The 3 most influential people in your hunting career

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

The 3 most influential people in your hunting career

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:42 am

(error in title of thread)

Who are the 3 most influential people in your hunting career?

Not having any family members that were serious hunters most of my motivation and interest came initially from archery with friends. Tough to narrow down friends but a few have really influenced me and my interest in the early years. They continue to motivate me but more so I like spending time with them hunting.

A buddy Mike, one of my best friends and a hunting partner motivates me to travel and have fun, not focusing so much on the size of antlers but more so just the experience of hunting and enjoying others success. I have 2 or 3 friends that could fit in this spot. Jdub and Moon on this site actually.

Dan has to be mentioned. Hi willingness to share his experience has brought together a fine group of hunters that also share. It's a great learning place. I find it motivating to see guys like Bucky, Keb, Moon, Dan, get it done every year and fires me up to put in the work constantly. I've learned a lot of valuable info from guys on this site.

John Eberhart probably should be mentioned. He kind of wrote the bible of Michigan hunting back in the day. Although my style isn't the same as his I found him very motivating and strived to have success like John.

Wish I could say my dad unfortunately cant. I envy guys that learned from their father.

Rich M
500 Club

Re: he 3 most influential people in your hunting career

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:51 am

My dad got me interested and taught me what he knew.

A fellow named Leo taught me the finer points of duck hunting. I went from being a duck hunter to a duck killer. It was a bunch of small details - I can make 'em land where I want them to much of the time.

Dan and the Beast folks - I feel like I'm going to do a lot better than I have in the past. Thank you for that.
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:54 am

My uncle. He and my aunt took me in while I was in high school and allowed me to live with them. I was living in a southern city and in a bad situation. He got me into hunting and although he may not have taught me the right way, I will forever be in his debt for not only introducing me to the sport but for changing the outcome of my life.

My friend Steve. I was just about to sell off all of my hunting stuff and had lost interest when we became friends. He got me back into it and we've been on this new journey together of really learning to hunt. He learned the same way I did, set up a tree on a trail somewhere and hunt the heck out of it.

The people of this site (enough said). There is so much to learn from here, and the great part is that everyone has their own style, this allows me to pick and choose what tactics I want to try.
Last edited by csoult on Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:55 am

Id have to say 1st my father who introduced me to whitetails and taught me alot. 2nd id have to say my uncle ron who really influenced me more into bow hunting and third id say dan infalt. I was 365 whitetails before i discovered him and his success and tactics on youtube. But this site he built and everyone on it has made me think in a different way and has opened my mind to a new way of thinking and hunting whitetails. theres not many true big buck killers like dan who show what they know like this. So my father, uncle, and dan. It wasent long after i watched his lone wolf stand setup video near bedding i bought my first alpha and sticks and now im coming into my second season hunting beast style and cant wait. Thanks to dan and everyone on the beast i love this place.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:58 am

My dad got me started. My buddy Stacy was a trad hunter and very successful on multiple species. He taught me alot about buck behavior and reading terrain. He was and still is an all around good outdoorsman. My success went way up after I started hanging with him. Unfortunately he had an accident he is on disability. Third would have to be Dan and the beast web site.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:00 am

Fred Bear, Barry Wensel, and Myles Keller - without a doubt Barry Wensel influenced me more with the release of Bowhunting Oct Whitetails then any other single event..... but I will have to say it has been Mr. Whitetail that kept that fire burning for over 35 years and has influenced me the most..... I just love being in their presence. While I had my taxidermy biz I was very blessed to get to know quite a few great bowhunters - all of them influenced or inspired me to some degree. Paul Shaffer and Paul Brunner also heavily influenced me while I lived in MT.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:06 am

- My grandfather. He taught me how to hunt, fish, and live off the land. He was reclusive but a big buck killing machine. Awesome wall with no fancy mounts. Just skull cuts screwed to a piece of pine or oak. I can only hope I can share his knowledge of the woods and water with my children.

- My dad. He isn't a great hunter but he provided opportunity early on and continues to support me in my journey.

- This is a tough one. I could go multiple people on this site. Bucky. He has taught me how to better balance family, work, and passion for the outdoors. It was a difficult transition to being a hard charging family man. He made it a lot easier and motivates me on a regular basis. He also gave me closure and validation on some of the bucks I use to hunt in SC WI.

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:08 am

For me it is my dad and grandpa that really got my fire lit for the outdoors. It was just who we were, nothing specific, just a way of life from the time I could walk that I'm trying to establish for my two little girls. It's what we did when we had spare time, its what we talked about when we couldn't be outside, its part of our identity as a family.

Other than that I'm going with the Beast in general. It obviously all starts with Dan, but the folks on this site are second to none in my opinion. I've always tried to learn as much as I can about whitetails and how to hunt them, but the three years I have been on this site have already surpassed the previous 30. The knowledge, dedication, enthusiasm, out-of-the-box thinking, all of it is just plain inspiring.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:32 am

My dad with is stories and the enjoyment he showed amongst our gun hunting party. The exuberance whenever we spotted any deer while traveling in a vehicle. Many times stopping or even turning around to watch the deer for awhile. Lit the fire in me.

Kay our neighbor. He was part of our group. He also was the one that almost never missed a day of either bow or gun season. He was my original hunting mentor. Not my dad because he had so much more experience and time in the field. Sharing things in much more detail than my father.

M.R. James the originator of Bowhunter magazine. I was going to say the Wensels and Rothare. But because M.R. James brought these non-schooled in writing. Great hunters to write for Bowhunter mag. I got introduced to the hard core mature buck hunters so popular in the 80's. The Wensels, Rothare, Fratzke, Keller, MacGuire and more. Which changed my whole thinking on hunting deer. This is also what indirectly led me to Dan and the Beast. That thirst to continue to keep learning and striving for more knowledge started with my 1st copy of Bowhunter mag.

You said 3 but I have to include my elk hunting mentor Mike. He filled in many of the pieces that I was still fuzzy on from the books and articles I read.

Thanx all!!!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:36 am

Dad, Grandpa, Fred Bear

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
IkemanTx
500 Club

Re: The 3 most influential people in your hunting career

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:58 am

My father, my cousin, and the beast

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:04 am

1) Mine was a natural inspiration as a young boy with BB Guns & the Chase.
2) Evolved to my best friend, Dan, and our quest for the kill animals @ age 12.
3) Dan's Father, Moe, whom is like a 2nd father to me, started me on chasing upland game @ 14.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
bowkill00

Unread postby bowkill00 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:26 am

My dad, myles keller, and this site. I remember as a kid tryn to emulate that stone cold myles keller look in deer pics after I killed one.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:39 am

Without a doubt my # 1 is my father. The passion, dedication, drive (both positive and negative :lol: )

# 2 would be this site and the members that make it up.

# 3 would be a mix of many, Drurys, Realtree, Dan Fitzgerald, Peterson Bowhunting magazine, whether we would all like to admit it or not there was information that actually transferred into the woods and certain situations. Mark Drury really doesn't get enough credit to me.

vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:51 am

My Uncle is my #1. Taught me the ins and outs of deer hunting at age 12 and I have hunted with him ever since at least once a season back in Vermont. My good buddy Travis would be my second, in college he took me out turkey/grouse and woodcock hunting and I have been successful turkey hunting. My number 3 would be myself. With everything that my uncle has taught me, really it comes down to the research that I have put in myself. I tend to be a lone hunter, while I enjoy hunting with family, I prefer to hunt alone, more "predictable" that way I would say.
-Rick

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”