Military tactics vs deer hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

9pt
500 Club

Military tactics vs deer hunting

Unread postby 9pt » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:30 am

Last weekend while driving around the Midwest and Canada, I noticed that the various forts that were set up around the Great Lakes are at pinch points on the Great Lakes.

Fort Pitt is at a point of two rivers merging.
Fort Erie is in the river between Erie and Ontario
Fort Meigs is on the Maumee river near where it empties into Erie

I had never thought before that about the similarities in military tactics (of which I am not well studied) and Deer hunting. Trying to cover the Great Lakes region in wars in the 1800's could be compared to trying to cover the hills and marshes of our favorite large public land spots. Finding pinch points and secluded travel spots and trying to get in undetected to launch an attack seems similar to armies trying to outflank each other.

I'm wondering how helpful it could be to further study of military tactics/history. What do you all think?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Military tactics vs deer hunting

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:58 am

Im no expert in military tactics but yes its very similar. Although big bucks in a pressured environment will avoid terrain funnels because alot of guys hunt them. The battle of 300 was in a terrain funnel between water and a cliff.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Abishai

Unread postby Abishai » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:22 am

Some tactics, but very much the use of terrain and topography are similar whether hunting deer or man. Both like the paths of least resistance, will go out of their way to not be seen, and can be patterned.

You'd be surprised at how much an advantage I have over kids from the city when it comes to understanding terrain, general movements in the outdoors, scanning surrounding areas, and thinking like prey just from growing up in the woods here in the Army.
“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:04 am

I find there can be definitive correlations. As abishai said there is a similarity between hunting man or deer. Gain that upper ground advantage (tree stands) and find the pinch points.
-Rick

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”