Food plots anyone?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buck snort

Food plots anyone?

Unread postby Buck snort » Tue May 31, 2016 1:40 am

Pretty happy with my first food plot ever. It's just a little quarter acre plot, planted with "Crush". This rain in the past week really helped it alot.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Re: Food plots anyone?

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Tue May 31, 2016 1:49 am

Thats awsome.... i always told myself i was gonna try evolved harvests throw and grow but never did yet. Have the perfect spot for it though i wonder if its to late to put it in?

Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Tue May 31, 2016 2:20 am

This will be my fifth year doing food plots. I've tried evolve harvest was not impressed with it, my local ag centers own blends grow better in my type of soil and the knew about how much lime and fertalzer I needed for the area and size of the plot that I've been planting, this year I tried frost planting about an acere of clover mix, I've never planted cover and this plot is also 4-5 miles away from an ag fields.
I will be hopefully trying frigid forage big and beastly blend this year been wanting to try it for a few years just couldn't bite the bullet on the price of it.
I have also done alfalfa very had to establish but when you do get it, the deer pound it hard. Also I've had better success planting in fall then in spring.
Winter wheat planted In mid September last year was a huge draw all fall and winter. Will be planting again.
Turnips and rape blend are good and easy.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Iabow

Unread postby Iabow » Tue May 31, 2016 4:02 am

Good looking plot Buck Snort, keep us posted how it fairs this fall.

Bayshore I have been reading a lot and will be making my first plots this year so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Many guys will plant plots Aug-Sep depending on the seed. Rye Grain, Oats, Winter Wheat can all be planted pretty late in the growing season. Planting Clover with a cover crop of Rye grain and Oats seems to be popular in small plots. So you got time.

Don't forget Slayer seed here, he is a forum sponsor.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue May 31, 2016 6:07 am

Bayshorebuck8 wrote:Thats awsome.... i always told myself i was gonna try evolved harvests throw and grow but never did yet. Have the perfect spot for it though i wonder if its to late to put it in?

Not to late. Get in there now and spray round up with a 4 gallon back pack sprayer to kill the weeds. Go back in early to mid August before a heavy rain and broadcast your seed. Fertilize the same day. If you can scuff up the soul with a rake or disc before you broadcast all the better. Wired to hunt has a good podcast with Dr Harper about food plots and habitat

Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Tue May 31, 2016 8:36 am

Waiting for a response from slayer seed im going to try crimson trail no till.

Buck snort

Unread postby Buck snort » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:01 am

Food plot is coming along nicely. All the rain sure has helped.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:47 pm

Hawthorne wrote:
Bayshorebuck8 wrote:Thats awsome.... i always told myself i was gonna try evolved harvests throw and grow but never did yet. Have the perfect spot for it though i wonder if its to late to put it in?

Not to late. Get in there now and spray round up with a 4 gallon back pack sprayer to kill the weeds. Go back in early to mid August before a heavy rain and broadcast your seed. Fertilize the same day. If you can scuff up the soul with a rake or disc before you broadcast all the better. Wired to hunt has a good podcast with Dr Harper about food plots and habitat

If you have a 4 wheeler, and any kind of fencing, put some heavy boards or bricks on the ends of, this will help to scarify the ground...obviously if u have a disc or tiller all the better.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:27 am

What height do you let your plantings grow before hit them with a mower? Thanks.
Buck snort

Unread postby Buck snort » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:47 am

exojam wrote:What height do you let your plantings grow before hit them with a mower? Thanks.

Are you asking me? If so, this is my first year doing a food plot, so I'm not real familiar with when to cut, but some of my friends that do it, said I should probably cut fairly soon, and then again about the second week of August, which hopefully will have the deer eating it again by the first weekend of archery season here in WI, which I believe is Sept 17th this year.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:02 am

Buck snort wrote:
exojam wrote:What height do you let your plantings grow before hit them with a mower? Thanks.

Are you asking me? If so, this is my first year doing a food plot, so I'm not real familiar with when to cut, but some of my friends that do it, said I should probably cut fairly soon, and then again about the second week of August, which hopefully will have the deer eating it again by the first weekend of archery season here in WI, which I believe is Sept 17th this year.

Are talking to me, ARE YOU TALKING TO ME? Just a little DeNiro fun :lol:

Yes, that question was for you. Did they say what height it should be cut at (approximately)? If not, can you ask them and drop it in this thread? Thanks.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:11 pm

We don't have a set height, more when we have time to get out there. We judge more by looks than anything else but with our clover I say when it gets over 8" its time to cut it down. Make sure to put about a 14 inch mesh cage somewhere on the plot. It helps to see how much the deer are using it. If the food plot is down to 4" and the browse in the cage is at 8" you know they have been really hammering it.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:12 am

Bigb wrote:We don't have a set height, more when we have time to get out there. We judge more by looks than anything else but with our clover I say when it gets over 8" its time to cut it down. Make sure to put about a 14 inch mesh cage somewhere on the plot. It helps to see how much the deer are using it. If the food plot is down to 4" and the browse in the cage is at 8" you know they have been really hammering it.

Bigb,

What type of machine are you using to cut that high? Thanks.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:24 am

Plots looking good! A tip as well is to hit it with some Nitrogen before you plan on hunting it (if you or someone else is) between the new growth and nitrogen that should really pull the deer in. Don't ask me how but the deer seem to know what plants are higher in nutrients and they love new growth because it's tender and higher in nutrients...

Good luck with it and keep us posted!
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:39 pm

We cut it right now with a old riding lawn mower that has been modified a little bit. We are looking into getting a pull behind mower this year because the terrain is too tough for the mower. Were looking and a 44" rough cut mover right now and possibly a DR mower. My buddy is the main one that mows so its his choice. Its quite the investment but we really need it to cut food plots and paths.

I've never used it before but maybe one of those cheap spinning hand pushed (the non power ones) might work to cut it. Again, I've never used it but might be worth a shot.

Not sure where your at but keep posting pics. If I'm down by where we hunt in the next few weeks, I'll take a few pics. I know our plots need to be sprayed so hopefully they aren't too loaded with weeds.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”