Physically Preparing for a Hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Re: Physically Preparing for a Hunt

Unread postby Czabs » Tue May 24, 2016 3:39 am

Bulking up and lifting heavy for me has nothing to do with hunting. That's all about picking up chicks and self confidence. The endurance and resistance training is so much more important than heavy lifting.

I have never done yoga, but know a couple of people who swear by it as well.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue May 24, 2016 9:41 am

Thanks for the pointers, I HATE running and cardio in general so that's something I need to work on personally.. I'll look into a prowler sled as well I've used them before training for sports, ect... and enjoyed (hated) it. I think anything specific to dragging or carrying heavy weight over long periods of time will be beneficial.

Let's keep this thread going for different workouts for hunting or just lifting in general :clap:
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
BigCedarJack
500 Club

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Tue May 24, 2016 10:06 am

I use an ALICE frame with a shelf. I load it with a 50lb mineral block and other helpful fun stuff. I've had it up to 100lbs. I put it on and go scouting, etc. This allows me to walk/hike in the exact same conditions as I'll be hunting in with more weight than I'll be packing. This made a big difference for me last year. It strengthens all sorts of things that are tough to target with temporary time and the controlled conditions of a gym. It also helped me with my balance a lot; Crossing creeks, sliding on steep inclines etc.... And I was able to do it while scouting, running cameras, etc... killing two birds with one stone.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue May 24, 2016 10:46 am

Lifting heavy has definite pluses (build muscle, increase metabolism, develops core muscles, build bone density, increases cardio, lowers blood pressure, etc...) since the average person that lifts weights is blessed to be able to put on 10 lbs of muscle in a year (outside of newbies) you would have to eat a lot, shoot drugs to "bulk up" with a sensable lifting program. 90% of the people that think they bulk up are putting fat on not muscle and that is due to diet not lifting.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Tue May 24, 2016 12:30 pm

Deer season is just over 120 out.

Just started my 5-6 day per week insanity cycle. I will do this until September.

In the last 20 years, I have been at both ends, marathon shape skinny to 30 pounds heavier and puffy.

Insanity provides the cardio shape AND muscle control we need to do what we do..all that side stepping between reed canary humps or from root ball to root and one arming off a tree to get straps connected without a crazy heart rate and the finish to set up stand without arms shaking.

It's god awful but at least the workouts are quick (30 min ish).

Come September 1, I will be back to lifting 3-4 days per week and doing insanity 2-3 days per week. This is average, I work out 5-6 days per week.

Dragging always sucks, if you shoot the buck your after it comes equipped with a fantastic brush catcher/thigh stabber and somehow at least one hoof freezes into nature's grapple hook. That's why god made does and hardwoods.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue May 24, 2016 3:18 pm

I really like the Insanity workouts too May. Hits a lot of different muscles and it works your core too.

Saturday I ran for the first time in about 8 months, my warm up mile felt good. Did 3x400 hard, with a 400 jog between. Finished it off with 20 hill sprints. Eventually I'll add another 400 and work up to 40 hill sprints.

There are a lot of ways to get in shspe, I usually switch things up throughout the year to keep things interesting. I think it really pays off (especially during the rut) when you are hunting hard day after day.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue May 24, 2016 3:26 pm

A gymnastics bridge really makes the lower back feel good if you tend to have lower back issues. I do them a couple of times a day.

wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Tue May 24, 2016 9:40 pm

Weighted pack hikes. Get a pack with an internal or external frame.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed May 25, 2016 1:09 am

You have to have a strong core. That's your center. If your going to train your body and build strength you can't just focus on one area. You need to do it all. Incline treadmill is awesome, do 3 mins of that and rotate with 2 min flat. Repeat for 30-35 mins. I train specifically to stay in shape for hunting and outdoor activity. Endurance, strength, stamina, power, it all comes into play. But all of this is for naught if your not eating correctly. Just like in serious mature buck killers, consistent is key here and only the dedicated reap the benefits.

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Wed May 25, 2016 6:05 am

I personally try to maintain a certain level of shape year round, not just for hunting. I make it a lifestyle so I experience some longevity in hunting, playing with my kids, remaining active for whatever I want to do. I eat healthy year round but will mix in some fun meals here and there. I tend to get run down physically during hunting season (or I used to when I could hunt more) so I tend to go into a about a 500 caloric surplus for a few months prior to season. I gain healthy weight (muscle and a little fat). I keep my macros in check so its a healthy bulk and will put on 10-12 pounds or so. I train during season but it suffers because my focus is on hunting and I tend to lose weight. After season I go into back into my healthy bulk and around May I'll start a 500 caloric deficit, adjust macros, to drop some body fat and lean out. I stay pretty lean and strong year round this way and it just works for me. I don't do anything specifically to train for hunting and maintain moderate cardio year round. If I hunted out west more I probably would add some other stuff but I've had no issues dragging deer or getting where I need to get with my current training.

As far as certain lifts or exercises that would simulate hunting would probably be incline treadmill, high rep deadlifts for endurance and some good leg and core work.
Last edited by Ridgerunner7 on Wed May 25, 2016 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Wed May 25, 2016 6:36 am

backpacking and trail running
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed May 25, 2016 8:16 am

I routinely dunk on the kids on our 9 ft rim. I figure I only have a few yrs before they can take me at hoops so I gotta get it while I still can. They get a few Mutombo finger wags if they bring it inside too. Gives me good cardio n keeps me in decent shape.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed May 25, 2016 8:29 am

I walk 10-12 miles a day for my job. The hunting I do physically its not to hard on me. My only weakness is if I hunt hard like sitting from dark to dark for a few days in a row sometimes I will get burn out so maybe its more of a mental thing.

tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Wed May 25, 2016 9:17 am

oldrank wrote:I routinely dunk on the kids on our 9 ft rim. I figure I only have a few yrs before they can take me at hoops so I gotta get it while I still can. They get a few Mutombo finger wags if they bring it inside too. Gives me good cardio n keeps me in decent shape.

Hahaha got to keep them in check.

May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:16 am

That is awesome rank...lol

In addition to keeping me fit, I find that working out daily through summer also causes me to drink more water and less pop or beer.
Or at least beer less often, I do find myself making up for "lost days" more often lol.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”