Bug Spray?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Bug Spray?

Unread postby <DK> » Fri May 27, 2016 10:25 am

Dewey - THANKS MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! awesome post, I will definitely try the scent blocker w deet.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri May 27, 2016 11:07 am

Darkknight54 wrote:Dewey - THANKS MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! awesome post, I will definitely try the scent blocker w deet.

The stuff I posted is no longer available.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:03 am

I will no longer be relying on OFF or any other DEET product... Went out last weekend in long pants and long sleeves, sprayed from the sole of my boots to the top of my head and still ended up COVERED in chiggers. And, I picked 6 or 8 ticks off of me. I have chiggers literally up to my armpits. I think I will use permethrin from now on. because I have had to take 2 Benedryl every 4 hours for the last 3 days to stop the itching.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:30 am

Ahh. The glorious combo of skeeters and chiggers.
Once the swatting and itching dies down,here comes the burn of invisible devil's.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
woody-san

Unread postby woody-san » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:49 am

woody-san wrote:I'm in Brazil for work and before my trip I purchased Sawyer's Premium Insect Repellent w/ 20% Picadarin due to Zika concerns.

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-S ... +picaridin

Pros:

-Far less aromatic than Deet products, in fact I struggle to detect any smell (not that the deer wouldn't)
-Comes in a lotion which I like better for application than a spray
-Isn't too greasy or unpleasant on the skin

Cons:

-To be honest, it hasn't been real buggy down here, so I don't think I can say from my own personal experience that it works. The reviews are good and it's highly rated on consumer reports.

I'll wear it afield a few times this summer and report back, but this may be a winner

I wanted to follow up on the Sawyer insect repellent. This stuff seems to work really well. Over the last 2 weeks I've scouted twice for a total of 5.5 hours in the woods. Each time I applied this stuff and I seemed to have way less bugs around me then in the past when I've used 100% Deet. My girlfriend attended one of these scouts with me and reported similar results. We are both pleased with the product and will continue to use it. I did find two ticks on me after my latest scout but they were crawling on my shirt not embedded. I don' t chalk this up to the repellent not working, I think the ticks were acquired by me brushing up on vegetation.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:55 am

I use OFF- DEEP WOODS SPORTSMEN, works for me anyway. It's DEET, NO FRAGRANCE FORMULA, has a quiet pump top and its small so it fits nicely in a pocket. We all know there's no such thing as no fragrance formula and that DEET is bad for you. About 4 and a half bucks at your local superstore. If chiggers and ticks are a problem I'd definitely follow the advice above!

Also, I spray it in my hands, rub my hands together and then use my hands to apply it where needed. I don't just spray it all over... My preference as I use less spray and if I have to use it on stand it is quieter that way with controlled movement as well.

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:45 am

Dewey wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:Dewey - THANKS MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! awesome post, I will definitely try the scent blocker w deet.

The stuff I posted is no longer available.

Broke my heart on that one...

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:49 am

Here is the new stuff http://www.robinsonoutdoors.com/scentbl ... uitoes.php

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:22 am

Darkknight54 wrote:Here is the new stuff http://www.robinsonoutdoors.com/scentbl ... uitoes.php

Cool. I'll have to check it out.

rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:04 am

IkemanTx wrote:I will no longer be relying on OFF or any other DEET product... Went out last weekend in long pants and long sleeves, sprayed from the sole of my boots to the top of my head and still ended up COVERED in chiggers. And, I picked 6 or 8 ticks off of me. I have chiggers literally up to my armpits. I think I will use permethrin from now on. because I have had to take 2 Benedryl every 4 hours for the last 3 days to stop the itching.

I itch just looking at that pic...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”