Beaver pond bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Re: Beaver pond bucks

Unread postby rhagenw » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:37 pm

:clap: :clap:

KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:27 pm

Man, the Onyx maps for your area are awesome leaf off pics! I may have to get Onyx just for that.

I have been experimenting with hunting 3-5' off the ground. It is definitely more confusing to the deer than sitting on the ground. They are used to looking for danger at ground level... or 18' up in a tree. They do not seem to have the same ability to ID a dangerous human when he is 3' off the ground. I had a 3.5 year old buck on super heavily used land (i.e... smart buck), not be able to ID me even though he was 30 yards away and not a twig between us. This was January 3rd on a heavily used multi purpose property. I was only 2' off the ground facing the tree in a tree saddle. Unfortunately no shot.
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:06 pm

KLEMZ wrote:Man, the Onyx maps for your area are awesome leaf off pics! I may have to get Onyx just for that.

I have been experimenting with hunting 3-5' off the ground. It is definitely more confusing to the deer than sitting on the ground. They are used to looking for danger at ground level... or 18' up in a tree. They do not seem to have the same ability to ID a dangerous human when he is 3' off the ground. I had a 3.5 year old buck on super heavily used land (i.e... smart buck), not be able to ID me even though he was 30 yards away and not a twig between us. This was January 3rd on a heavily used multi purpose property. I was only 2' off the ground facing the tree in a tree saddle. Unfortunately no shot.

Them maps where from google earth. onX around me have lower quality and about 50% green and no green aerial images. Google earth is still my go to for clear aerial imagery.

I’m think about try to get a two to three step aider that you can choke around the tree and then you could get up just high enough to see over most brush. Then I don’t have to carry the long sticks in. I could back pack in a with a saddle and small saddle platform and a aider I should be able to still hunt my way in to areas and then get up just high enough to have a elevation advantage.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:39 pm

Yes, the small elevation advantage is a huge thing. See them coming and get ready before they see you. That is MUCH harder to do when you are at ground level.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:50 am

Great thread!

I noticed that beaver dams usually mean funnel. If they can’t cross on the dam, often they cross just behind it in the shallow water. One of my recent bow kills came out of bedding, behind the dam, then right to me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”