Food plot help post

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Food plot help post

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:34 am

Winter rye will grow anywhere. Plant it late summer early fall depending where you are at. Clover is easy to grow also. You probably have to still do weed control. Lots of weeds usually pop up after a burn. Might compete with your seeds. Wait for the first green to come up and nuke it with round up. I buy the concentrated mix and use 4 oz per gallon of water. 4 gallon backpack sprayers work well. After you get a good kill on your weeds, rake up the soil and broadcast your seed and fertilizer before a rain.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:52 am

I thought about doing rye only problem is k dont want to chance bugering my local target bucks by going in right before season. Have you seen negative effects feom this hawthorne?

Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:15 pm

I'm sure you guys know this but make sure you use beefbuilder or another strain of grain rye. Not the stuff at Lowe's. It's bitter to the taste. I've seen pastures not touched by cattle or deer.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Rye you want to plant late because if it gets to high the deer wont touch it and you dont want it to be to high before frost days start .They love it when its 3-6 inches high and can take heavy grazing pressure. I've got thousands of pictures of deer eating it. You want annual or winter rye. Not rye grass perennial. I don't worry about bucks when I plant. The deer are use to me working all year around on my farm. I've planted rye has late has Sept 25 before in southern mi but no earlier than labor day. I do a layering system were I have two different heights of rye. One I plant in early September and one late September. Ill plant Oates and radishes in the same plot early mid August. Then do the two layerings of rye in September.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”