pattern even if in the same small area.

How do you approach figuring out the new pattern without tipping him off via scent left from boots on the ground either scouting or checking trail cams, etc?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:22 am

I feel that these summer bedding areas can sometimes vary so much from their fall/winter due to the shift in wind direction. I'm not sure about where you are geographically but our prevailing wind from March to August is out of the SW where as our prevailing wind during the season is out of the NW.. That's a big variation in bedding locations, thermals, ect. Makes sense they would move to the ridge, field edge or whatever it may be that benefits them regardless if it varies from their Sept-January beds.

That's what I have briefly observed in my limited time implementing "beast tactics"

I could be wrong so take this with a grain of salt, but this is what I've seen and have drawn a conclusion for.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”