What makes a BIG Buck state?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

What makes a BIG Buck state?

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Fri May 27, 2016 12:44 pm

I would like to hear what everyone has to say about what makes a big buck state? Where you live and why you think your state is capable of producing good quantities of big bucks or not. Every state has had there giants however few and far between they may be, Some say soil some say seasons and bag limits, food crop? Maybe a combination? Lets hear what you have to say about your home state!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: What makes a BIG Buck state?

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri May 27, 2016 1:27 pm

it has to be bordered by the Mississippi River to the east, the Missouri River to the west, the state of Minnesota to the north and the state of Missouri to the south. ;)

In other words, moderate to low hunting pressure, good combination of ag land and cover, and no gun season during the rut. All three are important.
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Fri May 27, 2016 1:28 pm

I believe it takes a number of factors to make a state, a "big buck state". Probably almost like a formula. For me, the biggest factor is having a good DNR with a well structured plan for the deer heard. They can not be managing the heard based of the dollar. Second, would be the bag limits. I am a big fan of the one buck states. I truly believe that plays a bigger factor than what most people realize. Third, would be when the firearm season dates fall. After these three things, thats when the food and habitat falls in for me. Probably not really explained well, just my thoughts.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Fri May 27, 2016 1:32 pm

Some times I wonder how much food really has to do with it. I have lived in New York for 29 years. About half the state is agriculture and we don't grow really big bucks. Western NY produces a lot but 2 hours north of the city in pure farmland, and 2.5 year Olds grow 40" 8 point racks.

purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Fri May 27, 2016 1:45 pm

I think the biggest factor is having gun season outside the peak of the rut. Most states that consistently put out high numbers of big bucks don't have guns allowed in early to mid November.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri May 27, 2016 1:57 pm

Others have mentioned one of them, which I think is the most important. Gun hunting during the rut. Seems like that is a pretty common thread among the "big buck" states. Imagine what Missouri could be like...or Nebraska could be like? Cross the border, you have Iowa and KS. And add to that, limited amount of tags in both of those states.

I know my state, the winter with poor food is the killer. Deer just struggle to make it on a hard winter. 2008-2009 about wiped the deer herd out in this state. Add coyotes to the mix, along with a 4 week rifle season starting Nov 1 and then 2 more weeks of muzzy...deer herd takes it on the chin. Just tough for them to survive.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri May 27, 2016 1:58 pm

Limited non-resident tags

No gun season during rut

Sanctuaries or rough terrain for bucks to escape hunting pressure

Plentiful agricultural crops

Relatively mild winters

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri May 27, 2016 2:04 pm

Minerals+age makes the horns. Food makes the populations IMO. Most of the big bucks here come from the big Limerock ridge. Similar browse m, different minerals.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri May 27, 2016 2:19 pm

Food in abundance, along with minerals in soil, let's then grow body size and still have enough to feed antler growth to max potential.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri May 27, 2016 2:42 pm

My vote is a gun season out of rut and not long in days. Mild winters are big also along with a one buck rule. Deer that aren't winter stressed go into the growing season in great shape to grow big racks. Most of the of the mild winter areas have plentiful agriculture and are still far enough north to grow big bodies. Ohio, Indiana, southern mi, Iowa Illinois, Wisconsin and a few others fit the mold

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri May 27, 2016 3:14 pm

To me there are two factors:

#1) The DNR, GFP, or whatever your governing body titles itself is the biggest factor IMHO. The way they regulate is crucial. For example, if Iowa and Kansas had over the counter tags for residents and non residents like some states (eh hem... MN) and gun seasons during the rut, they wouldn't have NEAR the quality that they do.

#2) HABITAT. Even if your governing body sucks at managing the herd, quality habitat will still grow a few big deer.

Honestly its as simple as that ;)
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri May 27, 2016 10:21 pm

Not Granite...

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri May 27, 2016 11:13 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:Not Granite...

That's true Ed. I would add #4 to my list - look for limestone. Other types of bed rock tend to correlate with poorer soils, and therefore nutrition. That gives you the potential, have to have the other three for good age structure in a herd. Its no secret soils maps line up pretty well with maps of P&Y and B&C deer harvested.

Iowa harvests about 25% of its estimated deer herd every year...if some higher pressure states want to mimic that, they would have to have quotas on RESIDENTS, forget about non-residents.
Last edited by JoeRE on Fri May 27, 2016 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
msailor

Unread postby msailor » Fri May 27, 2016 11:21 pm

I can think of several states that are known as big buck states that have a rifle season during the rut; and I'm not gonna name them so people stay out :shhh: .

In order 1) soils/agriculture, 2) having few people and/or rural areas where age structure can be established and 3) maybe conservative harvest regs depending on the number of hunters.

Oh yeah, and you got to have habitat...there's a reason no one travels to southwest MN to hunt.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri May 27, 2016 11:34 pm

msailor wrote:I can think of several states that are known as big buck states that have a rifle season during the rut; and I'm not gonna name them so people stay out :shhh: .

In order 1) soils/agriculture, 2) having few people and/or rural areas where age structure can be established and 3) maybe conservative harvest regs depending on the number of hunters.

Oh yeah, and you got to have habitat...there's a reason no one travels to southwest MN to hunt.

I don't think anyone disagree that there are big buck states with rifle season during the rut...just imagine what they would be like WITHOUT rifle season during the rut. I just think about states side by side...pretty much the same terrain, same habitat but one state is hands down better than the other. I just think about NE and MO. Here in New England, Massachusetts produces some of the biggest archery bucks in all of New England -- no gun hunting until after the rut.

But if your not a bowhunter, I am guessing, you would want a state that allows a rifle rut hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”