Lining it all up.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Re: Lining it all up.

Unread postby oldrank » Tue May 17, 2016 9:48 am

JoeRE wrote:Nobody ever figures it all out. Think Dan has it all figured out? I am sure he could list many things he learned this past year. For instance he was close-but-not-quite on that northwoods public land giant on the bear bait early last season. Makes a good story but not much of a taxidermy bill. So don't worry about figuring it all out no one does. I think the more you know the more you realize you don't know.

So I just stumbled across an article that Mark Kenyon posted today that sums up what I was talking about in my previous post. When I wrote my earlier post I had not seen this yet...IMO this is the secret behind consistent success. http://wiredtohunt.com/2016/05/16/get-a-little-crazy/

Good article Joe. The guys that get crazy are not afraid to push the limits of their comfort zone. Most hit a wall of some sort they are not willing to cross. For years it was navigating in the dark for me. If access wasnt easy in and out odds are I wouldnt hunt it. It wasnt until I forced myself to do it that it became "normal".

I believe Dan came very close on that buck. One or two small things didnt line up right for him. If hind site was 20-20 I bet Dan knows what he could have done that day to put an arrow in him.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue May 17, 2016 10:33 am

mainebowhunter wrote:I would guess that there are guys that have tackled all of this buck bedding stuff and been disappointed when the season comes around. Everything that looked so promising in the spring ...turned out to not be so promising in the fall. Its made simple by a lot of guys who have done this for a long time

For me the success over shadowed the failures from day one. I found beds n hunted them n had big bucks come out. Thats when I bought in to it. It worked just like Dan said it would. My kills went up. My buck sightings went up n my buck avg size is going up. I am a good day away from a great buck. If I can link together him being there, the right wind, a quiet entrance, good thermals, him exiting down the right trail, a clear lane n a true arrow.. He will die.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue May 17, 2016 11:03 am

I believe Dan came very close on that buck. One or two small things didnt line up right for him. If hind site was 20-20 I bet Dan knows what he could have done that day to put an arrow in him.

I think that buck is haunting Dan, and he wants a "do over"...
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue May 17, 2016 11:08 am

dan wrote:

I was thinking as I was typing above that I would bet that story isnt over. Haha

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue May 17, 2016 11:17 am

dan wrote:

I'm glad to see the BBSK himself has a ghost or two that haunts him. That's hunting though, right? Sometimes the deer have to win...just sucks when it's a good one.

I know those memories stick with me as much or more than the successes, because I don't want to ever make the mistakes I made those days that cost me.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue May 17, 2016 11:36 am

oldrank wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:I would guess that there are guys that have tackled all of this buck bedding stuff and been disappointed when the season comes around. Everything that looked so promising in the spring ...turned out to not be so promising in the fall. Its made simple by a lot of guys who have done this for a long time

For me the success over shadowed the failures from day one. I found beds n hunted them n had big bucks come out. Thats when I bought in to it. It worked just like Dan said it would. My kills went up. My buck sightings went up n my buck avg size is going up. I am a good day away from a great buck. If I can link together him being there, the right wind, a quiet entrance, good thermals, him exiting down the right trail, a clear lane n a true arrow.. He will die.

100% agreed. I think once you have been successful, its all knowing about the bedding. Successful encounters or a successful hunt. And success breeds confidence...confidence breeds success.

Be fun to follow along with all you guys this coming season.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue May 17, 2016 11:41 am

dan wrote:

He needed to grow another year anyway. :mrgreen:

That buck is going to be unbelievable this year especially with the mild winter.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue May 17, 2016 11:56 am

Is there a thread about Dan hunting that buck? If there was I missed it. I remember the trail cam pic he got on his bear bait

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue May 17, 2016 12:24 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Is there a thread about Dan hunting that buck? If there was I missed it. I remember the trail cam pic he got on his bear bait

Yeah.. Search Bear Bait Buck.. It should come up.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue May 17, 2016 12:27 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30547&hilit=bear+bait+buck

Here it is

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue May 17, 2016 12:35 pm

Thanks

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue May 17, 2016 1:31 pm

oldrank wrote:http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30547&hilit=bear+bait+buck

Here it is

Bumped the thread...good read.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”