Physically Preparing for a Hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bones09

Re: Physically Preparing for a Hunt

Unread postby bones09 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:54 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:Hats off to those consistently doing crossfit. Its not for me. It seems like a good way to get hurt as form breaks down. Well at least that is my experience. Don't even get me start on all the kipping pull ups, curls, etc. I have a punch card for a local cross gym but regret it like a hangover the next day. It's good like a shot of tequila after a long day but every day use is counterproductive. I prefer heavy bodybuilding with good form and a balance of HIIT. Good luck on your journey.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I sometimes go to a gym that has crossfit based classes. I give them credit, they do work hard, they keep their members very motivated. That being said, the timer they use during lifts should be thrown out the window while doing classic full body lifts. I've never seen anything invite worse form in a gym than measuring qty during a time limit.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:34 am

bones09 wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:Hats off to those consistently doing crossfit. Its not for me. It seems like a good way to get hurt as form breaks down. Well at least that is my experience. Don't even get me start on all the kipping pull ups, curls, etc. I have a punch card for a local cross gym but regret it like a hangover the next day. It's good like a shot of tequila after a long day but every day use is counterproductive. I prefer heavy bodybuilding with good form and a balance of HIIT. Good luck on your journey.

I sometimes go to a gym that has crossfit based classes. I give them credit, they do work hard, they keep their members very motivated. That being said, the timer they use during lifts should be thrown out the window while doing classic full body lifts. I've never seen anything invite worse form in a gym than measuring qty during a time limit.

I think its a matter of learning what you are doing. Easy to hurt yourself no matter what type of fitness program you try, if a person jumps in w/o educating themselves. Crossfit may see a little more to that than some other programs partly because of the current hype around it and also tends to be more of a comprehensive workout than a lot of targeted programs. I think a lot of the bad stuff that happens with crossfit is with people who think they can jump in at a high level from scratch from some other program that is not nearly as comprehensive. For instance it took me 2 freaking years to learn to do legit 1-arm pushups all the way down all the way back up.

I have done a crossfit style program that I tailored to suit my needs for about 6 years now and its been good, no end in sight and definitely no injuries. I would say I have avoided many injuries over the years while working, hunting etc because of that workout...just wish crossfit wasn't such a fad cuz I hate fads and also the people that can't talk about anything but their crossfit. So I am going to shut up now :lol:
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:27 am

Crossfit is the modern day jazzercise. Interest will deminish with time. Regardless it's nice to see people take an active interest in fitness even if they can't stop talking about it.

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:54 am

Maybe I'm old school. I just pick things up and put them down, push iron, whatever you want to call it... And I mix in HIIT cardo. It helps. I can walk farther without breaking a sweat, the stand feels lighter, etc. Have been at it for only a couple of years. I take the nutrition pretty seriously too. Count calories, protein, carbs, fat and potassium. Make sure you've got enough potassium in your diet. Only 2% of the population gets the recommended about (about 4700 mg) and it's so important... The most important of electrolytes in fact.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”