Sevylor Rio

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jmaas07
500 Club

Sevylor Rio

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sun May 22, 2016 12:51 pm

Anyone use a sevylor rio for deer hunting? If so how do you like it? I'm looking for a canoe that doesn't take up any storage room, and easy to transport. This canoe looks to fit the bill. How is it with transporting gear? Transporting a buck?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PK_
500 Club

Re: Sevylor Rio

Unread postby PK_ » Mon May 23, 2016 2:11 am

I have the Rio and the Colorado. I have not been lucky enough to put a buck in one but I have used them a lot for scouting. I have used the rio with pack, stand/sticks and weapon no problem. If I killed a buck I would just lay him in it and straddle him on my knees and make a second trip to get gear out in the Rio. The Colorado will hold you and deer and gear and all no problem but is more bulky for storage, transportation and take longer to inflate/deflate and pack/unpack.

They are very durable, I have purposely run them into branches, rocks and drug them to and from the water. They are also very stable. They don't do well going through aquatic vegetation. They paddle in about a foot of water no problem. Plan on getting a little wet while using or if you want to stay dry, wear hip boots, remove the seat and just sit on your knees while paddling.

It is worth it to get a skeg if it doesn't come with one, since they don't track as well as a hardshell kayak/canoe.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Mon May 23, 2016 4:12 am

I've wonder about this canoe my self. My only concern would be it getting a hole in it an sinking. I know anything is possible how puncture proof is it?

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon May 23, 2016 7:20 am

They are pretty tough, they are constructed similar to the 'zodiac' style inflatables with that material on the outside. They are intended for whitewater rafting I believe and there are many reviews online of people using them for that with no problems bouncing off the rocks and such in moving water. As far as getting a hole and actually sinking it is very unlikely, there are 4 or 5 separate air chambers in the Rio and more than that in the Colorado, so you would need to get a hole in each chamber to actually sink it. Having said that I do secure any gear to the boat in case one side were to pop I won't loose my stuff and I do keep a hand pump and patches with me but have not had to use them. The 'hull' or underside is made of very very thick rubber, I don't see there being a stick sharp enough, strong enough or for you gain enough momentum to puncture through the bottom.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Mon May 23, 2016 8:22 am

Thanks for the responses PK. I'm going to buy a rio, feel better about it after hearing your review. probably only use it for a couple of hunts but like you said, I plan on getting more use out of it scouting. I do have one spot that is just a killer boat access, hopefully I'll get to test boating one out of there!

TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Mon May 23, 2016 9:00 am

I have throne the idea around about one bc I don't have to drag an canoe around or a long distance if the water is not even close!

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon May 23, 2016 1:47 pm

A Colorado just came an went on a local craigslist for 200. Looked like a good rig. I practiced with my tandem kayak today. Test fit of gear this week I hope.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Thu May 26, 2016 9:07 am

PK, Specs say 350lb capacity...have you done any testing to see what the rio would hold over that?

VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Mon May 30, 2016 7:48 am

But are they baffled like a Zodiac?
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon May 30, 2016 12:44 pm

jmaas07 wrote:PK, Specs say 350lb capacity...have you done any testing to see what the rio would hold over that?

I haven't. I wouldn't be surprised if it could handle way more than 350#. But the weight would need to be distributed evenly. If you don't have gators, you can simply bring an extra PFD and float the buck out behind you.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:03 am

ended up going with the Colorado..any suggestions on paddles?

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:52 am

I bought a closeout paddle from rei outlet even though my kayak came with two. The length is an important part and I am using a 240 cm. Original one was 220 and works better for my wife.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”