Lining it all up.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Lining it all up.

Unread postby oldrank » Sun May 15, 2016 1:16 pm

One thing I have been focused on in my quest to understand the minds of big buck killers is their ability to "Line it all up". From my limited personal experiences with trophy whitetails to the countless books and articles ive read to my interactions on this forum with some of Americas elite whitetail minds, ive noticed a similarity that stands out. The ablity to put together details that significantly up the odds in the hunters favor.

Some guys pay attention to details of the wind, moon, amount of daylight or dark in correlation to legal hours, rut factor, scrapes, beds, rubs, temp, ect ect. It seems to me when these things all align is when guys put the smack down. Paying attention to all the details n putting yourself in the right place at the right time pays off big.

How many times a year do we cut our own possibilities to 50% ,40% or 30%??
Yet other guys can take 3 day trips out of state n knock down a trophy. I feel as I progress as a Beast I see my self increasing the knowledge to Line it all up myself.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by oldrank on Sun May 15, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bowkill00

Re: Lining it all up.

Unread postby bowkill00 » Sun May 15, 2016 1:51 pm

Very good post. The odds are in the favor of the one who plays the odds....haha

Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon May 16, 2016 3:04 am

I'm a 3 month beast reader & video watcher, and see a lot of difference in what the Beasts do compared to what normal folks do. They do increase the odds quite a bit.

If I had to call one thing as the biggest odds increaser, it is being near the deer. The Beast is hunting the deer and not the food source or deer sign. The Beast is hunting the DEER.

Most guys go an wander around, find a few deer trails and decides to sit there because of the trails. They don't know where the deer are coming from or where they are going, just that they pass thru there every so often. Then the hunter waits for the deer to pass. It happens once or so each season , so it is a good spot.

The Beast knows the deer bed at X and eat at Y. The Beast sets up close to X when the wind is right and the deer sign tells him that the deer are likely there. If no, then the Beast moves to spot #2, #3, #4 until it lines up and the hunt is on. The other guy has been in his stand and sees the Beast leaving cause the deer aren't there right now - he has no idea, thinking he's in the right spot.

I've been the other guy for so long, I'm embarrassed to admit it. About 40 years of sitting and waiting when I should have been finding them. Still alive & kicking. Time to step it up a notch or two.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon May 16, 2016 5:04 am

I used to be the other guy myself. That all changed the day I watched Marsh Bucks.

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Mon May 16, 2016 5:54 am

I think the vast majority of us start as the other guy, myself included.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon May 16, 2016 6:00 am

I feel there is a group of guys that are in transition. I see guys like you cheeze that I will not be suprised this yr to see knock down a buck of a lifetime.

cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Mon May 16, 2016 7:54 am

Rich M wrote:I'm a 3 month beast reader & video watcher, and see a lot of difference in what the Beasts do compared to what normal folks do. They do increase the odds quite a bit.

If I had to call one thing as the biggest odds increaser, it is being near the deer. The Beast is hunting the deer and not the food source or deer sign. The Beast is hunting the DEER.

Most guys go an wander around, find a few deer trails and decides to sit there because of the trails. They don't know where the deer are coming from or where they are going, just that they pass thru there every so often. Then the hunter waits for the deer to pass. It happens once or so each season , so it is a good spot.

The Beast knows the deer bed at X and eat at Y. The Beast sets up close to X when the wind is right and the deer sign tells him that the deer are likely there. If no, then the Beast moves to spot #2, #3, #4 until it lines up and the hunt is on. The other guy has been in his stand and sees the Beast leaving cause the deer aren't there right now - he has no idea, thinking he's in the right spot.

I've been the other guy for so long, I'm embarrassed to admit it. About 40 years of sitting and waiting when I should have been finding them. Still alive & kicking. Time to step it up a notch or two.

Great observation, especially for a young beast.
Lots of scouting, eliminating ground, accumulating experiences and putting it all together, and a lot of drive!
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Mon May 16, 2016 7:57 am

I was one of those guys waiting on the rut to get a crack at a big buck. I knew ten years ago that I need to find exactly the spot where the buck bedded but that was a mystery when u are one of the other guys. Now I know where too look for the big boys an had a great spring scouting. I see my learning curve on knowing where to looking slowing down if that makes sense but now it's all the small details timing, wind be patient don't just go hunt being able to map it all out see the whole picture an reading the not so noticeable sign being confident even when it's a tough season. Some of those things we take a while to get where I want to be at. But my point is I see the same thing out of great killers the small details set them apart from the rest. Same thing in sports u may have a good team but the small mistakes keep u from winning an being a great team.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon May 16, 2016 8:29 am

TNstalker wrote:I was one of those guys waiting on the rut to get a crack at a big buck. I knew ten years ago that I need to find exactly the spot where the buck bedded but that was a mystery when u are one of the other guys. Now I know where too look for the big boys an had a great spring scouting. I see my learning curve on knowing where to looking slowing down if that makes sense but now it's all the small details timing, wind be patient don't just go hunt being able to map it all out see the whole picture an reading the not so noticeable sign being confident even when it's a tough season. Some of those things we take a while to get where I want to be at. But my point is I see the same thing out of great killers the small details set them apart from the rest. Same thing in sports u may have a good team but the small mistakes keep u from winning an being a great team.

Exactly.

I look back in my journal n some of the areas I was focused on just 3 yrs ago are not even on my radar. Even last season to the up coming season I feel I have taken steps forward. I would say at this point in my life I understand buck behavior better than I ever have. I still have so far to go but there is a method to my madness at least. The method is backed by data not hope.

tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Mon May 16, 2016 10:04 am

Great post. I was that other guy just a few years ago. My confidence is up for this upcoming season. I feel as I'm playing the best odds I've ever had delt. Trail cams are about to go out so we shall see.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon May 16, 2016 10:21 am

We will see if my scouting pays off this fall. Only my second season since joining the beast. My set ups and the way I look at a property has changed. I hope im doing things right always that little doubt. Trying to just be 100% confident

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon May 16, 2016 10:37 am

I have 4 different stand combos I can use this yr. I have a saddle, climber n 2 different sets of sticks n stands. Last yr I really felt limited with my climber. I really wanna peg down my set ups. That n understanding my beds/wind connection. Im gonna do a map review with Dan n see if he can help me break it down better. It really helps me to be able to pick the brains of the guys that get it done. As most of us know trying to talk deer strategy with ur avg guy usually ends in a blank stare.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon May 16, 2016 10:46 am

Hawthorne wrote:We will see if my scouting pays off this fall. Only my second season since joining the beast. My set ups and the way I look at a property has changed. I hope im doing things right always that little doubt. Trying to just be 100% confident

Id like to see ya get a good one. I know ur putting in the work.

TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Mon May 16, 2016 12:40 pm

I here most of my buddies I talking hunting with say I think the buck is bedding over there in such I such spot. I have told them several times u can't guess at it u need to know but they want ever try bed hunting so I gave up on them lol!

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon May 16, 2016 2:16 pm

I would guess that there are guys that have tackled all of this buck bedding stuff and been disappointed when the season comes around. Everything that looked so promising in the spring ...turned out to not be so promising in the fall. Its made simple by a lot of guys who have done this for a long time.

The more time you spend in the woods/timber/swamp/marsh -- the better a hunter you will become. The easier it becomes to "line it all up". I really think that a lot of guys lose interest in scouting because they flat out don't understand what they are looking at or looking for. This place really keeps everyone pretty excited about getting out and putting the pieces together.

Whether your a seasoned hunter or not so seasoned, there is always something to learn.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”