Hunting fronts. Very interesting Wired to hunt Podcast

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Hunting fronts. Very interesting Wired to hunt Podcast

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:50 am

http://wiredtohunt.com/2016/04/21/wired-to-hunt-podcast-100-bill-winke-dr-grant-woods-and-lee-lakosky-answer-the-deer-hunting-worlds-most-debated-questions/

So I had a drive today...decided to listen to episode #100 on the wired to hunt podcast. Really thoroughly enjoyed it. 3 class acts, Bill Winke, Lee Lakosky and Dr. Grant Woods. Lots of topics of conversation from foodplots to deer management. Some of them even explain why they don't dive into their timber to hunt. Granted, some of what they are talking about does not apply as some of them are hunting the best whitetail habitat in the country. They have problems and issues that I will never have to deal with and vice versa.

That being said, my biggest takeaway from the podcast was when they were talking about moonphases and fronts. In 2015, we had a tropical storm forcasted. So pretty big wind and rain was on the horizon. 2 days prior, we saw some of the craziest mid day, daylight movement on our trail cams...craziest of the whole season in Maine. Between my buddy and myself, we had 5 or 6 mature bucks moving broad daylight, near 1pm in the afternoon. Big bucks where on their feet feeding all day long. One buck, showed up to the same apple tree, 3x in daylight, prior to that storm.

84 minutes in is when Grant was talking about it. He said that he was in SC doing some research and the guys convinced him to stay through the hurricane Hugo that was coming. He said the 1.5 before the storm, the barometer dropped really really low and the amount of mature buck movement he was unreal. All the animals sensed a storm was coming. He said the more extreme the front, the more daytime movement you will see. He said he has never seen anything like it to this day.

It was like "aahhha...no kidding. Makes sense" thats why the deer movement was so crazy before that tropical storm landed at the end of Sept. Problem was, my best spots I could not hunt. Season opened day after the storm moved through. Tropical depressions, tropical storms are not abnormal for this part of the country during Sept and Oct. I can promise you this...I will be taking time off to hunt my best spots ...and probably will be in the tree most of the day when we have another forcasted storm like that coming through.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: Hunting fronts. Very interesting Wired to hunt Podcast

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:38 am

You will need some time though...its 1:50hrs long....
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:21 am

Ill have pull that up when I am not at work. I like Grant, his show on youtube is usually very educational and entertaining.
-Rick
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:13 am

mainebowhunter wrote:http://wiredtohunt.com/2016/04/21/wired-to-hunt-podcast-100-bill-winke-dr-grant-woods-and-lee-lakosky-answer-the-deer-hunting-worlds-most-debated-questions/

So I had a drive today...decided to listen to episode #100 on the wired to hunt podcast. Really thoroughly enjoyed it. 3 class acts, Bill Winke, Lee Lakosky and Dr. Grant Woods. Lots of topics of conversation from foodplots to deer management. Some of them even explain why they don't dive into their timber to hunt. Granted, some of what they are talking about does not apply as some of them are hunting the best whitetail habitat in the country. They have problems and issues that I will never have to deal with and vice versa.

That being said, my biggest takeaway from the podcast was when they were talking about moonphases and fronts. In 2015, we had a tropical storm forcasted. So pretty big wind and rain was on the horizon. 2 days prior, we saw some of the craziest mid day, daylight movement on our trail cams...craziest of the whole season in Maine. Between my buddy and myself, we had 5 or 6 mature bucks moving broad daylight, near 1pm in the afternoon. Big bucks where on their feet feeding all day long. One buck, showed up to the same apple tree, 3x in daylight, prior to that storm.

84 minutes in is when Grant was talking about it. He said that he was in SC doing some research and the guys convinced him to stay through the hurricane Hugo that was coming. He said the 1.5 before the storm, the barometer dropped really really low and the amount of mature buck movement he was unreal. All the animals sensed a storm was coming. He said the more extreme the front, the more daytime movement you will see. He said he has never seen anything like it to this day.

It was like "aahhha...no kidding. Makes sense" thats why the deer movement was so crazy before that tropical storm landed at the end of Sept. Problem was, my best spots I could not hunt. Season opened day after the storm moved through. Tropical depressions, tropical storms are not abnormal for this part of the country during Sept and Oct. I can promise you this...I will be taking time off to hunt my best spots ...and probably will be in the tree most of the day when we have another forcasted storm like that coming through.

I agree 100% about the movement before these storms. I remember a few years back we had hurricane Floyd sitting right off our coast pounding us.it didn't make land fall here but it was a cat 5 sitting there beating up the beach. anyways,i was in high school and my dad and I still hunted with hounds. Between rain bands we headed out to feed the dogs at our friends fernery where we kept them. We probably saw 30 deer in the pastures and in the ferneries, all actively feeding. Those numbers are nothing short of remarkable for this area. Everything was on its feet.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:34 am

Its interesting as hurricanes and that sort of thing are going to be more of a coastal thing rather than an inland thing.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:36 pm

Yea, that was a pretty good episode. I like the round table discussion. Wish it had a little more variety in experience and hunting type (not just folks who use big hunting estates) but it was still nice to hear a discussion.

I have seen that movement spike you talk about only with really big low pressure systems. Deer seem to know when the storm isn't as big and they sit smaller lows out. Overall, my journal shows less movement during low pressure, but those huge lows are a different story, So yea I would agree with you...the low pressure before a hurricane or any really really big storm, great time to be in a tree! Its not just hurricanes, we sometimes get huge lows with a day or two of bad weather coming through the midwest too, not all that common in the fall though.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:39 pm

Maine - clue me in when these storms are present from Sept 15th through Dec 15th...
I will credit you with my kill! ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”