A hunters journey...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetailassasin

A hunters journey...

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed May 18, 2016 4:01 am

I wanted to be genuine here and candid with you all. I've been thinking a lot of the posts and all the hard work we all put in chasing the animals we so passionately love.

In no way shape or form am I saying I know it all in the whitetail world. I learn season to season, but with the limited good hunting ground within reasonable driving distance in my home state of Michigan, I've been noticing each season my prep work doesn't require the same work as it does learning an area once you've put the pieces together.

Now I know there's always new areas, but for the drive and time it takes, I'd personally rather head out of state and pursue whitetails in places where it's worth the time, effort and money. Have any of you experienced this? Is this normal to be feeling as if you want more? Am I being to greedy? I'm not struggling with this, but I have been putting this into perspective. I have an insatiable drive and thirst for mature whitetails. I study maps, read tons of info, and put in the work. It's like I feel my passion is leading me into new regions and pulling me to chase mature whitetails for the journey and experience. I know I can be brash, hard headed and boisterous of my opinions, but my heart bleeds whitetails and talking them with all of you.

I'm looking for that next level in my chase and the limited success I've had, has only fueled me deeper. I want to share camps with many of you fellow beasts to share stories and get to know you and your methods and skills. To look back on a buck mounted on my wall and say I shot that in Wisconsin sharing a camp with Bucky in 2016, or Bayshorebucks8 in Missouri, just examples because there are many I would love to call my friends and do a yearly trip with.

I'm stoked and excited for what lies ahead, and I'm enjoying the moments more every year. Does anyone else seriously put thought to this, and not just a thought but really intend on putting forth the action necessarily to make it happen? If so I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thank you for reading my thoughts on this and your responses.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

briar
500 Club

Re: A hunters journey...

Unread postby briar » Wed May 18, 2016 4:21 am

If this is truly what you want to do, trust me as someone that has aged out of that opportunity, DO IT!!! I guess I can't guess how old you are, but when I was in my 20's and up to middle 30's I was just so happy working and hunting with good friends. Unfortunately for me all my friends grew up and had families and there time, money, and desire for this kind of thing simply was gone and now as I hit 40 I never get to spend any time with them whatsoever and hunting/scouting/anything has become more of a solo pastime.

I know a lot of hunters are solo at their craft, but I always enjoyed having a like motivated buddy to share hunting with. Having that gone took a huge part away from my life and not a week goes by that I don't look back and wish a little for those days. So do what you have to do so get as much out of life as you can.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed May 18, 2016 4:27 am

I am always looking for my next great adventure. For me it is looking like its leading to hunting bear in the upper peninsula. I am putting it together for a hunt this fall. As for whitetails, I have alot of goals I want to accomplish in Michigan. My future is an open book and Im not really sure where I will go as I flip through the pages.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Wed May 18, 2016 4:37 am

I would so go for it if that's what you want to do an you can afford it an your family is ok with it do it! I'm 31 an thinking of starting some trips soon. More so with my dad before he gets to old to go. Then some with some buddies I've been friends with along time. Go chase those big boys while u can we are not promised tomorrow!

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed May 18, 2016 4:42 am

Jason - you know I am in :) At this stage of my game I enjoy meeting new folks and exploring new ground as much as anything..... those are the lasting memories. Hopefully we can meet up in Ohio this year - if not my plan is Wisconsin and KS or KY next year (outside OK, TX and Ohio).... we should be able to make something happen for sure next season. Heck I 'd like to hang out with your pops and hear his side of this years story lol......

My plan right now is to hunt with my buds in Ohio 6-11 Nov - but If I don't knock one down I might could stay around some additional time and we could hit some public ground in the SE? Well talk as season gets closer and your plans solidify
Last edited by DaveT1963 on Wed May 18, 2016 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed May 18, 2016 4:55 am

Life is all about the memories you make so if this is your passion go for it and don't hold back. In my 20's-30's I did a lot of traveling around hunting and even though I had limited success I will cherish those memories forever. Looking back those were the best times of my life. It's all about the journey so never let trophies consume you so much that you lose sight of that. Life is short so make the best of it while you can, before you know it age will catch up with you and you will regret not chasing your dreams.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed May 18, 2016 4:57 am

I always enjoyed hunting with a buddy or two more than solo trips - I'd go if I were you, and you can afford it.

