Width of a "J" hook.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Width of a "J" hook.

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:46 pm

Sounds to me like he is watching that entry. As much as it sucks, if you try an evening hunt id come in from the west or NW if you can? Otherwise I would make a wide loop. For morning I'd just get there way early and set up on his approach with that off wind. Any chance to set a Camera now and then pull it late August? I know that means going in twice but if you can do it during a rain or real windy day it might be worth it? Otherwise I would hunt it late Oct (better chance he will be out later and come back after sunrise) in the AM first. Can you observe this area with glass?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by DaveT1963 on Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:48 pm

Hopefully some other beast will share their thoughts so you get a couple perspectives. ☺

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:57 pm

Yeah I can set a cam. I was planning on setting some this weekend Ill get in there n set one. I wanted to go in one more time n get a GPS point on the bed so I know right where it is when Im hunting.

I cant glass it. Its to thick n secluded. My line of sight during green up is very limited.

I believe your right with him watching human entry. Thats why he is tucked in on the corner of both trails..on top of that its on a hill point, so he is catching wind off east running trail entrance n site sound n thermals from west entrance. Its a pretty bullet proof bed from sloppy hunter entrance. He does have a crack n thats doing as u said n looping around.

IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:42 pm

Don't discount a shorter j-hook either. The first true one I found was only maybe 25 yards downwind. The cover (and proximity to a road/parking) had a lot to do with that. I second guessed it at first, simply because the short distances. After really looking at it though, it was undeniably his j-hook.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:11 am

IkemanTx wrote:Don't discount a shorter j-hook either. The first true one I found was only maybe 25 yards downwind. The cover (and proximity to a road/parking) had a lot to do with that. I second guessed it at first, simply because the short distances. After really looking at it though, it was undeniably his j-hook.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Yep terrain and obstructions might do this - however, if I had a buck J hooking that close to his bed I would definitely lean towards his entry and try to catch him just before he got to this bedding area. My reasoning is there must be something going on for him to scent check that close and more then likely it is to his advantage (swirling winds, thermal, etc....) I seldom would set up within 60-100 yards of a specific bed for a morning hunt - unless you know the winds will remain consistent (that usually takes a stronger wind at least 10-15mph) and if you are planning on sitting all day. I like to have a good entrance and exit strategy that I feel I can slip out of if he gets to the bed and I can't sit all day.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:23 am

One other thing I want to mention with morning hunting that I kind of take for granted. I only hunt close to beds if winds will remain consistent and I ALWAYS plan on staying until 1100 as a minimum. I usually set up to where I can exit quietly (no different then being able to approach quietly in evening folks) and most of the time I drop into a creek, draw or other feature that will contain my scent in an area most deer wont be in. I put a lot of thought into approach and exit from my stands as if the action is hot I have no problem hunting it again the next day if the buck didn't show up and/or I did not booger him.

I have seen way too many bucks that temporarily bed right before or just after dawn, but they almost always get up around 9:00-10:30 and browse, drink, readjust, seek shade, seek does, etc... This probably happens for various reasons such as thermal shift, sun/shade movement (sun comes up quickly and shadows move a lot quicker in early morning) the does bed, wind shifts, temps, etc..... When I say I like Mornings just realize I am talking 1-2 hours prior to daybreak until noon in most cases.

Some stands will be burned as you cannot enter/exit where they wont pick up your presence - those are one time sits that should be rested a week or so before a second attempt.... but I am ALWAYS looking for stand sites that I won't burn by my approach and exit. The first thing I ask myself when I find the "right location/hot sign is "how likely is it that I can I get in and out without him noticing" if the answer is I can't I find another spot. It takes a little work/effort but these spots exists a lot more then we believe - always watch terrain features and funnels that allow this (creeks, lakes, steep ridges, etc.) that will allow you to be the fall ninja and surprise the heck out of him
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:29 am

Finally got to a PC, this is an updated pic based on what you have shared. My main/preferred entry would be along the thick black line. Stand is the black star. Secondary entry, if the west entry is too steep, would be along the thick red line.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”