Scent Control

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Scent Control

Unread postby csoult » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:09 am

I know a lot of you guys don't do anything for scent control, and we'll just have to agree to disagree there. I think the less scent the better... Anyway, I picked up this smaller ozone generator with two timers on it. I'm pretty excited about giving it a try this year, not in the stand, but for cleaning my clothes with. On my travel trips I think it's going to be great, because I don't always have access to a washing machine.

What do those of you who do practice scent control do?

https://scentlokenforcer.com/products/t ... k-enforcer

Buck snort

Re: Scent Control

Unread postby Buck snort » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:14 am

I bought an Ozonics a couple years ago, best hunting purchase I ever made. I know some don't believe in it, but I'm here to tell ya, I saw more mature bucks in the past 2 years than I have in the last 10. I also shot my buck last year, coming in from down wind, he wasn't suppose to come from that way, but he did, and he didn't even lift his nose at me.... I am convinced they work.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:46 am

I do try to remain scent free and to keep my clothes and gear that way. I take extreme care of my rubber boots (they get washed after each hunt, dried, baking soda and carbon poured inside and they are stored in a tub in back of truck. They are only used for hunting. I also wear fresh cotton jersey gloves into stand - they are cheap, easy to get scent washed off, dry overnight and add a barrier for body oil transfer to branches, twigs.

No I don't think you can fool a deer's nose 100% of the time - but I do believe you can reduce your scent footprint to a point a deer "might not" blow out of an area if it gets a small whiff..... but each deer/encounter can be different.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:57 am

Buck snort wrote:I bought an Ozonics a couple years ago, best hunting purchase I ever made. I know some don't believe in it, but I'm here to tell ya, I saw more mature bucks in the past 2 years than I have in the last 10. I also shot my buck last year, coming in from down wind, he wasn't suppose to come from that way, but he did, and he didn't even lift his nose at me.... I am convinced they work.

What time of day did you shoot your buck?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Buck snort

Unread postby Buck snort » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:26 am

jmaas07 wrote:
Buck snort wrote:I bought an Ozonics a couple years ago, best hunting purchase I ever made. I know some don't believe in it, but I'm here to tell ya, I saw more mature bucks in the past 2 years than I have in the last 10. I also shot my buck last year, coming in from down wind, he wasn't suppose to come from that way, but he did, and he didn't even lift his nose at me.... I am convinced they work.

4:00 pm. Nov 10th

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:45 am

I use scent free detergent and dryer sheets and wear knee high rubber boots (walk thru mud and puddles as possible), avoid touching or brushing against any branches/weeds/etc as possible, and play the wind. I've had enough deer come down the same trail I came in on to think I'm doing better than I was before I started doing all that stuff. Some guys I know have to touch every branch they pass and I know that isn't good for them.

Keep us updated on your ozonics results. It looks small enough and for $100 I'd try it if enough folks said it made a diff...
bowkill00

Unread postby bowkill00 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:53 am

I'd like to try one of those small ozone generators. They have to help reduce scent. I can see both ends of the scent control debate. And I agree with both. A deer will smell you no doubt even with an extreme scent control regemite. But also if a hunter can keep their scent down to a minimum it has to help. I look at it like this. If say your huntn a buck in a food plot or so and he smells were u were a couple hours after dark he don't feel as threatened bc the scent is not strong and fresh. So if I can fake him out on stand with minimal scent maybe he thinks it's a day r 2 old. Anyway,i don't use scent control suits but they have to help some if used properly. Where I hunt you can forget wind direction bc of steep mountains and hollers...wind changes constant with thermals. So I try to remain clean and scent free as possible. I envy those of you who hunt flat land and can predict wind.

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:16 am

Maybe it's just me being a worry wart... but Ozone generators concern me.

To me it seems that the same properties that allow concentrations of ozone to react with matter outside the body I would imagine give it the ability to react with the matter that makes up the body and cause harmful health consequences.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:15 am

What about the permathrin in the thermacells? I worry about that, try to set it up on the downwind side of me.

You could do the same with the ozone machine - not upwind, but downwind - reduce your exposure.

They had a good write-up in a magazine - sports afield maybe? about testing products using a police dog. Ozone made it the longest. They also just ozone treated the outfit with good results.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:20 am

Buck snort wrote:
jmaas07 wrote:

have you considered thermals may have had your scent coasting above the buck as he was coming in from down wind.

Buck snort

Unread postby Buck snort » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:30 am

jmaas07 wrote:
Buck snort wrote:
jmaas07 wrote:

have you considered thermals may have had your scent coasting above the buck as he was coming in from down wind.

Oh absolutely, but like I said, since I've used the machine the past 2 years, my mature deer sightings have went way up. I have seen a clear difference with their behavior when around me. But yes, to answer your question, my stink definitely could have been going right over him.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:41 am

The problem that I think causes more problems for deer hunters who don't kill on the first sit (which is most) is the problem of scent left by your entry and exit. I have seen on multiple occasions deer react to my ground scent from as far as 10 yards before they get to it. I take pretty much all the scent control precautions that I can, rubber boots (that are kept in a closet with an ozone generator and has carbon particles sprinkled in inside) and came that is kept in their own closet with a small ozone generator and transferred in sealed tubs that sprinkled with carbon particles...I often just keep my clothing outside hanging if it isn't raining for the weekend, I also always wear gloves, and I have been busted on entry/exit.

Is there anything that an Ozonics can do for your walks in and out? To me this would be a huge help but it's hard to see how.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:35 am

timberwolf311 wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:The problem that I think causes more problems for deer hunters who don't kill on the first sit (which is most) is the problem of scent left by your entry and exit. I have seen on multiple occasions deer react to my ground scent from as far as 10 yards before they get to it. I take pretty much all the scent control precautions that I can, rubber boots (that are kept in a closet with an ozone generator and has carbon particles sprinkled in inside) and came that is kept in their own closet with a small ozone generator and transferred in sealed tubs that sprinkled with carbon particles...I often just keep my clothing outside hanging if it isn't raining for the weekend, I also always wear gloves, and I have been busted on entry/exit.

Is there anything that an Ozonics can do for your walks in and out? To me this would be a huge help but it's hard to see how.

I have had mature bucks almost jump out of their skin when they cross my entry

To address the ground scent i plan on using a bike to get to mumy stand then covering it with brush

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”