Seems like every time I hold myself back from doing something like that, I inevitably regret it 5-10-15 yrs later. Passed up a Sambar hunt in St Vincents Island, FL and a MT guided mule deer/antelope hunt cause I lost my job one year - should have gone anyway. "next time"
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed May 18, 2016 5:17 am

whitetailassasin wrote:I wanted to be genuine here and candid with you all. I've been thinking a lot of the posts and all the hard work we all put in chasing the animals we so passionately love.

In no way shape or form am I saying I know it all in the whitetail world. I learn season to season, but with the limited good hunting ground within reasonable driving distance in my home state of Michigan, I've been noticing each season my prep work doesn't require the same work as it does learning an area once you've put the pieces together.

Now I know there's always new areas, but for the drive and time it takes, I'd personally rather head out of state and pursue whitetails in places where it's worth the time, effort and money. Have any of you experienced this? Is this normal to be feeling as if you want more? Am I being to greedy? I'm not struggling with this, but I have been putting this into perspective. I have an insatiable drive and thirst for mature whitetails. I study maps, read tons of info, and put in the work. It's like I feel my passion is leading me into new regions and pulling me to chase mature whitetails for the journey and experience. I know I can be brash, hard headed and boisterous of my opinions, but my heart bleeds whitetails and talking them with all of you.

I'm looking for that next level in my chase and the limited success I've had, has only fueled me deeper. I want to share camps with many of you fellow beasts to share stories and get to know you and your methods and skills. To look back on a buck mounted on my wall and say I shot that in Wisconsin sharing a camp with Bucky in 2016, or Bayshorebucks8 in Missouri, just examples because there are many I would love to call my friends and do a yearly trip with.

I'm stoked and excited for what lies ahead, and I'm enjoying the moments more every year. Does anyone else seriously put thought to this, and not just a thought but really intend on putting forth the action necessarily to make it happen? If so I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thank you for reading my thoughts on this and your responses.

1000% yes!!! I have been round and round with this one. Once I started to go to the midwest in 2004, I really started looking at the state I lived in...and decided it really was just not worth it. I remember in 2008 and 2009 I bassed fished with my flyrod most of the summer. Really did not put a lot of effort into whitetails. I was going to kill some does, maybe a small buck. I was getting chances to kill better bucks elsewhere, why bust me hump to kill a 100" whitetail.

In 2009, decided to go further into the heart of the midwest. Was planning on hitting Missouri in 2009 but then decided on KS. Best decision I ever made. It meant more time, more thought, more cyberscouting. Endless hours of research but the effort I put forth has resulted in some of the best deer hunting memories I have ever had. My best friend and I have had an amazing time. Memories to be cherished forever.

Circle back around to 2010/2011 I decided to really start chasing bigger bucks in Maine. Meant off season scouting, seriously running trailcameras, scouting new property and just flat out trying to spend time finding bigger bucks in my home state. I will say, it makes me a better hunter. Hunting in tougher places hones yours skills and keeps you sharp.

Its something we all wrestle with and decide what its worth to us. In the end, I have come to the realization, I love to hunt. No matter where I am. I just have to adjust my expectations.

If I lived in MI, I would be doing a lot of the same thing.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed May 18, 2016 7:14 am

Good for you. I think you'll be happy hunting out of state. I've heard nothing but good things leaving Michigan to deer hunt. Im hunting Ohio this year and possibly Indiana. Even tho its not the famous area of Ohio, im still looking foward to the challenge.

BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Wed May 18, 2016 7:22 am

I'm doing my first out of state hunt this year with brother in law and some other friends. I'm stoked to say the least, and I have private property that would be great if I managed it and got neighbors on board, but I have more fun hunting public land with these guys then I've ever had making solo hunts.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed May 18, 2016 9:20 am

If you can make your dreams come true, go for it. Keeping the bills paid and family life in order is not the be all end all.

My other hobby is motorcycle riding and people consider similar endeavors all the time and talk about it online. Other countries, longer trips,the next bike ; the similarities are unmistakable.
Go ahead and follow your heart and hopefully there will be no regrets.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Wed May 18, 2016 4:59 pm

Cant wait to hit the frickin road already.... is it sept yet?

Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Thu May 19, 2016 2:24 am

Set it up and go. It will be the most fun you will have in the woods. I go every year with my old roomies from college. They don't hunt beast style but it doesn't matter. You will remember old times and make new stories. Do it. You won't regret it

Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Thu May 19, 2016 2:26 pm

Go get after it. Enjoy every minute of the whole adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”