Hardcore bedding pictures.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Hardcore bedding pictures.

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat May 21, 2016 2:12 am

Ghost Hunter wrote:Those are the examples I was looking for. How far are the rubs from those areas? The only areas that I have located like that was in the middle of the rut. The area was more in an area where hot does were at an the beds were soaked with urine an droppings so much so it could be smelled from yards away with the right wind.

The only rubs from the first bed I posted were on the edge of the island cover maybe 20-30 yards from the actual bed. It was a small sapling but waist high; the rub wasn't overly tore up either, but just enough to indicate the deer had a bigger stature than most other bucks in the area.

The second bed there isn't rubs or anything for atleast 50 yards. It was one lone small tree right where I found the mature buck tracks crossing a creek to get up to that bed.

I wouldn't have found the second bed unless I had jumped that 180 plus the first time in that area; the sign in the bed itself only indicated a single large deer had bedded there. I wouldn't have been drawn to that area had I not actually seen a huge buck jump from that bed. after seeing the buck, I looked around and found the other sign indicating a better than average buck used that area.

Piecing together bedding takes time and its a lot like putting a puzzle together over many years.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat May 21, 2016 2:20 am

A perspective picture from the first bed picture I posted.

It's just an old overgrown fencerow. I'd suspect very few humans have ever ventured out to this area. Big Farmland bucks love utilizing these type spots.
Buck snort

Unread postby Buck snort » Sat May 21, 2016 2:22 am

Here is a great buck bed spot.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat May 21, 2016 2:30 am

seazofcheeze wrote:
JoeRE wrote:Almost all the great big buck bedding locations I have found, I figured out were great NOT by physical sign of a heavily worn bed but by secondary observations sometimes over several years. Tracks to and from it every time I scout the area, trail cam pics, dead bucks in beds, observations. I could show you dozens and dozens of buck beds in good locations with a good tall rub or two near them here in hill country....most get used occasionally, a few bedding locations get a ton of use by big bucks and those are the ones I always try to find. Like I mentioned, often I figure out what sets certain bedding apart only by long term, low impact observations. Its usually not just a bed that is more worn, with more rubs around it, than anywhere else. In hill country its often a few lighter used beds in a small area.

Maybe I am just not a very instinctive hunter, but I suspect most folks are the same way. The best bedding are in the most secure locations but that doesn't tell you much without deep knowledge of the area, how humans use it, etc, etc.

I'm seeing this more and more myself. I'm in a transition phase as a hunter where I am trying to focus more on terrain, security, and pressure and less on rut sign. It's very counter intuitive at times, and I find myself struggling a lot.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

This was going to be my next observation. Most of the beds I am finding are a result of knowing there are bucks in the area that I want to hunt. I know there are good bucks in the area...where are they bedding? Or I find a certain amount of sign than track back to understand where they are coming from. A lot of what I am scouting over the spring I have an intimate knowledge of the whole area. I can tell you where every apple tree is...where the best oak flats are, trails, edges... Many times, I know what deer are using an area. Its a lot of problem solving. So when I find the beds, I know many times, from other observations, thats where the buck I was hunting ...thats where he was bedding.

I also have brandnew areas with sign that is indicating there are bucks in the area. Lots of sign. Rubs, scrapes. But, without hunting them, without observing them, the stand placements are a guessing game based on terrain, wind direction, entry...many will be adjusted as the season progress. Some may not even be hunted as there are no bucks in the area worth hunting this season.

Also, because of the amount of security cover and low deer densities, most beds are not worn out to the mud type beds. And, as others have mentioned, bedding areas are more productive then actual beds. Most times, I could not hunt individual beds if I wanted to.

Sometimes its tough -- there is just so much more to this stuff than just finding a bed and hunting it. Bedding is just a piece to a much bigger puzzle.
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Sat May 21, 2016 5:10 am

purebowhunting wrote:This is the bed I'm most excited to hunt this fall. It in a text book spot, a wet bottom between 2 public parking spots where everyone walks past. This bed is pounded, he has water and brush at least 50 yards in all directions. There are less used beds around where lesser bucks bed when this one is taken. There are some rubs in the wet area but not a ton. I think when the pressure is on, the bucks will be here and this year so will I! :L:

Good luck this fall. That spot looks killer.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat May 21, 2016 8:48 am

This one was picked out off an aerial. I thought if there's a buck bedding anywhere here, this would be the obvious spot. Sure enough the bed was right where it was suppose to be. I went back a week later and kicked two bucks out of this bedding. One looked like a three year old.

Beds in the middle of some hollow yellow cane. They love open pockets in situations like this (often canary grass). They rub and scrape about 100 yards away when they hit the trees. (below)

Buck bed in a thicket patch. Rub line leading toward food pictured below

Staging area. Beds are 50 yards away near a river... Food is 150 yards away in the opposite direction.

I'll post more later

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”