Physically Preparing for a Hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Twenty Up
500 Club

Physically Preparing for a Hunt

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon May 23, 2016 3:43 pm

Posted this on Archery Talk but it seems that none of the guys there understood what I was getting at.. So I'll give it a try here.

I'm looking to add a couple lifts or different exercises to my regular routine to better prepare myself for this upcoming season. If anyone has found an exercise that really stood out during dragging deer, ect.. feel free to share or your routine. Just looking to change things up a bit.

*Disclaimer* I'm not stating that working out is essential to kill a deer.. But hunting primarily public land and dragging deer 1+ miles out of the woods, swamps ect I would rather be in the best shape possible. I might look into a deer cart but regardless I'm going to exercise because I enjoy it regardless if it's pertained to hunting or not.

Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Re: Physically Preparing for a Hunt

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Mon May 23, 2016 4:10 pm

Treadmill incline, military presses and squats really helped me to prepare for last season. I was climbing quicker and quieter and also had alot more stamina in the field in general. I also did bench presses, dumbbell work and deadlifts 3 times a week all summer last summer as well. Felt great

[ Post made via Android ] Image
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon May 23, 2016 4:24 pm

X2 for the treadmill incline.
And also using a weighted backpack. An elk hunter mentioned he will mow grass all summer with his pack on,dedicated.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 23, 2016 5:22 pm

Riding bike, incline treadmill, and some weight training on my Bowflex to keep my upper body especially my arms and shoulders in decent shape. Sure helps climbing trees and dragging. Many of us have strong legs from scouting all year but neglect our upper body. I'm guilty of that some years and always regret it later. Hunting is so much easier if your in decent shape. Once I hit 45 years old I am finding it's more important every year as muscle mass gets so much harder to maintain.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon May 23, 2016 10:19 pm

All the killer lifts I do tabata rounds that involve cleans, squats, deadlifts, pull-ups burpee etc. seems to help quite a bit

Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Mon May 23, 2016 10:53 pm

I try to do all the big lifts. I will mix in some lighter weight and do sets of 20-25. I also do the farmers walk and walking lunges. You might check those two out if you haven't already.

JackKnifeJake

Unread postby JackKnifeJake » Mon May 23, 2016 10:56 pm

body weight pull ups and dips, add weight when you can hit 8 reps
for the weight you can use your stand and sticks :lol:
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Tue May 24, 2016 12:26 am

Specificity of training is the most important aspect of a program. What that means is training by doing what you plan to use the exercise for. Any general weight training is great for your muscular strength and any cardiovascular exercise is great for your heart, but as far as dragging a deer through the woods, its still going to be hard.

I great program would be dragging a weighted sled using the system you use to drag your deer. That will get you closest to your real life situation as you can get and therefor be the most effective.
bones09

Unread postby bones09 » Tue May 24, 2016 1:09 am

I think weighted sled pulls would be great for what your looking for. Try them both forward and reverse.

I have a friend that use to guide elk hunts, now just goes west every year to chase them. Anyway, he ran a 5k last summer with his elk pack + 30lbs in it.. That's a pretty extreme example of sport specific training but he trains in the bluff country of west wi and the mountains don't phase him abit.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Tue May 24, 2016 1:41 am

Look up some of the train to hunt stuff, lot of elk guys doing this out west. I think it came from the cross fit guys. Some good info on elk101.com and thegrittybowmen.com as well.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue May 24, 2016 1:58 am

get a prowler sled - drag it and push it....

For weights: deadlifts, lunges, single leg lunges, walking lunges, etc... any of the big full body movements will help - if you want to test your cardio do a set of 20 squat after your normal squats. Cut the weight by 50% and do 20 continuous controlled squats - we called these widow makers and it will test your cardio as will heavy deadlifts.
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Tue May 24, 2016 3:02 am

For those over 40, heck, any age really, the number one thing I would recomend would be yoga...3 times a week..In terms of benefits it is un matched..strength, flexibility, endurance..All pertain to hunting. Climbing, shooting, scouting, dragging, you name it..

For those with bionic parts, I have had an ACL repair one one knee, and a total of 4 miniscus scopes over the years...Yoga, far and away has allowed me to continue to fight the aging process..Flexibility, in my book is the number one thing to maintain as we climb the age ladder...just my 2 cents...YOGA!

Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Tue May 24, 2016 3:19 am

Core core core core core...In addition to yoga I do mix in some weight training and cardio..Time is a huge factor for many folks..I try to carry the equivalent weight to my hunting pack, or more, whenever scouting..I push mow over an acre with a weighted pack instead of using the rider...things like that..Havent seen yoga mentioned much in any health related threads on here..I believe most guys on here are pretty open minded, for any who may think yoga is not a manly pursuit, give it a go..You shall be humbled....:)

I discovered it while doing the P90x X2 and X3 workouts..I still do, just have mixed it up by increasing the amount of yoga and decreasing the amount of weight training...

Regards, Chad

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Tue May 24, 2016 3:34 am

I'm done dragging unless it is close to the parking lot or easy out by boat access. Quartering is the way to do it with the right packs and meat bags. I'm just getting into the packing out, so I'll be doing a lot of research for the upcoming season.

As far as being in better shape for public land hunting, the best one for me that drastically helped with my endurance was tractor pushes. Turn the treadmill on and switch to 0 speed. Sprint for 10 sec, walk for 30 sec, repeat. Also will incorporate sprinting up hills this year, with and without packs.

tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Tue May 24, 2016 3:38 am

I use a jet sled that I hooked to an old harness and load it down then drag it up hill. The only thing it doesn't simulate to dragging a deer is the snagging of antlers.

I will more than likely be packing out from now on.
I've been hiking with 100# sandbag in my pack once a week. 2.5 miles around 40 min. I'm also competing in a TTH competing this July. So "train" is above my normal level.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”