Was your Dad a deer hunter?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Was your Dad a deer hunter?

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:42 am

I started hunting n fishing with my Dad when I was 2. He was a great fishermen. He just had a knack for it n seldom came home without the most fish n the biggest fish. As a deer hunter he dabbled in it but never really got into it till later in life. I got him hooked on it after my fire got lit n he would take me out to the state land here and there. My Dad was also one of those guys that could shoot anything well. It didnt matter if it was a bb gun or his bow he was always on. He knocked down a few good 8 points the last few years he hunted n was always excited when one of us boys killed one. He taught me how to be an outdoors man. He taught me how to be a man. I miss hunting with him. He passed 3 yrs ago.

Im not sure if he was scared of the dark or just never figured we were gonna get a deer but he always wanted to leave right at prime time. My brothers n I used to joke about it when we would go out. He also never ventured far from the road. There were more than one occasion where one of us would be on deer only to hear Dads truck start n him honking the horn n yelling our names with 30 minutes of light left. Its funny to think back on it.

Id say to all the guys that still have your fathers, savor the moments man..

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by oldrank on Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edcyclopedia

Re: Was you Dad a deer hunter?

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:00 pm

Wished he was...

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:09 pm

My father introduced me to my admitted obsession, addiction, passion, which is whitetails when i was very young. He was and is a rifle hunter having only taken a handful of deer by way of bow. My father has killed well over 80 deer with rifle and i always wanted to be like him. I grew up at a northern mi deer camp of about 15 to 20 guys at any given time. Some of the best times and memories of my life are of at deer camp and hunting with friends and family. As i got older and more and more into the sport the rifle is not nearly enjoyable to me as my bow. I have become a bowhunter for sure.

Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:11 pm

My Dad quit hunting in general when his Dad died a year before I was born. My Grampa was a really accomplished archer. her started a field archery club in Jersey in the early 50's. Won a ton of state field archery championships and shot exhibition's at state fairs and stuff. he was also a pretty sick fly fisherman. My dad and he were attached at the hip as far as hunting and fishing and shooting bows but he just lost the desire I guess after he died. He pushed me into shooting a bow at a young age and we fished together allot and did a lot of shooting pistols and stuff but after the basics I was on my own. He also worked his tail off so time was an issue. He got to the point where he would rather sit in a duck blind and take pictures or whatever. he's a pretty awesome decoy carver so he never really lost his love for the outdoors and wildlife.
I shot competitive target archery from the time I was 10 until 21 and I couldn't have him watch me shoot b/c he was pretty hard on me but I understood. He built tree stands in the woods for me and stuff though. I know he was pretty stoked when I killed me first deer but I was on my own. I walked up to the house shaking in my boots and he drove the car down to the field and we threw it in the trunk of our Buick Apollo.
I wish we spent more time together like that and there were times I was pretty envious of friends or cousins that had a more traditional hunting upbringing but at least he pushed me into a positive direction and always worked hard to provide me opportunities to get to where I am now. He really likes hearing stories about my hunts to this day and always talks about stories of him and his Dad bow hunting together in the Pine Barrens. He told me a funny story last year that him and his dad were hunting in the Warton State Forest and my Grampa shot a buck and it jumped the string and it ran off and they found no blood or arrow so they gave it some time and after 6 hours of gridding they found the deer stone dead with not a mark on it. They started to field dress the deer and realized that when the deer jumped the string the arrow went straight up its poop shoot and lodged in his brisket. :lol:
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:16 pm

Mine has a license and a favorite stand. That's about it

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Kraftd
500 Club

Re: Was your Dad a deer hunter?

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:32 pm

Mine was and is. Definitely appreciate the time, especially seeing my grandfather work his way from hunting to the sidelines to passing away over the last ten years. His last deer was a pig of an 8 pointer at 80 years of age a few years back. My dad was always pretty serious, but never in the way most of us are, but certainly has taught me plenty.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:38 pm

My dad is a deer hunter. Generations of hunters on my mom and dads side. Mostly rifle hunting. My dad introduced me to deer hunting. Probably wouldn't have the passion if he did'nt. My dad has some very old Michigan hunting licenses from his family. Back in the day bear and deer were the same tag.

Last edited by Hawthorne on Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:46 pm

Nope, as far as i know I'm first in family... neither of my brother's hunt

Ruger

Unread postby Ruger » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:57 pm

Nope

Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:01 pm

My dad passed away in April of 2014. He is buried within 200 yards of where he shot his last buck which was an 8 point. I recall many days of hunting with him while I was old enough to carry a BB gun until his last few hunts. Times that will not be forgotten.
Enjoy your dads if they are still around.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
9pt
500 Club

Unread postby 9pt » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:06 pm

My dad grew up hunting and fishing but when his career took him to another state away from family, he stopped hunting for the most part. He kept up his passion for fishing which I think he saw as easier to do without family.

I did learn to shoot guns with him and did some limited small game hunting. He took me clay pigeon shooting a time or two and took me to hunter safety class.

It was frustrating going to see my uncles and cousins at Christmas because they were all busy sharing their deer hunting stories to which I had none.

I always wanted to hunt and found fishing to be slow and boring. I got into hunting when I married into a family that rifle hunted. I finally could pursue the deer that I had always desired to pursue.

Over the past three years I took up archery hunting and hunting public land on my own. I stopped relying on others for places and company to hunt. My dad had expressed his desire to take up hunting again and this past fall I put together my first ever deer hunt with my dad and my brother. My dad shot a doe which I found out was his first deer ever. I gutted it and my brother dragged it out.

I'm looking forward to hunting with my dad and brother with the remaining years my dad had left. I am thankful to a God that my brother and I could be the means by which my dad got back to hunting again.

csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:21 pm

Unfortunately no.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:41 pm

Only slight changes from the OP.

I started hunting n fishing with my Dad when I was in diapers. He was a great fishermen. He just had a knack for it n seldom came home without the most fish n the biggest fish.

As a deer hunter he dabbled in it but never really got it.

My Dad was also one of those guys that could shoot anything well (keep it inside a 3-inch sticky note at 300+ yards rifle and hit a nickel at 40 yards archery when he shot). He knocked down a few and was always excited when I killed one.

My dad prefers things with feathers - grouse, pheasant, quail, ducks, geese to deer but he will shoot a deer every now and again. We hunt a lot and fish some. Used to fish all the time and hunt some. Funny how things change ever so slightly.

He taught me what I know about being an outdoorsman. I enjoy spending time with him. Lord willing, we will be able to share some more hunts this season.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:06 pm

Yes he is. He was heavy into bow hunting deer once I started getting to hunting age. I remember him taking me to hang/move stands. I wasn't a very good student in school but he saw how interested I was in deer hunting and really supported my journey as a hunter.

He just turned 60 and doesn't have the drive he used to but has been going out more the last few seasons. Last year he shot by far his biggest Buck ever and a few days after he said " I wish you would have got him" I called him crazy haha but that's how he is. A great man and father.

I'm lucky and try to keep that in mind while he's still around.

vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:12 pm

He gun hunted but I can't remember him ever shooting s deer. My brother got me into hunting.

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”