Of hunting beasts and chest waders.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Of hunting beasts and chest waders.

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:40 am

So this past season I swear I had a few close calls with hypothermia later in the season crossing some swamp muck. It wasn't fun to strip down and wade across and then get dressed again. Although the reward was getting away from other hunters I got tired of shivering through sits. I picked up some waders from a neighbor who used to hunt like many here do until he got older. They are in great shape and he wouldn't sell me junk or leaky waders, and he just so happens to be my size. What do those of you who hunt back in the muck do with em? Wear them all the way out to your spot? Carry em and wear them when needed? Strap em to the stand? What about when you get to the stand? Leave them a few 100 yards away? Leave em at the base of the tree? Any experience is appreciated!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

hunter_mike

Re: Of hunting beasts and chest waders.

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:00 am

I have strapped them to my stand a few times and used them for crossing only. I leave them sitting at the creek during the hunt and then cross again when I come back. Worked pretty good, just took extra time to do.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:12 am

I have light weight Cabelas breathable waders and wear 'em duck hunting ALL the time - they would be best used for getting to where you don't need them anymore and changing out into hunting clothes.

Used to use the old rubber style ones for trout fishing, duck hunting, surf fishing and they work okay but not for walking any distance.

It is like wearing a garbage bag - they really don't breath and make you sweat, noisy, heavy,... Then there is the possibility of punching a stick thru your $100+ waders...
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:21 am

I dress light, use the heater body suit and drape the waders over my shoulders. I'll leave the waders by the crossing and get on my way. The hbs would be a good option for the strip down method too. That I have not done

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:03 am

I'm hunting in water and muck most of the time and can't say I have ever needed chest waders. Neoprene hip boots have served me well and I roll them down to my knees on stand if it's warm or keep them up for extra warmth on cold days. I own chest waders that I bought 5 years ago but never had to actually use them yet. One thing for sure I sure the heck wouldn't want to be wearing them walking in and they would be a pain to carry. Been spoiled the last 5 years with lower water levels in marshes but this year is shaping up to be much wetter as levels have been steadily rising the last few years.

TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:51 pm

I'm a big duck hunter an if ur walking a long way in them dress light take a change of clothes to get out of what u where dressed in while walking in the waders if u don't wanna carry them. Because u will sweat a lot. I've been soaked just walking a hundred yards to a blind before carrying my gear. The walk was tough but I was wet. Lucky duck blinds have heaters lol.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:59 pm

Depends on what material they are, the weather, comfort level of the particular wader and how much of the walk is wading and how much is on dry land.

It will take you a couple trips to figure out how [glow=red]you[/glow] will like to go about it.

Personally I very rarely change out of them. But I always like to change out of them if I am using a climber.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:19 pm

I got chest waders last year, did a hang and hunt set and never again. They're just too dangerous to try to hang a set or even maneuver up sticks. They now get packed in and either left at the waters edge or base of tree.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:05 pm

I've never used chest waders, just hip boots, although I've had a few hunts where I should have been using chest waders.

Depending on the hike II'll either cross the water and take them off or wear them to the tree and then remove them. I've never worn waders while on stand.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:47 pm

I often use small rivers and creeks to access spots. I have waded chest deep for up to 1/2 mile while doing so. I use the lightweight waders most of the time. Carry them until i get to the creek and then put them on over my clothes. When it gets cold I switch to the neopreme. If I'm just crossing I usually strip down, cross, and then get dressed on the other side.

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:54 am

When I use waders, I wear the waders and my base layer and pack the rest of my clothes on my stand. Once I cross the area I needed the waders for, I stash them. Bring an extra pair of socks. I usually get sweaty feet because the waders don't breathe. Also roll up the top of your waders when you stash them so you don't put your foot in with a critter.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:02 am

Walking in waders any distance isn't fun, I will carry them or strap them to the stand until I have to cross. Then I leave them at the crossing or sometimes wear them on stand depending on the distance after I cross.
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:54 pm

Cheeze is right, wear them in, change and leave near creek etc. I have worn my ultrawarm neoprenes on some cold hunts.
If using waders, I'm in long johns and drop socks, I change at creek bank etc and leave my invariably sweaty socks with waders.

I have a couple spots where the water crossing is only 4-6 feet wide but the end is almost bottomless silt. Wader time.

It is refreshing and strange to find so many like minded folks....I have been the crazy one for 20 years now..lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”