Wisconsin trail camera project goes live.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buck snort

Wisconsin trail camera project goes live.

Unread postby Buck snort » Fri May 20, 2016 5:50 am

Interesting, but I don't agree with leaving the cams at 2 to 3 feet off the ground. Get them up 8 or 9 feet, so the deer don't pick up on the fact that they are being watched.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outdoors ... 58911.html

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: Wisconsin trail camera project goes live.

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri May 20, 2016 5:55 am

That's pretty cool!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri May 20, 2016 5:59 am

Thats interesting. You will really be able to tell the quality of animals in Wisconsin with that many cameras and them posting the pics for the public

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri May 20, 2016 6:04 am

Hawthorne wrote:Thats interesting. You will really be able to tell the quality of animals in Wisconsin with that many cameras and them posting the pics for the public

That could also be bad with unlimited over the counter non-resident tags at only $160.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Buck snort

Unread postby Buck snort » Fri May 20, 2016 6:14 am

I wonder how it really works? I mean, if you are the one running the camera's, and you are on private land, and you get a booner on the camera, I wouldn't want to be advertising that buck lives there on your land. I wonder if you can pick and choose which pictures you can send in?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri May 20, 2016 6:24 am

Buck snort wrote:I wonder how it really works? I mean, if you are the one running the camera's, and you are on private land, and you get a booner on the camera, I wouldn't want to be advertising that buck lives there on your land. I wonder if you can pick and choose which pictures you can send in?

I'm sure that will be the case. One thing for sure is the thieves are going to be working overtime with all those extra cams out there.

Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri May 20, 2016 12:46 pm

Great idea, very interesting. Not that a thief would have a high probability of getting caught but I would imagine with that much government (Federal) funding had someone been caught in the act of stealing one of these cameras, the consequences would be tremendous.. And rightfully so.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri May 20, 2016 1:46 pm

It could provide some interesting data such as movement of game in relation to moon phase etc.

Cool idea.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat May 21, 2016 11:42 am

I agree JM...this would dwarf any 1 person's trail cam coverage even if they were spread across a huge farm. The pros far outweigh the cons. Will be interesting what gets posted...and how close to real time. There are already thousands, probably tens of thousands, of cams out across the state so its not like thieves are going to go out and find a bunch more because of this.

You wisconsonites are going to have to amp up your whining about how worthless deer hunting is in the state to balance out this publicity....lol kidding :lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat May 21, 2016 11:51 am

"Eventually, about 6,000 trail cams will be deployed across the state, according to project plans."

72 counties in the state = 83 cams per county.

That's a lot of extra cams out there! :o

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat May 21, 2016 2:22 pm

It would be interesting to see how the rut phases progress throughout the separate counties. Lots of potential.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun May 22, 2016 10:34 am

Dewey wrote:"Eventually, about 6,000 trail cams will be deployed across the state, according to project plans."

Even 5 years ago I would agree with you but camera use has been skyrocketing. I bet there are more than 100,000 cameras out in the state, at least in the fall. Maybe a lot more than that. I think a majority of properties have 1 or more cameras on them. There are three quarters of a million hunters in the state...not all own cams but a whole lot of them do. I still think this is a drop in the bucket from that standpoint. This is all guesstimation though...haven't found any research on it.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun May 22, 2016 11:20 am

JoeRE wrote:
Dewey wrote:"Eventually, about 6,000 trail cams will be deployed across the state, according to project plans."

Even 5 years ago I would agree with you but camera use has been skyrocketing. I bet there are more than 100,000 cameras out in the state, at least in the fall. Maybe a lot more than that. I think a majority of properties have 1 or more cameras on them. There are three quarters of a million hunters in the state...not all own cams but a whole lot of them do. I still think this is a drop in the bucket from that standpoint. This is all guesstimation though...haven't found any research on it.

Yeah I suppose. Just glad I have a place to hunt where cameras are still illegal. I occasionaly use them where I can but dread the day when they get so bad they will be litteraly everywhere. Hopefully this data is not linked to exact locations as that could cause some issues with competition or even poaching.

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun May 22, 2016 11:47 am

This is interesting, but I'm with Dewey on the risk it poses. With them being low to the ground I wouldn't put much stock in the bucks data. I am a believer in the 8ft rule. The proof is in the pudding for me!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Sun May 22, 2016 3:15 pm

The encryption probably prevents the boomers from getting screened out during upload.

http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”