Electric bikes

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

deerhunterdon

Electric bikes

Unread postby deerhunterdon » Mon May 30, 2016 4:55 am

Has anyone tried one of the electric bikes ? some are for off road use. I seen they have a 50 mile capacity, Im sure thats not off road. Im just guessing. If it had a twenty mile capacity off road that would get me out about four days. I saw some that had a removable battery when it was low you could snap another in.

Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Re: Electric bikes

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Mon May 30, 2016 6:21 am

I have been researching these and I think they have some applications where I hunt public land. There is some question if they are legal on all public lands in some states. The price is a real deal breaker for many people, at $3000. The pedal models of the fat tire bikes made for hunting is about half that. I like the idea of having a small trailer like the Rambo bike has and they also feature racks and bags that could be really useful.

I am not sure if they will alarm deer if you hide them near your stand. I really think the jury is still out on them, but who knows, they might be the next big thing. I think they will find a niche and be a good tool for some situations, if I can get past the price tag, which is the biggest hurdle for me right now.
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Mon May 30, 2016 7:45 am

A bike with a trailer attachment can be a real game changer on public if done right.
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Tue May 31, 2016 7:06 am

I have one, I assembled it from a kit. Works great on flat ground but I am still messing with it, trying to get it to be a steep hill climber. There are some kits out there that are pretty easy. A complete kit on a cheap fat bike could be done under $1500.

The mid drive type have the most power, mine makes some noise but way less than an atv. If you are on pretty flat ground you could do a hub motor that is supposed to be very quiet (like what quiet kat has) and still pretty cheap (if you buy a kit vs commercial product)

My understanding is that federally 750w and under is considered the same as a regular bike, MN allows up to 1000w which is nice. Meaning anywhere a regular bike is allowed, these bikes are allowed.

I get stuff from Lunacycle.com and sickbikeparts.com
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:08 am

Would you mind posting some pics? I'm just curious to see what your set up looks like. Thanks.

Mike wrote:I have one, I assembled it from a kit. Works great on flat ground but I am still messing with it, trying to get it to be a steep hill climber. There are some kits out there that are pretty easy. A complete kit on a cheap fat bike could be done under $1500.

The mid drive type have the most power, mine makes some noise but way less than an atv. If you are on pretty flat ground you could do a hub motor that is supposed to be very quiet (like what quiet kat has) and still pretty cheap (if you buy a kit vs commercial product)

My understanding is that federally 750w and under is considered the same as a regular bike, MN allows up to 1000w which is nice. Meaning anywhere a regular bike is allowed, these bikes are allowed.

I get stuff from Lunacycle.com and sickbikeparts.com
deerhunterdon

Unread postby deerhunterdon » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:59 pm

mike , thanks for responding. Im mostly on flat ground but bigger chunks of rocks and mud , like the edge of a crop field. How many miles can you get ? I hope this tech catches on. Solar charging would be great .
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:15 pm

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:20 pm

I think I can go 10+ miles but really I only need to get to my stand and back at this point, I have a 10 amp hour battery pack btw.

All those wires coming outta the controller wil be trimmed once I get it working on my hills.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:13 pm

That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.
deerhunterdon

Unread postby deerhunterdon » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:06 pm

cool Bike ! 10 plus miles would be great ! thanks for posting pics ! three wheel bike with a basket woulds be my ticket ! No atvs where I hunt, bikes ok .

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”