The Saga of "Slingshot"

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Re: The Saga of "Slingshot"

Unread postby muddy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:40 am

PredatorTC wrote:How come you cant do a full shoulder mount?

1. Not enough disposable income to justify it
2. Even though he's a true trophy, he's smaller than my smallest mounted buck

Maybe those reasons don't sit well with some of you but hey, it's the internet, we don't agree on everything. 3 kids, a mortgage, and I've already put one on the wall this fall. I told my buddy straight up my situation and he said to shoot whatever I wanted and to do whatever I wanted with it. I even offered for him to keep Slingshot because he has the history with him, he flat up refused. We're both happy to share the hunt and I think that doing a euro mount and having the sheds displayed with it will be really cool.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:36 am

Cool buck! Congrats!
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:23 am

Cool looking buck!! He's got some Muley In him with them forked G2's. Congratulation's and well done!!
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:31 am

I agree with you Mud about not having him mounted. A euro mount will look cool with the sheds and a nice picture next to it.

Me on the other hand have enough wall space for a whitetail like that, your filling your walls fast.

Another bear for me may be a different story.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:56 am

awesome buck muddy, congrats!
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:41 am

Cool pics and a great buck!
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:45 am

You the man, Muddy! 8-)
bowright

Unread postby bowright » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:05 pm

New to the forum, but thought this would be a good place to introduce myself.

I met Matt back in 2008, at the Iowa deer classics. Our personalities and humar are very similar, and we hit it off great. Ever since then, I have considered Matt a good friend of mine. We have shared the turkey blind a few times, and have had quite a few adult beverages over the years while telling stories. I invited Matt down shotgun season, as he had been hunting public ground, and in the part of Iowa I am in, there is plenty of private ground to hunt on. I took him to one of my favorite farms, which holds alot of big deer.

Slingshot (as Matt nicknamed him) started with me back in 2006. I picked up his matched set of sheds in the spring, and that fall is when I got into trail camera's. I estimated that he was a 3 1/2 year old when I found his sheds then. That fall, I got alot of pictures of him, but never saw him during daylight hours. Matter of fact, every picture I have ever gotten of this deer for the last 4 years, were between the times of 12 am and 4 am. He never was a daylight roamer, even during the rut, but he was a fighter, as around the 20th of November, he would show up in front of the camera, missing most of his rack. He never was a giant (score wise) whitetail, but he did have a tank of a body on him every year. I never laid eyes on this buck, all through the years. He even disappeared for one year (2009 season), but to my surprise, she showed back up in 2010. He was a ghost of a whitetail, which I would have been more than happy with harvesting. Matt was the lucky guy who finally had the oppurtunity at him.

I've often wondered how many times that buck has slipped by the orange army that we have here during shotgun seasons. He was a smart whitetail to survive the area he was in, and definitely a fighter. I wonder what young bucks will actually stick around now that he is gone.

Congrats again Matt on a whitetail of a lifetime!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:14 pm

Thanks Brian, it was fun and we were prepared for the all day sit for sure!

If he would've come by at dusk instead of dawn and we eaten all this sugar he would've been named "Gutrot"

huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:09 am

Now this is whathunting is all about, or should be. Sharing the great outdoors, stories and places and enjoying anothers success as it is really both parties success. A larger dimension to it. Well done Brian and Matt!!!!!! May you both have very long and successful huntig careers bot independently and as a team.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:04 pm

Bump for GRfox

And the euro

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Goober

Unread postby Goober » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:14 am

Cool mounts and a cool story, glad you bumped this, I hadn't seen it before. I love those bucks with a story to go along with them.

Muddy, I applaude you for understanding priorities. Family first. I was pretty shocked to see some of the replies here, an awful lot of people putting a deer above family? Priorities, guys. Sometime, get up in the middle of the night, sneak in and watch your kids sleep for a while, then your wife. Think about all they have given for you, and all you have given for them/ Then go look at a deer mount sleep. Still worth it? It's just a dead deer head on the wall.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:03 am

Thanks for the bump, Great story and great buck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”